Large Price Drop in the Med and Beyond

Spree75

vistaman - yes, of course you are right, that first timers on Seabourn are likely to get a reasonably good upgrade to bring them back. Sadly, it makes commercial sense! I had already worked that one out.

Some friends of ours are going on Seabourn for the first time fairly soon, in a guarantee suite, and I will be very interested to see if they get an upgrade.

It also happened to us on another line. Did not work, however, as we did not care for the line.

It has certainly never happened to us! I had high hopes after reading this forum, but as yet, have never had a complimentary upgrade on any line. Come to think of it, I never win on lotteries either, so par for the course.

Lincslady, when I was on ( 26 sea days within the last year) SB did have cold meats and cheeses, and good cold salmon for breakfast in the Colonnade, and on the room service menu on my cruises, it's just that the meat choices on Quest were limited and sad ( ham so lean and flavorless it was like out of a survival food can, or an ok salami) and cheeses were limited, like from Safeway. White rolls were rubbery instead of crisp. Rye bread is apparently available if you ask for it and do not mind a small delay but I did not find that out until the end, now I know and will be ready!

Fortunately neither of us is a big breakfast eater, ( I am fine till lunch as long as I have some yoghurt, and good cold sausages and nice breads were just a special treat on HL). DH is easily pleased with traditional American fare on all ships as long as service is ok ( and, most important, he has something interesting to photograph in port). It is primarily some of the dinners on the Quest, and overall dining and beverage service for us non-VIPs, that could be a bit better. I am talking about making something that is very good overall even better.

I obviously remain an optimist, or I would have cancelled the upcoming "epicurean" cruise after the Norway experience. I hope food and service will be 5/5 again, like I found the Odyssey last year, where eggs benedict were very nice and cold sausages were a little more interesting. We will be cruising first in the western Med and then near France, after all, so there should be no excuses, so I have been working on losing weight to prepare for indulgences :)

catlover - apologies for not having noticed any cold cuts or cheese at breakfast; I only tend to look at what I might be interested in! And if SB do do them, they should certainly be good quality. They do provide smoked salmon, cream cheese and bagels, of course, as I have noted, enjoying a bagel with cheese and jam myself (I know, a bit of a heathen).

marama - when I mention upgrades, I am just referring to people on a guarantee balcony booking who are given, say a V5 or 6 when they could just have been allocated a V1. I think this is what vistaman was talking about.

I've benefited greatly from Seabourn's seemingly random upgrade strategy but it does make sense. If you get a nice upgrade you are more likely inclined to the line. Also, those that are new to the line may not recognize all the benefits that accompany the upgrade.

I know when my partner and I first sailed with Seabourn we had booked 746 after reading reviews about the location and recommendation from our TA. 2 weeks prior to sailing our TA came back from Seabourn with a free upgrade to the Wintergarden Suite. Having a bubble bath facing the ocean on top of the usual service on the ship definitely predisposed us to come back as a repeat customer. I also know that since this was our first time on the line, we had no idea what we could have done with the suite. After a couple of cruises under our belt we would have hosted a few cocktail parties and overall better used the space (movie night, game night, dinner party, etc). Instead it was probably a very quiet week for the stewardess since there really wasn't much to tidy up...

Thank you for posting this.

We saved over $9K for the 2 of us on Encore - quite a savings!

Thanks again.

Did a random check on the prices for our April 1 sailing on the Encore. It looks like the price for our stateroom has dropped $5500 p/p. Hopefully this is not an April fools day joke. Still waiting for a call back from our TA.

Received written confirmation from our TA that our final payment due in December has dropped by $11,000. A very nice Christmas present!

Wow. That is an amazing present! My TA confirmed the second price drop and we've now saved a total of $5,000. The TA is a bit confused on what is causing this because she is seeing strong sales for Med cruises next year. Who am I to complain though...

I was browsing the Seabourn site today and noticed that all of the Med cruises dropped in price dramatically. It seems some of the others areas may have too but I haven't been paying attention to the prices closely so I'm not really sure.

There's a 14 day Monte Carlo to Athens cruise for $4000 for an OB. At that price you almost can't afford not to sail...

I got an email about this one myself today...... If only ........ 4 cruises within 11 months is just being greedy! (Not to mention expensive and a problem to get the time from work!) lol

The price quoted from the TA was £2799 and included a free upgrade to veranda, return BA flights and return transfers. For a 14 day cruise thats a steal!

Edited by les37b