1 case Bottled water $84 39 ^%$#&*

l148hammer

Is there anyway around the onboard Royal Caribbean's ( Independence of the Seas )delivered water by the case to your stateroom at the astronomical vigorous of almost $85 per case ?

I just prepaid it with no discount

I am not a thrifty guy and I hardly ever check a price at a great restaurant. I also booked the Chefs table at $170 for two.

Is that worth it ?

Internet for two 5 days $119 for two devices Pre-paid for that as well.

Any advice on that ?

Now that I've got it out of my system

I will never look at my onboard statement or wait on line to get shut out of something special I might want to Enjoy.

Merry Christmas & Happy Chanukah to All

Easy

The ship's own water is incredibly pure. Bring a reusable bottle and refill it when you need water.

Totally agree.

For all the RCI info you will ever need, check the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to RCI, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Only you can make the decision if something is "worth it".

Agree with the previous posters - drink the ship's water! All the ice is made with it, plus cooking, etc.

You are not supposed to carry on cases of water, but many people report being able to do so without any problems.

More comments on the RC board would probably help you.

...Internet for two 5 days $119 for two devices Pre-paid for that as well. Any advice on that ?

$119 for the internet access may be worth it to you, but we have found that we are able to share one internet access package between the two of us with no conflict. (That is on Celebrity but I seem to recall the same situation when we were last on Royal 2 years ago.) So anyway, keep track of your usage patterns and maybe you will find that next time you will be able to get by with one package for the two of you if the cruise line's policies allow that.

As for the bottled water, I buy one bottle on every trip. I then pour out the water, refill the bottle as needed from the ship's faucets.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Is there anyway around the onboard Royal Caribbean's ( Independence of the Seas )delivered water by the case to your stateroom at the astronomical vigorous of almost $85 per case ?...

Even though it's against their rules, they usually allow you to bring your own water onboard.

Is there anyway around the onboard Royal Caribbean's ( Independence of the Seas )delivered water by the case to your stateroom at the astronomical vigorous of almost $85 per case ?

I am not a thrifty guy and I hardly ever check a price at a great restaurant. I also booked the Chefs table at $170 for two.

Is that worth it ?

Any advice on that ?

I will never look at my onboard statement or wait on line to get shut out of something special I might want to Enjoy.

Yes there is!

Here are two easy methods of avoiding sticker shock for bottled water pricing.

Take an empty glass to a water dispenser and fill it with water.

Ask your waiter to fill your water glass.

Wait, wait, wait... $85? For one case of water? 8. 5. Dollars. Eighty five dollars? 5 + 80 dollars. Hold on. Is this a cruise to the moon and this is bottled space water? Does the $85 space water keep you hydrated for a month? Does it dance? Is there weed in it? When we say "bottled water" do we really mean bottled gin? Does the water come with a hooker? Do you mean 17 cases of water? Does a cute doggie deliver the water and then sing you a song? Do the water bottles open themselves up and then fly to your mouth when you want a drink? Do you temporarily get super powers when drinking this water? Does the water cure cancer?

Over the course of my life, I've come to terms with the cost of popcorn at movie theaters... However, my brain cannot even begin to comprehend that a case of regular everyday water is $85. I might be able to accept $18 and begrudgingly pay it, like I do when I buy popcorn at the movies.

I'm sailing Carnival in January. I paid 3.99 for a case of water to be delivered to my room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is that worth it ?

Any advice on that ?

And so, THAT nickel/diming is but one of the reasons why folks who care about their true cruise cost should compare "net daily rate" rather than cabin price.

We used to sail on lines including Royal Caribbean and NCL until our travel preferences and quality expectations matured AND we started doing the real math.

For a bottom line cost "in the neighborhood" of the better mass market lines (particularly the "premium wannabes" like Celebrity), cruisers who need/want a full range of amenities and other options (e.g., air fare or air credit, internet, beverages, specialty restaurants, and select other perks including OBC/excursions/alcohol) at NO ADDITIONAL COSTS would be wise to look at the premium cruise line segment (e.g., Azamara and Oceania).

The quantitative value you will find in the "premium" segment also translates to a far better qualitative experience with smaller populations of passenger (e.g., c. 700 or 1100), impeccable service and an absence of BS like photographers, art shows, incessant upsell announcements, etc.

Of course, those cruisers who only drink the tap water (which I agree is better than what most folks have at home), don't do specialty restaurants, excursions, internet, alcohol, onboard expenditures etc., have a tribe of kids in tow or prefer an amusement park/Vegas atmosphere may want to stick with the mass market offerings.

Bottom line for the BUDGET MINDED: at a minimum, always compare "net daily rate" of all planned/anticipated expenditures door-to-door rather than just cabin cost. Once that's done, compare the value of the qualitative differences between cruise lines.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We have only cruised once and that was with Carnival. We also had the $3.99 case of water delivered and it was very convenient. We are sailing with Norwegian this spring and I almost fell over when I saw the price of water. We will be bringing a reusable water bottle for each of us this time and drinking ship water!!

Nothing wrong with the ship's water. Your food is made with it, and your ice...and beverages!

Bring a refillable bottle, if you must have water with you at all times!. You can get ice water ANYWHERE on the ship...all eating venues and bars will provide it whenever you ask!

Perhaps you ordered Royal's bottled water package of 1 liter bottles of Evian - what some would consider "designer label" water. :D They offer a case of 12 and a case of 24. A 12-pack is about $31 at Walmart, a place people shop at for lower prices. Considering you are ordering it from the ship, the price you quoted is not too surprising if you ordered a case of 24. EVERYTHING is marked up on cruise ships, just like they are at resorts, hotels and in restaurants.

Edited by sloopsailor

Either drink the ship's water, which is perfectly fine, or switch to Princess where you can have a 12 pack of bottled water delivered to your room for $5.60. Not designer label, but those are a rip-off anyway.

Why on earth would anyone buy bottled water on a cruise ship?

Or just about anywhere else in the western world for that matter.

Last time we were disembarking at a port stop the crew was selling water just as we left. When they told us the price we started laughing. Yet....lots of people seemed to be willing to pay four and five times what they would be paying not 200 feet off the ship. Go figure.

Edited by iancal

Is that worth it ?

Any advice on that ?

To avoid the water charge, bring a bottle and refill it. The water on the ship is usually better and more pure than what you get in the bottles.

IMO Chef's tables are always well worth the cost.

On the Internet, unfortunately that is the costs, the only way to save some is to only book one package. Also keep an eye out in the daily news on the ship for Internet specials.

Safe travels!

I bought a case of water just before boarding. I put it in a beach bag and stuck one of my ship tags on it. It was delivered to my cabin along with the other luggage. Though, as stated, technically not allowed on Royal, but I have not heard of them confiscating it. I figured even if they did, I wasn't out much compared to the prices on board.

When we were in London, UK a few years ago there was a study on water quality.

Tap water directly from the tap easily won over the bottled water brand...a Coca Cola subsidiary. I suspect the same result would be found between cruise ship water and bottled water.

Edited by iancal

FWIW that $84. is for ltr bottles, not the usual 500ml . It's a 12 pack of Evian 3 liter bottles.

Not everyone can drink the ship's water. If it doesn't cause you any problems, fine, but if your feet and legs seem to swell, that may be the culprit.

The ship's water is seawater desalinated, that does not get all the salt out of the water.

Everyone has priorities, for me the priority is the get the Evian water so I don't have the swelling. For others it's a bucket of beer.

Edited by SPacificbound

Anyone who buys bottled water on a ship is a total sucker. Anyone who buys bottled water on land is a total sucker. In most cases you can buy a 6 pack of beer (lousy beer but beer) at a cheaper price than water.

DON

Actually that is not true. Princess, not the line the OP is sailing has a very convenient and reasonable 12 bottle package for $6.00. It becomes 6.90 with the tip. It is delivered to your room on embarkation,as it must be preordered. If you have a good steward he will generally put 2-3 bottles in your fridge before you arrive. Then you just replace that each time you remove one. I still drink ships water when on board but this is a simple and inexpensive source of water to take to port. It actually beats the price in port on most days. Too bad other lines cannot follow. The prices from the OP are absurd

Actually that is not true. Princess, not the line the OP is sailing has a very convenient and reasonable 12 bottle package for $6.00. It becomes 6.90 with the tip. It is delivered to your room on embarkation,as it must be preordered. If you have a good steward he will generally put 2-3 bottles in your fridge before you arrive. Then you just replace that each time you remove one. I still drink ships water when on board but this is a simple and inexpensive source of water to take to port. It actually beats the price in port on most days. Too bad other lines cannot follow. The prices from the OP are absurd

If you do drink ship water when on board, why don't you bring a water bottle with you and fill it when you go into port. I just can't figure out why people do not do that.

DON