Anyone Miss the Formal Nights?

cruiser4801

We like NCL as we both have to wear business attire daily. I have also done a couple of shorter Royal Caribbean with extended family. On formal nights the entire boat seemed to be wearing black tie, I only saw one lounge suit. All the ladies had evening dresses.

Some times NCL can be a bit too relaxed on our last cruise there were people wearing baseball caps and no sleeved basketball shirts in the specialty restaurants.

NCL started the Free style, and I remember there was a torrent of threads on CC at the time.

I mean, it was thread after thread about it here.

Absolute chaos.

People didn't want change. They loved the scheduled dining and same tablemates.

We didn't, as we had to drag more luggage on cruise, and decided to try NCL when they announced Freestyle.

Loved having not to be back on the ship from an excursion early, to make dinner time.

NCL was the first to offer different dining areas, and expanded to more of them.

The other lines followed NCL.

Del Rio might kill off what people love about the line, with his Ala carte and water decision.

They had to back off taking food to the cabins, and dishes in the walkways.

So NO, don't miss it at all....It's OUR paid vacation not NCLs.

I realise I'm in the minority but I do miss formal nights. We don't get a chance at home to go to formal events so it was the only chance to get out the tux and a nice formal dress. I go with celebrity if I really want now to have this but in answer to the op's question I do miss them.

I realise I'm in the minority but I do miss formal nights. We don't get a chance at home to go to formal events so it was the only chance to get out the tux and a nice formal dress. I go with celebrity if I really want now to have this but in answer to the op's question I do miss them.

I used to enjoy formal nights when I was younger and didn't have to dress up for work regularly. Checked luggage also used to be free and fancy clothes/shoes take up a fair bit of space when I have to pay $35 to check a bag each way and they will only get worn for a few hours.

I did not expect to see a thread on this topic in the NCL section.

However, you can count me among the minority that enjoys a dress-up night or two, as well as enjoying the ever-fading "cruise experience."

Is having not having a formal night a deal breaker for me? Obviously not, I am cruising NCL next year.

Yeah....the days of free checked baggage, and having unlimited space to haul whatever you wanted on a cruise, are long gone. Glad they are.

NCL was the trend setter with FreeStyle. Everyone else has followed suit. I think some still like the idea of having everyone dress up. But, that's becoming less and less every year.

I just heard Cunnard is cutting back on the tux/gown thing, too.

Vacation is just that...a vacation from being formal, of dressing up, of having to bend a vacation schedule for meals (which sort of defeating the purpose of a vacation). It's also a time to unwind, not worry about dress codes or dinner schedules.

I welcome it with open arms!

• 1 month later...
I don't, that's why I like NCL.

My Next trip is on QM2 and I have to take an extra case with tuxedo etc as otherwise I cannot go to all bars and restaurants in the evening.

A real pain in the ...

Why would you knowingly choose a cruiseline that enforces a rather strict dress code?? Most of us prefer this line as we DO like the thought of dressing up. I know by now you did the cruise & disliked it. You tried to claim pax were "uncomfortable" dressed in formal style..Baloney! You just did not like to follow the cruise line's dress code.. You claim to like the casual style of NCL(and others like it) I suggest you stick to those lines & let us who like dressing up stick to Cunard!

I still remember the days many years ago that NCL, like other lines, had formal nights. Thank goodness, they are a distant memory.

One of the last mainstream holdouts still clinging to those outdated formal nights is Holland America. While we truly like HAL, our family hates the formal nights. They are much to do about nothing. I have no idea why they insist on maintaining such an outdated policy. My solution is to not follow it and let them loan me a jacket. We have actually chosen NCL several times over HAL because of their formal nights.

Does anyone miss having to pack suits and ties to go on vacation?

Was on Holland a year ago and they really don't have formal nights any longer. I wore slacks and a dress shirt and fit right in. Maybe 10% of the people wore formalwear and another 60% had some type of jacket. But only on cruise lines is a sport coat considered formal.

Why would you knowingly choose a cruiseline that enforces a rather strict dress code?? Most of us prefer this line as we DO like the thought of dressing up. I know by now you did the cruise & disliked it. You tried to claim pax were "uncomfortable" dressed in formal style..Baloney! You just did not like to follow the cruise line's dress code.. You claim to like the casual style of NCL(and others like it) I suggest you stick to those lines & let us who like dressing up stick to Cunard!

Thanks for resurrecting a month and a half old thread to yell at someone for expressing an opinion. Are we allowed to still express opinions in a civil manner here or has that died and things are only one way or the other? Your talking down to people and putting words in their mouths is very much out of line.

Cunard will no doubt maintain their dress code, that's fine, but the rest of the lines will follow the money. Which means the cheapening of formal nights as the MDR becomes the least attractive dining option, not the most attractive dining option. They want you in specialty dining, and many have made peace with the fact that the majority of those willing to spend more also don't want the costume party to go along with it. Dress up, or not, your choice. Whatever you choose to do, if you are happy, that is best.

I don't, that's why I like NCL.

My Next trip is on QM2 and I have to take an extra case with tuxedo etc as otherwise I cannot go to all bars and restaurants in the evening.

A real pain in the ...

I must say I'm not a fan of NCL but there are a couple of things I really like about them. One is the studio cabin concept. I was also very pleased with the "dress up or not" concept. I wore just short of a tux (used a black Travelsmith blazer and matching slacks) that could easily have been mistaken for a tux and got some very nice comments. I like to get dressed up occasionally but it isn't other passengers responsibility to look good for me.

Number34 did not say anything to indicate they wouldn't comply with Cunard's dress code. People cruise for all kinds of reasons, and for many of us itinerary plays a big role. "Cruise with somebody else" is to me a pretty lame line of reasoning.

Long live the "dress up or not" night.

Roy

For years and years I have played second fiddle - the wife of the arm of the man wearing full Highland kilt regalia - no one cares what I wear :eek: (IN fact I have thought over the years about renting him out to the ships photographers would make a killing!).

At last - the kilt stays at home - comes out for New Year or for Gala Awards Dinners here at home -

Never again on a cruise ship!

Even on our recent Celebrity cruise to Alaska - no formals - On their "Evening Chic" night I wore skinny jeans, glitzy top and killer heels - felt a million dollars, danced the night away whilst hubby squeezed into a 3 piece suit and tie (that for him was dressing way down after the no kilt decision).

This cruise - we dress up pretty much every night - stylish, chic - lots of glam BUT NO formals - thank God for that!!!

And no more underwear that stops the blood circulating - (women know what I mean!) - all that "sleek line stuff"? Yeah - underneath lies a layer of lycra that aint pretty!!! Oh no - formals are history! Ebay sale!!!

For years and years I have played second fiddle - the wife of the arm of the man wearing full Highland kilt regalia - no one cares what I wear :eek: (IN fact I have thought over the years about renting him out to the ships photographers would make a killing!).

At last - the kilt stays at home - comes out for New Year or for Gala Awards Dinners here at home -

Never again on a cruise ship!

Even on our recent Celebrity cruise to Alaska - no formals - On their "Evening Chic" night I wore skinny jeans, glitzy top and killer heels - felt a million dollars, danced the night away whilst hubby squeezed into a 3 piece suit and tie (that for him was dressing way down after the no kilt decision).

This cruise - we dress up pretty much every night - stylish, chic - lots of glam BUT NO formals - thank God for that!!!

And no more underwear that stops the blood circulating - (women know what I mean!) - all that "sleek line stuff"? Yeah - underneath lies a layer of lycra that aint pretty!!! Oh no - formals are history! Ebay sale!!

I agree ...I hated formal nights! I loved your response too. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Formal nights are a partial remnant of a time gone by. They used to be a big event, going to the main dining with the best food, and the best clothes. Now, it's like going to a outback steakhouse in a suit. Who does that? I think they should have formal night in the best specialty restaurant on each ship. It could probably accommodate everyone who's really interested, and at least the food would go with the dress. People who still say it's an event, should be willing to pay to have food appropriate for a special evening. If not, then it's just a joke anyway.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy the occasional dress-up night, although we seldom go ultra-formal. We will be on the Christmas cruise on the Getaway and expect that at least on Christmas Eve many cruisers will opt to dress up. Hubby will take a suit and I will take a long dress (red but not covered with bling). It's been awhile since we have cruised on NCL so hope it has not gone completely grunge. We usually cruise with Princess so expect that NCL will be more casual. We plan to have a GREAT time regardless of what other people are wearing!

Our upcoming trip will see both ends of the spectrum. Out and back to Southampton on the QM2 and a week on the Breakaway!! Some might call it from the sublime to the ridiculous :D

Do DH and I enjoy the dressing up bit - yes (although I must quietly admit that there have been times when I have thought not). DH looks rather good in a dinner suit (tuxedo) and the change of ambience in an evening on the Queen is something special. Only moan I am now getting from himself is the fact that he will have to wear a tie, something he hasn't done for quite a while.

Having said the above, I am actually looking forward to not having to 'dress up' whilst we are on the Breakaway. DH, however, has said he would be sorry if he didn't wear his dinner suit on New Years Eve so I will have a quick look around the ship and so long as he isn't the only one I suspect he will 'dress up'