The restaurants on Encore

Kevnzworld

I just received my cruise packet for the Encore inaugural sailing, Athens to Singapore.

It still lists Restaurant 2 as being active. It also lists a sushi restaurant ( a different restaurant ? ) and The Grill, the new TK restaurant.

I thought that the Restaurant 2 tapas , small plate tasting menu concept was defunct, apparently not so.

Unfortunately no new bars or lounges...

Does your cruise information contain anything about the special events taking place for the maiden voyage? We sailed on the Quest maiden voyage and it was spectacular! Unfortunately we do not join until Singapore so all the pomp and ceremony of the new ship would have passed by the third sailing I suspect!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does your cruise information contain anything about the special events taking place for the maiden voyage? We sailed on the Quest maiden voyage and it was spectacular! Unfortunately we do not join until Singapore so all the pomp and ceremony of the new ship would have passed by the third sailing I suspect!

Hi jimmy,

No pomp and ceremony until the ship is in Singapore as the Singapore to Bali is promoted as the "Inaugural Sailing". The cruises before are pre-maiden sailing. Markham and I will be on the pre maiden to make sure everything is okay before the Inaugural when you get on :).

Seabourn Australia told me they have quite a spectacle planned. Having never sailed on an inaugural my husband and I are curious to see what they do.

Julie

Thanks Julie.

Yes Seabourn do really know how to launch a ship. The Quest Barcelona was spectacular. Apart from the actual evening in port with fireworks orchestra on board etc, a couple of days later all the guests in Monaco were taken to Salle des Etoiles for dessert, concert, Monaco ballet and then the roof of the auditorium opened at the end whilst music was playing to reveal the sky, stars and Monaco skyline......truely amazing!

But, I am sure the "pre maiden" guests will be expecting a "show" as it were. As Kevnzworld refers to it as Inaugural, so I guess that's the basis the cruise was sold to them on and he has his cruise documents now saying that too.

When we boarded the Quest in Barcelona it had done a couple of short cruises before and the crew told us that guest were expressing their displeasure. So I am sure they are under pressure to do something big as it leaves Athens.

Looking forward it whatever happens. Any cruise on Seabourn is great anyway...... only 4 weeks until we are on the Quest so that should help pass time.

Jimmyw9

Edited by jimmyw9

Looking at the ship plan of the Encore, in the printed material, there is certainly a sushi restaurant, patio grill, 'new special restaurant' which I assume is the TK grill and the main dining room. In fact, the brochure on the dining choices page says that restaurant 2 is only available on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest. Maybe they will call the Colonnade restaurant 2 in the evenings? Or maybe it is just a mistake - does happen!

I hope Seabourn do not emulate other lines (notably Regent recently with Explorer) and have lots of maidens, christening cruises, inaugurals etc., so that nobody knows which they are on; and some people feel they have paid over the odds for something which is not up to scratch, etc. And have journalists on board before problems have been ironed out.

We were on a very early Sojourn cruise, and therefore followed online the christening by Twiggy at Greenwich. It was very British and laid back, but I thought quite charming. This after what appeared to be a rather shambolic christening on Odyssey, from Athens, when the ship was not ready.

Well, I think it is too late for that. Looks as if they are following suit! I guess it means they max out the $$$$ on the cruises in the early days. At least everyone then from Athens can say they were on the Inaugural sailing! It will be interesting to see what Kevnzworld has to say about how his cruise has been pitched to him and what is disclosed in his cruise documents.

Oh good. You will join in Singapore. We join in Dubai, as frantic36 says, and stay through Sydney. We simply must get together for a drink. And you can tell me all about whatever you have been doing for the past 2 years.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Looking at the ship plan of the Encore, in the printed material, there is certainly a sushi restaurant, patio grill, 'new special restaurant' which I assume is the TK grill and the main dining room. In fact, the brochure on the dining choices page says that restaurant 2 is only available on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest. Maybe they will call the Colonnade restaurant 2 in the evenings? Or maybe it is just a mistake - does happen!

I didn't notice the asterisk. My bad. Yes, restaurant 2 is now The Grill on Encore.

The sushi restaurant is new, and open for lunch.

The Athens to Singapore sailing isn't the official inaugural cruise, but it is the maiden voyage...and for us a better itinerary.

I didn't notice the asterisk. My bad. Yes, restaurant 2 is now The Grill on Encore.

The sushi restaurant is new, and open for lunch.

The Athens to Singapore sailing isn't the official inaugural cruise, but it is the maiden voyage...and for us a better itinerary.

I agree that itinerary is good, but we have done that twice.

I wonder how Seabourn will distinguish between the events of the Maiden Voyage and those of the Inaugural Voyage. As other posters have noted it seems the norm now for cruise lines to stretch these celebrations/introductions of new ships to their fleet......who wouldn't to leverage a few more $$$ in its opening season.

The maiden voyage guests get their name on a plaque in Seabourn Square, so there must be some kind of celebration as the ship departs Athens. I suppose then the party really gets going when the ship gets down route to Singapore as frantic36 and markham state.

Enjoy your cruise.

jimmyw9

The only leg marketed as the Inaugural voyage is Singapore to Bali. This is when the celebrations etc occur - and it's reflected n the pricing. The Maiden is ex Athens ie it's the first cruise with paying passengers. Again, the pricing and take up reflects what it is - a shakedown when they have the chance to get everything right before the official Inaugural. The names on the board near the Square are those who are on the Inaugural cruise ie ex Singapore. Those who are booked ex Singapore have been offered hotel and associated packages to compliment the occasion.

The only leg marketed as the Inaugural voyage is Singapore to Bali. This is when the celebrations etc occur - and it's reflected n the pricing. The Maiden is ex Athens ie it's the first cruise with paying passengers. Again, the pricing and take up reflects what it is - a shakedown when they have the chance to get everything right before the official Inaugural. The names on the board near the Square are those who are on the Inaugural cruise ie ex Singapore. Those who are booked ex Singapore have been offered hotel and associated packages to compliment the occasion.

I don't care about plaques etc. I don't care if it's the " official " inaugural cruise, the maiden voyage cruise or just the first cruise.

I booked it for the itinerary and to be the first to try out the new ship. I think it will be fun for both passengers and crew. Sure there will be some glitches, and service issues but that's just part of the experience.

Those of us boarding in Athens know which cruise is the Maiden voyage ;)

You may well get your name on a plaque - alternative arrangements have been made in the Able Seaman household :) but you will be the third set of guests sitting on the toilet, sleeping on the bed and standing in your underpants on the balcony. Or is that just me? We will also celebrate the first Christmas & New Year on board.

Don't be expecting much by way of food & drink. By the time we've finished you'll be hunting around for crackers & water from the lifeboats.......

Whether it's the 1st pre inaugural, the 2nd pre inaugural or the inaugural I'm sure we will all have a great time exploring our new surroundings. We have been Promised a Seabourn presentation case containing a screwdriver, a hammer, some gaffer (duct) tape, and a cordless drill. A selection screws, nails, glue and panel clips will be made available in Seabourn Square......

Henry :)

Those of us boarding in Athens know which cruise is the Maiden voyage ;)

You may well get your name on a plaque - alternative arrangements have been made in the Able Seaman household :) but you will be the third set of guests sitting on the toilet, sleeping on the bed and standing in your underpants on the balcony. Or is that just me? We will also celebrate the first Christmas & New Year on board.

Don't be expecting much by way of food & drink. By the time we've finished you'll be hunting around for crackers & water from the lifeboats.......

Whether it's the 1st pre inaugural, the 2nd pre inaugural or the inaugural I'm sure we will all have a great time exploring our new surroundings. We have been Promised a Seabourn presentation case containing a screwdriver, a hammer, some gaffer (duct) tape, and a cordless drill. A selection screws, nails, glue and panel clips will be made available in Seabourn Square......

And you will no doubt have made a wonderful video for all of us to enjoy!

A diy film that will be available to other cruise lines and shown on every maiden voyage in all cabins, so that guests know how to finish off the ship for those that are doing the inaugural and have spent three times more money to watch some fireworks and have their name on a plaque [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just being nosy - I wonder what extra goodies those on the 'proper' inaugural will be getting (apart from the ship having hopefully been finished off by the poor souls who are on between 4th Dec and 7th Jan, of course). And at what extra cost per night?

I remember when a world cruise started with business class flights, a night with gala dinner in Miami, free picking up and delivery of luggage, etc.

If anyone who is doing it, or has looked seriously into booking it, it would be nice to know just what special things it offers. And is there to be a 'christening'?

Just being nosy - I wonder what extra goodies those on the 'proper' inaugural will be getting (apart from the ship having hopefully been finished off by the poor souls who are on between 4th Dec and 7th Jan, of course). And at what extra cost per night?

I remember when a world cruise started with business class flights, a night with gala dinner in Miami, free picking up and delivery of luggage, etc.

If anyone who is doing it, or has looked seriously into booking it, it would be nice to know just what special things it offers. And is there to be a 'christening'?

There is a party January 7 at the dock. Sojourn will be in port too. Though we disembark on the 7th, we and all other passengers on the prior REAL

maiden voyage are invited. We will still be in Singapore and will probably attend.

I would agree that there should be something 'special' for those on the 'proper' inaugural - guess there may be. And a godmother? I have not read anything yet from Seabourn about the happenings.

To get to the vulgar bit; although I guess it does not matter to most on the Singapore cruise, the current cost for a V2 suite based on our UK agents figures is £220 per diem for the 16 days ex Athens, and £517 per diem for the 10 days ex Singapore. It is enough of a difference to expect wonders, IMO.

"...the current cost for a V2 suite based on our UK agents figures is £220 per diem for the 16 days ex Athens, and £517 per diem for the 10 days ex Singapore. It is enough of a difference to expect wonders, IMO."

Most of the difference in your per diem comparison above is not due to the inaugural aspect of the second cruise; rather, it's due to the routing. Europe to SE Asia (and v.v.) routings are re-positioning cruises that are historically priced inexpensively.

"...the current cost for a V2 suite based on our UK agents figures is £220 per diem for the 16 days ex Athens, and £517 per diem for the 10 days ex Singapore. It is enough of a difference to expect wonders, IMO."

Most of the difference in your per diem comparison above is not due to the inaugural aspect of the second cruise; rather, it's due to the routing. Europe to SE Asia (and v.v.) routings are re-positioning cruises that are historically priced inexpensively.

I agree re-postioning cruises are often cheaper compared to other cruises, but lincslady is correct there is a premium attached to the Inaugural cruise on the Encore. You only have to look at the same cruise the ship is making in March 2017 when it heads back to Europe. We know what we paid for the Inaugural and there is a premium....... anyway as linclady says.....lets leave the vulgar bit.

But as kevnzworld has the proof in black and white as he has his cruise documents the "show" as it were isn't happening on the ship but on the dock......... so indeed what was the premium for?

Anyway, the cruise is not the main reason for our holiday as for us our "show" as it were gets going when we reach Bali.

The initial Athens to Dubai is cheap because it's the one before Christmas. Dubai - Singapore encompasses Christmas & New Year so commands a premium. It's always been the same when we've done a festive cruise, the one leading up to it is very keenly priced. Most people want to get prepared for the holiday period.

A shrewd marketing move to make the first cruise in 2017, traditionally another harder to fill sailing the official inaugural cruise.

I heard they are going to get you to officially cut the ribbon & open the dining room Mr L. I do the first greasing of the stern tubes from by bunk on deck 1.

Edited by Able Seaman H

Henry,anything you need while I'm in B&Q getting materials and tools to finish of the ship.

Did you get that Abba outfit as you and Sharon are opening the show in Singapore for those that are expecting a gala evening for the inaugural.

I've got two boxes of fireworks that will make it special.

Sent from my iPad using Forums