Room Service

shyla100

Shyla I hope you have a wonderful Seabourn cruise. The nice thing is no tipping. In fact I have gone to break that habit and give a tip to my stewardess and had it rejected.....in a nice way.:) Though some would be more accepting I am sure.

We do give to the crew welfare fund which is used to help put on crew parties or emergency funds crew may need. This fund helps all the crew and they appreciate it.

+3.

Yes, please do not tip individuals for a particular service. A few passengers do give tips at the end of the cruise, probably to their stewardess or a waiter who has served them frequently, but personally I wish they would not. Rather maybe give something to the crew fund, or, more importantly, write down the names of all those who have been helpful and charming (nearly all of them!) and mention them in your after cruise questionnaire. Staff are likely to get promotion if they get lots of nice mentions.

Yes, I am glad Framtic added about the Crew Welfare fund. It is the perfect vehicle to express another " thank you " in a fair manner. This way even those crew whom you never run into but have worked just as hard to make your cruise enjoyable can share in your contribution. It not only goes to putting on parties and other events for the crew but helps them in emergencies -- say when one needs to fly home at short notice for a personal issue. We usually do it a couple of days before the end of the cruise. Just go to Seabourn Square and the helpful staff there can sort it out. As with anything there are passengers who even use this to try to pervert the true no tipping system in hopes of securing "better" service. I met one gentleman on the first day who told me that he had just made a large contribution to the Crew Fund and expected the "best" table every night in the Restaurant! Sigh!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shyla I hope you have a wonderful Seabourn cruise. The nice thing is no tipping. In fact I have gone to break that habit and give a tip to my stewardess and had it rejected.....in a nice way.:) Though some would be more accepting I am sure.

We do give to the crew welfare fund which is used to help put on crew parties or emergency funds crew may need. This fund helps all the crew and they appreciate it.

Thank you, that is useful information, we were unaware that there was a Crew Fund but will certainly be giving something in future.

+3.

Yes, please do not tip individuals for a particular service. ..............,,,,,,,,,,, more importantly, write down the names of all those who have been helpful and charming (nearly all of them!) and mention them in your after cruise questionnaire. Staff are likely to get promotion if they get lots of nice mentions.

It so hard to remember them all, so now I write their names during the cruise into "Notes" in my IPhone or iPad, then when the Survey arrives (just done mine from the last cruise) I cut and paste into the relevant section.

(I even included the Captain and the Cruise Director, amongst a large number of others.)

I've had staff members thank me on a subsequent cruise for mentioning their name on a survey, so they're aware of who names them.😀👍

The rules changed earlier this year so that the crew can also receive wine/champagne that they can enjoy on board.

They've always been able to accept gifts of liquor/wine with the permission of the hotel director but they were put in lock up and given to them as disembarkation on the last day of their contract. Now they are allowed to be gifted wine/champagne that they can enjoy in their off time.

If you wish to do this (we did with our in-room bottle of champagne on the last sailing for our awesome suite stewardess), just write a note with the gift and give it before the last day of the cruise (this so that the hotel director has the option of checking with you that you did intend to do this). They will go to their supervisor who will request approval to accept the gift.

We were told its always a mini celebration on the lower deck when one of the crew is gifted a bottle of wine or champagne.

Thanks, jeni. That is good to know. We rarely drink the champagne in our room, and would be so pleased to give it to our stewardess a day or two before disembarking (assuming she is as great as they always are!)

Yet another very useful piece of information from the Forum.

The rules changed earlier this year so that the crew can also receive wine/champagne that they can enjoy on board.

They've always been able to accept gifts of liquor/wine with the permission of the hotel director but they were put in lock up and given to them as disembarkation on the last day of their contract. Now they are allowed to be gifted wine/champagne that they can enjoy in their off time.

If you wish to do this (we did with our in-room bottle of champagne on the last sailing for our awesome suite stewardess), just write a note with the gift and give it before the last day of the cruise (this so that the hotel director has the option of checking with you that you did intend to do this). They will go to their supervisor who will request approval to accept the gift.

We were told its always a mini celebration on the lower deck when one of the crew is gifted a bottle of wine or champagne.

This is good to know as we rarely drink the champagne in the room and just leave it behind but if we can gift it to the Stewardess that would be great. What about the other bottles you can order? Can they also be gifted if not used?

This is good to know as we rarely drink the champagne in the room and just leave it behind but if we can gift it to the Stewardess that would be great. What about the other bottles you can order? Can they also be gifted if not used?

Yes. Liquor can't be given to crew until they leave the ship though and since most fly home to their own countries immediately, it creates a duty situation.

Wine/champagne can be consumed onboard within the crew's alcohol rules.