Drinking / Gambling for 19-yr olds?

brockwell

You are mistaken, but since you said it with such authority maybe nobody will notice. The national law was passed in 1984. I know in the late 70's is was still 18 in most of the south at least. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

There is no national drinking age law.

There IS a law that tells the 50 states that they won't get federal highway money if their drinking age isn't 21.

So......extortion.

Edited by luddite

There is no national drinking age law.

There IS a law that tells the 50 states that they won't get federal highway money if their drinking age isn't 21.

So......extortion.

Exactly, that's how congress got around that pesky Supreme Court and that silly document those founders thought was so important ;-)

Exactly, that's how congress got around that pesky Supreme Court and that silly document those founders thought was so important ;-)

Mostly, congress ( no caps, they are not worthy ) was and is a bunch of spineless dolts who didn't ask MADD to prove their statistics.

You are mistaken, but since you said it with such authority maybe nobody will notice. The national law was passed in 1984. I know in the late 70's is was still 18 in most of the south at least. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

I'm old enough to have lived through the controversy and controversial it was. Missouri and Arkansas where I grew up never changed from 21, but Tennessee was 18 in 1964, 19 in 1979 and 21 in 1984.

Regardless, Nancy Reagan had nothing to do with changing laws.

And you are mistaken that it was 18 in most of the south...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

I was hoping to get the info I was looking for (which I did) and not get a lecture about allowing my 19 yr old to have a few beers on vacation with his parents.

Thank you to those who helped me with the info I was looking for. When I'm looking for parenting advice I will go to a parenting site, not cruise critic.

Well said!:)

Nancy Reagan was First Lady in 1973? Uh, I don't think so.

That's when almost all states raised their drinking age back to 21.

And you are mistaken that it was 18 in most of the south...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

Am I? Per your own link to wikipedia, in 1975, two years after you earlier said it was raised, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee were 18, NC and SC were 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor. Alabama was not. Seems pretty much like most of the south to me.

Am I? Per your own link to wikipedia, in 1975, two years after you earlier said it was raised, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee were 18, NC and SC were 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor. Alabama was not. Seems pretty much like most of the south to me.

In '75, Mississippi was 18 for beer and 21 for wine/liquor. And Texas isn't a southern state- it is Texas, like a whole 'nother country.