formal dress

Crazy Kris

Can anyone tell me if women still wear the formal sequined attire for formal night, or is it out of style? Thanks, Kris:confused:

It really depends on the line. If you are sailing Cunard, you would want something quite formal - while on NCL, you most likely would not. On HAL and Celebrity, possibly Princess as well, a few still dress up for some evenings, but it is not really required.

It really depends on the line. If you are sailing Cunard, you would want something quite formal - while on NCL, you most likely would not. On HAL and Celebrity, possibly Princess as well, a few still dress up for some evenings, but it is not really required.

I second this. I will bring a business suit, mostly for photos with DW, but I leave the tux behind. One day I might sail on a line where a tux wouldn't be the exception.

Can anyone tell me if women still wear the formal sequined attire for formal night, or is it out of style? Thanks, Kris:confused:

Very seldom do we see nowadays ladies with sequined attire on formal nights. Mostly casual attire except on itineraries cruising out of Southampton R/T where majority of passengers are from the UK who still wear tux and elegant long gowns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am reading between the lines here. It sounds like this question is specific to a woman wanting to know if she can still wear her sequined dress on formal night. YES, you can. You will see other sequins. You will see them on other passengers, and all over the bathroom floor as well. :D:D:D

My husband and I are in our early 40's and we love the aspect of getting dressed up on the formal nights. My husband wears a tux and I wear a fancy ballgown type dress. We have never been out of place. Some people dress up a lot and some people dress up a little, but you won't be criticized for either choice. We have done this on Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and most recently Norwegian. In fact, we find that others will compliment our choice of attire, as we move throughout the ship that night. We enjoy dressing up, since we don't get the chance to do it at home too often. We also enjoy getting one nice photo from each cruise as a keepsake of when we are dressed up.

If your cruise papers say there's a formal night, then, yes, there will be formal clothes worn. If you're sailing from the UK it will be around 95% who comply; If you're on a UK managed ship then you won't be allowed in certain bars or MDR if you're not in formal.

Some USA managed ships sailing from the UK will have a majority of Brits/Irish who will dress up.

If there's no mention of formal nights, then there's no strict rules.

Our last five cruises have been on Princess...and the last three had three formal nights. Your degree of dressing up is up to you. Some women wear glitzy gowns, other like me might wear cocktail length. some wear a silky one piece pants outfit. a whole range. Some may go more casual, but if you aren't interested in dressing up, there are many options for the "formal nights" from ultra casual (the buffet, the poolside eateries) to smart casual (the specialty restaurants). For other cruise lines, you can ask on those specific boards.

Plus, each cruise line has a website with a lot of great info.

If you want to wear sequins then wear them and enjoy the moment. Don't be overly concerned about conformity. Just go and enjoy yourself. I assume that you are dressing for you and your partner's enjoyment...not for others on the cruise!

We cruise on several lines and find that there is a great deal of variance between lines, and between cruises on the same line. HAL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, RCI, and once Crystal.

We stopped attending formal night in the MDR several years ago. Not a biggie for us plus we now only travel with carry on. Despite that, we do not stay in our cabin all evening so we get to see all manner of dress from tux and long gowns to something a little less than what would be referred to as business casual or chic.

Edited by iancal

Its your vacation enjoy yourself with what makes you comfortable...From tuxes to suit and ties from sequined gowns to that little black dress they are all good. Always seems like a party when we are dressed up....For me the surprise is seeing what clothes my wife has packed for me..

I'm in my 40's & still bring gowns, but I don't tend to bring the heavily beaded or sequined ones just because they weigh so much more. It's more of a practical packing thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably one reason we don't see as many of those as we use to.

LuLu

Probably one reason we don't see as many of those as we use to.

LuLu

And probably why those of us lucky to be able to sail out of Southampton, still see them. Luggage isn't a problem. I'm taking mine on the forthcoming Christmas trip, but that's with P&O who still have the full formal nights :)

I actually saw many long gowns, many with sequins, on my Oasis cruise last winter. However, I think the proximity to the holidays may have influenced some people's attire.

I was surprised because my previous cruise on Carnival I saw few long gowns. Mostly cocktail dresses.

If you haven't been over to the Cruise Fashions forum, you might check it out. There are usually a couple of recent threads with pics of ladies' dresses. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

• 11 months later...

I was surprised at the number of formally attired people on Grandeur in August. I figured summer would be less likely, but many men in tuxes, and women in long gowns. And even more women in cocktail type dresses.

But as has been said, dress how YOU want to dress.

I only had a blazer with dress shirt and tie. Next cruise, I will bring a suit. MY comfort level. I would wear a tux, if I owned one. I can't see renting one for the cruise.

Women don't wear the very heavily sequined things very often any longer. ;)

Agreed. We were just at a formal evening wedding a few weeks ago (Black Tie for men) and most of the sparkly ladies were in gowns that were (inter)woven with metallic thread rather than sequined/bejeweled.

I only had a blazer with dress shirt and tie. Next cruise, I will bring a suit. MY comfort level. I would wear a tux, if I owned one. I can't see renting one for the cruise.

You can buy a tux for the price of an inexpensive business suit, if you do some shopping. JC Penney, for one, sells them. For less than $200, you can get the full regalia including shoes and tie. You can also buy used tuxes from some formal shops. In fact, I just checked Amazon, and they sell tuxes for around $80. For something you might wear a few times per year, that would probably work out great.

Now, all that said, I DO have a tux, and I like to wear it on the formal nights, but, with me, it's kind of a "joke," in that I think of formal night with the same sort of seriousness as I think of a prom. Once is kind of fun, but it really doesn't mean anything.

And yes, I DO wish the lines would be stricter with their enforcement of the dress code.