Currently "quarantined" on the Escape

On right now and quarantined, unfortunately. Pretty sure it's food poisoning but there was an incident two nights ago in Spice H2O where a woman threw up all over the deck and into her hands and started touching everything, meanwhile no one with is getting someone to help. I managed to get someone'a attention but the vomit was still there when I left. Just an FYI - they don't seem to handle things like this very well. I went to the infirmary extremely dehydrated with an elevated heart rate and all they did was give me some anti-nausea pills and some gatorade. And this cost me over $200. They don't even officially quarantine you, they just ask that you don't leave your room for 24 hours. When I asked if I would be able to get a refund for our NCL shore excursions in Tortola tomorrow, they said there was "no guarantee". They're also still charging me the $7.95 "convenience" fee for room service even though I can't leave the room to eat elsewhere. Really sad to have not been able to see St. Thomas and St. John today :( The woman we were supposed to sail to St. John with today said it was the first sunny day they've had in a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

On right now and quarantined, unfortunately. Pretty sure it's food poisoning but there was an incident two nights ago in Spice H2O where a woman threw up all over the deck and into her hands and started touching everything, meanwhile no one with is getting someone to help. I managed to get someone'a attention but the vomit was still there when I left. Just an FYI - they don't seem to handle things like this very well. I went to the infirmary extremely dehydrated with an elevated heart rate and all they did was give me some anti-nausea pills and some gatorade. And this cost me over $200. They don't even officially quarantine you, they just ask that you don't leave your room for 24 hours. When I asked if I would be able to get a refund for our NCL shore excursions in Tortola tomorrow, they said there was "no guarantee". They're also still charging me the $7.95 "convenience" fee for room service even though I can't leave the room to eat elsewhere. Really sad to have not been able to see St. Thomas and St. John today :( The woman we were supposed to sail to St. John with today said it was the first sunny day they've had in a week.

First, let me say, I certainly hope you are feeling better!!! Second, I can't even freaking believe they have the nerve to charge you a ROOM SERVICE FEE!!!!

That just takes the nickle and dimming to a whole new level of crazy!!!

And so not impressed with your treatment from the infirmary....that's just ridiculous!

When you feel better go down to the service desk and ask for those fees to be removed....SMH....

I remember when the room service fee was first implemented, this came up as a scenario regarding what would NCL do. Well now we know for sure. They'll charge which will make some people go to the buffet to get food themselves instead of paying the fee resulting in infecting others.

Hope you feel better soon op.

Hope you feel better. Is it a noro (or noro like) outbreak affecting many people? Or is it just that woman had some illness and managed to infect others including you?

That stinks that you missed a port because of this. Hope you can get the room service charge removed and the infirmary as well, especially if you got it from this woman.

Hope you feel better. Is it a noro (or noro like) outbreak affecting many people? Or is it just that woman had some illness and managed to infect others including you?

That stinks that you missed a port because of this. Hope you can get the room service charge removed and the infirmary as well, especially if you got it from this woman.

They didnt mention a noro outbreak and I really don't think it's noro, nor do I think that woman infected me (at least I hope not!) I just mentioned that incident because I was surprised to see that, with all the noro nonsense happening on other ships, nobody was taking that very seriously [emoji17]

I've seen lots of people here post about the room service fee being waived when they were quarantined. You need to push for this, because it's not usually charged in these cases.

Sorry you are sick.

I remember when the room service fee was first implemented, this came up as a scenario regarding what would NCL do. Well now we know for sure. They'll charge which will make some people go to the buffet to get food themselves instead of paying the fee resulting in infecting others.

Hope you feel better soon op.

Thank you! I appreciate that. I thought about this too - never thought it'd apply to me! Rest assured that I will not be trying to get my own food, though. I'd rather eat the fee than make everyone miss a port!

Edited by kayleighbayleigh

They didnt mention a noro outbreak and I really don't think it's noro, nor do I think that woman infected me (at least I hope not!) I just mentioned that incident because I was surprised to see that, with all the noro nonsense happening on other ships, nobody was taking that very seriously [emoji17]

If you had noro, you'd know it. It's sudden, violent and short-lived (though it feels like an eternity while you're going through it).

You said you were extremely dehydrated - were you vomiting too? Later you said you didn't think she had infected you.

Noro spreads like wildfire, but food poisoning (if that's the other option) is much more contained, and less of a concern about spreading - because they won't have eaten the same thing.

I respect that you have self-quarantined, and suggest that you write a polite note to the Hotel Director tomorrow, explaining the doctor's suggestion, your acquiescence, and request removal of the ShoreEx, and Room Service charges.

The Med Center charge will likely stick, as they don't seem to think you have noro. Often they will waive the fees for somebody presenting with noro, to encourage people to attend the office.

Stephen

I've seen lots of people here post about the room service fee being waived when they were quarantined. You need to push for this, because it's not usually charged in these cases.

Sorry you are sick.

Thank you! I'll definitely push for it when my 24 hours is up. I'm betting it was just a communication error and whoever charged it didn't realize I was quarantined.

If you had noro, you'd know it. It's sudden, violent and short-lived (though it feels like an eternity while you're going through it).

You said you were extremely dehydrated - were you vomiting too? Later you said you didn't think she had infected you.

Noro spreads like wildfire, but food poisoning (if that's the other option) is much more contained, and less of a concern about spreading - because they won't have eaten the same thing.

I respect that you have self-quarantined, and suggest that you write a polite note to the Hotel Director tomorrow, explaining the doctor's suggestion, your acquiescence, and request removal of the ShoreEx, and Room Service charges.

The Med Center charge will likely stick, as they don't seem to think you have noro. Often they will waive the fees for somebody presenting with noro, to encourage people to attend the office.

Stephen

I was vomiting, yes. They made me fill out a bunch of those CDC forms and they "officially" diagnosed me with Acute Gastroenteritis (which is viral) and then gave me the quarantine speech. I'm taking precautions but I really just think I had some bad lobster last night :(

I'm sorry you feel sick. You said you felt that the treatment from the doctor was inadequate. What would you have changed?

For food poisoning, the standard treatment is to rehydrate and electrolytes (IE: Gatorade) and to let it pass its course on its own. In severe cases, antibiotics are prescribed.

For elevated heart rate, unless this is a chronic thing or happens a lots, it's usually not treated. At any rate, the best course of action would be to have a primary care doctor treat it if its serious.

And as far as the "unofficial quarantine", if it's not norovirus why would they quarantine you?

I'm sorry you feel sick. You said you felt that the treatment from the doctor was inadequate. What would you have changed?

For food poisoning, the standard treatment is to rehydrate and electrolytes (IE: Gatorade) and to let it pass its course on its own. In severe cases, antibiotics are prescribed.

For elevated heart rate, unless this is a chronic thing or happens a lots, it's usually not treated. At any rate, the best course of action would be to have a primary care doctor treat it if its serious.

And as far as the "unofficial quarantine", if it's not norovirus why would they quarantine you?

I've gone to the hospital for dehydration before, and was given an IV to quickly replenish fluids both times. Giving me gatorade to rehydrate didn't help very quickly because I was still vomiting and wasn't keeping liquids down. It isn't a unofficial quarantine - they definitely gave me paperwork stating that I was diagnosed with Acute Gastroenteritis and was to remain in my room. I use quotation marks because they don't seem to enforce the rule.

You should be able to have your excursion cost refunded to you if the ship's doctor gives you a note for the excursion desk that you should not go on the excursion.

My husband has a mushroom sensitivity and develops severe gastro-intestinal symptoms from both ends at the same time approximately two hours after eating them.

We were having lunch in the Blue Lagoon before an afternoon excursion. Even though he very carefully checked with the cook and the supervisor in the Blue Lagoon, he found a mushroom in the dish he ordered.

He quickly called over the supervisor, showed him the mushroom and said he didn't want to go on the excursion because he was afraid he would be very socially unacceptable in a few hours.

The supervisor called the medical center and told my husband to see the doctor immediately. The doctor listened to his concerns, wrote a note for the excursion desk that it was medically advisable that my husband not go on the excursion.

My husband took the note immediately to the excursion desk and was told it was NCL policy to refund the excursion when the ship's doctor stated it was advised to not go on the excursion.

There was no charge for the doctor's visit.

You should be able to have your excursion cost refunded to you if the ship's doctor gives you a note for the excursion desk that you should not go on the excursion.

My husband has a mushroom sensitivity and develops severe gastro-intestinal symptoms from both ends at the same time approximately two hours after eating them.

We were having lunch in the Blue Lagoon before an afternoon excursion. Even though he very carefully checked with the cook and the supervisor in the Blue Lagoon, he found a mushroom in the dish he ordered.

He quickly called over the supervisor, showed him the mushroom and said he didn't want to go on the excursion because he was afraid he would be very socially unacceptable in a few hours.

The supervisor called the medical center and told my husband to see the doctor immediately. The doctor listened to his concerns, wrote a note for the excursion desk that it was medically advisable that my husband not go on the excursion.

My husband took the note immediately to the excursion desk and was told it was NCL policy to refund the excursion when the ship's doctor stated it was advised to not go on the excursion.

There was no charge for the doctor's visit.

Thanks for the info! Did your husband end up being okay? I hope so - that's scary!

He had only taken a few bites of food before he found the mushroom. He doesn't need to eat the mushroom, just something that has been in contact with the mushroom.

He ended up with some very mild symptoms, just some burps and gas, and he was OK to go to dinner that night.

Last year, my husband and I were on the Pearl. A woman collapsed and vomited in an elevator. We tried to help her. Needless to say, the next day I became ill. Then as soon as I started feeling well, my husband took ill. One or the other was quarantined for three days. We think it was norovirus, but it was never confirmed. The medical charges and room service fees were waived. I felt our treatment was barely adequate. We'll cruise again but haven't been ready as yet.

Last year, my husband and I were on the Pearl. A woman collapsed and vomited in an elevator. We tried to help her. Needless to say, the next day I became ill. Then as soon as I started feeling well, my husband took ill. One or the other was quarantined for three days. We think it was norovirus, but it was never confirmed. The medical charges and room service fees were waived. I felt our treatment was barely adequate. We'll cruise again but haven't been ready as yet.

What kind of treatment is expected? We've had tons of stomach bugs in this house, not one has required a trip to the doctor, even the 11 day one with toddlers. Small amount of liquid, every 15 minutes. No food until at least 12 hour vomit free, and then the BRAT diet. That's it.

You can go to guest service and ask that the room service fee being waived when they were quarantined. You need to push for this, because it's not usually charged in these cases.

Sorry you are sick. Feel Better