Nickeled & Dimed

bigguy1

You just proved my point. The Anthem is on the high side, and still only $55.00 compared to NCL's $79.00.

This whole thing is hilarious, last i looked NCL Does not forcibly separate you from you money and make you choose the beverage package. If you feel the price is too high or it is not worth it, don't get it. If you are angry at NCL for charging so much don't sail on NCL.

This is what is so awesome about freedom

This whole thing is hilarious, last i looked NCL Does not forcibly separate you from you money and make you choose the beverage package. If you feel the price is too high or it is not worth it, don't get it. If you are angry at NCL for charging so much don't sail on NCL.

This is what is so awesome about freedom

Very well said.

We will be taking our first cruise on NCL shortly and have cruised numerous times on Princess and Celebrity. We have recently been told that NCL has taken nickel & diming to a new level; not allowed to bring water on board and worse than that, not allowing water purchased on board to be brought back on board. Cutting back on the quality of food and charging for decent food items in the complimentary dining rooms.

Can anyone comment on this and compare the overall experience on NCL to Princess and X.

The only comment I can offer is you should have investigated the cruise line you contemplated before you booked.

You would then have learned about all those who feel they are being niggled with fees they think shouldn't enter into a profit-driven enterprise.

A well-informed consumer is a much more satisfied one.

I don't worry about nickel-and-diming because I don't want most of the stuff they are selling anyway. I would like to bring a few bottles of water on board, just so I can refill them as needed in my cabin. ....

You can bring EMPTY water bottles aboard for refilling.

I enjoyed my last 3 cruises with NCL but since JDR was put in charge (and I hope some of this changes with Andy Stuart) several things that are important to me changed.

- It doesn't seem as if there are good last minute deals/upgrades anymore. To get a good solo price other than a studio you would have to do a guarantee that has no promos.

- I had to cancel my trip for this December that did have a decent price and even 2 promos for a studio- however since then the retail prices of promos have increased as to generate more revenue from the 18% service charge.

- I'll use 3rd party insurance but just noticed for a hold I put on that the NCL Insurance just jumped another $20. Wow. They really must be needy.

SDP prices steadily increase and offer more terms and conditions. It is as if they need to hire people to write these and perhaps that increases the cost.

-When I booked trip with UBP promo- at some point bait and switch started with items such as Dark and Stormy's now being a premium $17.95 drink. Wow! For $17.95 I could make one for everyone reading this thread!!

I enjoyed my last 3 cruises with NCL but since JDR was put in charge (and I hope some of this changes with Andy Stuart) several things that are important to me changed.

- It doesn't seem as if there are good last minute deals/upgrades anymore. To get a good solo price other than a studio you would have to do a guarantee that has no promos.

- I had to cancel my trip for this December that did have a decent price and even 2 promos for a studio- however since then the retail prices of promos have increased as to generate more revenue from the 18% service charge.

- I'll use 3rd party insurance but just noticed for a hold I put on that the NCL Insurance just jumped another $20. Wow. They really must be needy.

SDP prices steadily increase and offer more terms and conditions. It is as if they need to hire people to write these and perhaps that increases the cost.

-When I booked trip with UBP promo- at some point bait and switch started with items such as Dark and Stormy's now being a premium $17.95 drink. Wow! For $17.95 I could make one for everyone reading this thread!!

Really? Because this post has over 2000 views. If you can make us all a drink for $17.95, I am guessing you can also turn water into wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have 2 cruises booked on NCL. One in 2017 and another in 2018, and have no problem with the prices. The only problem I have is with the Beverage package,which, per day, is valued much higher than any other line, plus they add the 18%. No other line does that. The packages range from $42.00 to 65.00 per day, and that includes the 18%. For my Alaska cruise,I just took the dining pkg, and grats. For my Carib, cruise, I took the Beverage and grat pkg. For that cruise, I'm also looking at Celebrity and the Anthem on Royal since I have another year and change to worry about it.I'm hoping against hope that they change their policy on this, or maybe have a price reduction before final payment. Sorry for rambling on.

This is a perfect example of why NCL gets the nickle and dime reputation. Whether you love their product or hate it, that nickle and dime reputation is never going away as long as they continue what you have posted.

I cannot help, having only cruised on NCL, but I find it slightly amusing that you haven't even sailed yet and are already complaining about being "nickled & dimed". If you are that concerned about policies that you KNOW are in effect before you sail, perhaps you should stick with the lines that you are happy with.

AMEN Sister!!!! so tired of these kinds of posts...all they do is get people fired up..yes i occasionally like to "stir" the proverbial pot but these kinds of posts have to stop.

lets push for a random act of kindness page where we can all "feel good" about even having the "option" of cruising..

My Father always said: you choose where and with whom to spend your trust fund...but just remember, if you choose to spend your trust fund on a pretty woman both she and your bank account will eventually run out!!

Best,

Mark

We will be taking our first cruise on NCL shortly and have cruised numerous times on Princess and Celebrity. We have recently been told that NCL has taken nickel & diming to a new level; not allowed to bring water on board and worse than that, not allowing water purchased on board to be brought back on board. Cutting back on the quality of food and charging for decent food items in the complimentary dining rooms.

Can anyone comment on this and compare the overall experience on NCL to Princess and X.

Water: they are not the first line to not allow water to be brought on. check and you will learn other lines started this before NCL> There is nothing wrong with the ships water. we always bring a couple of empty bottles on board and fill them using ships water.

Actually, though we haven't been on NCL for about a year, are sailing in a couple of weeks, reports are, from many the food has improved Extra charge for decent food in the MDRs, give me a break. You need to stop believing all you read and if this is bothering you should you not have checked before making final payment?

I don't worry about nickel-and-diming because I don't want most of the stuff they are selling anyway. I would like to bring a few bottles of water on board, just so I can refill them as needed in my cabin or elsewhere.

BTW, Princess (and to a lesser extent Celebrity) is not always more expensive. We are sailing on the Getaway Dec. 4 followed by the Regal Princess Dec. 11. The Princess cruise is about $150 cheaper; both for a guarantee balcony cabin. Norwegian is giving us $85 OBC; still higher than Princess, but not much.

when you compare pricing you need to compare class of ships: Isn't Regal Princess an older ship than Breakaway?

To anyone concerned with the water on the boat, I've suggested this to a few friends of mine:

Try getting a Sawyer Mini or Squeeze water filter. It's very small and light, I use one for backpacking all the time.

And no, I don't get paid to send you to their site. Their products simply work and are very small and light.

https://sawyer.com/products/

NCL is an entirely different company today than it was under Kevin Sheehan.

Agree. I love the new specialty dining options, newer larger ships, increased worldwide destinations, and upgraded entertainment. Generally more choices.

Agree. I love the new specialty dining options, newer larger ships, increased worldwide destinations, and upgraded entertainment. Generally more choices.

What new specialty dining options? They're the same except now they cost more. The Breakaway plus is hardly bigger than the Breakaway class under Shehan and would have happened regardless. There are actually LESS choices now then there were back then.