Pearl / Panama Canal / Front of ship movement?

jccave

We are currently booked on the NCL Pearl in March for partial Panama Canal transit from Miami (visiting Aruba, Columbia, Costa Rica, Panama). We are booked in a mini-suite but are looking to upgrade to one of the penthouse suites to enjoy the extra room and balcony space for the long sailing.

The only penthouse suites left available are those in the very front of the ship. Can anyone speak to the ship movement / or any excessive wind on this route in the front of the ship? Would hate to book the room and feel like we're constantly rocking back and forth.

Thanks!

Jeff

The Jewel/Dawn class ships are darn stable ships. I was recently in 35 foot seas on the Star and I was impressed how well she handled. The Stabilizers are remarkably effective minimizing side to side rocking. Of course big seas are always going to be more pronounced at the fore and aft of the ship. The seas I was in would have had half the crew of my Navy Destroyer wishing for their mothers.

As far as the forward suites facing forward, though I have never lived in one, I have visited a few and the wind was significant on the balcony when the ship was doing 20 knots. I'm sure much of the wind effect will also depend on the wind direction and ship direction as well. I personally wouldn't want one just because of that reason.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

We

Love the forward facing penthouse suites on the Jewel and Dawn class ship. Most recently last month on the Dawn. It would be an ideal room for your cruise. Deck 9 rooms have 300sq ft balconies. We try to get a deck 10 center rm 10000 or 10500 because then get a "bay window" under the bridge bump out,,, making the room a lot larger.

If you are thinking about booking a suite directly under the Bridge, be aware that your curtains HAVE to be closed at night and you can not turn your deck light on after dark. The Bridge staff needs totally darkness to see properly at night. During the day, they can also see what is happening on your deck.

Jewel class ships are very stable, so there should not be much side to side motion. If you get into a storm system, you will feel the forward and back pitch of the ship. All that being said, you would have the perfect viewing place for going through the Canal.

They are absolutely perfect for viewing the transit. We had some friends invite us up to their suite balcony to view it. We spent the day there. They ordered lunch. It was a lovely day! Bring your sunscreen and use it though. Even though we were in the shade almost the whole day (because of the direction we sailed), the sun is bright and reflected.

The only time it seemed not to be a good location was on our trip back to Miami the last day at sea. The weather was more rough and we were going at a pretty good clip because of a medical issue on board. Anyway, the forward part of the ship got more wind than before. Otherwise, I think they loved the location.

They are absolutely perfect for viewing the transit. We had some friends invite us up to their suite balcony to view it. We spent the day there. They ordered lunch. It was a lovely day! Bring your sunscreen and use it though. Even though we were in the shade almost the whole day (because of the direction we sailed), the sun is bright and reflected.

The only time it seemed not to be a good location was on our trip back to Miami the last day at sea. The weather was more rough and we were going at a pretty good clip because of a medical issue on board. Anyway, the forward part of the ship got more wind than before. Otherwise, I think they loved the location.

All great information!! Thank you!! Now also trying to determine if it is worth the steep price increase to book it :cool::cool:

All great information!! Thank you!! Now also trying to determine if it is worth the steep price increase to book it :cool::cool:

They did a last minute upgrade at a reduced rate. Not sure if you want to risk that if one is not available, but if you don't care all that much, then maybe you can score a better deal. It seems they are changing the ways the last minute suite deals are made, but it still seems there are going to be some. You just may have to bid for them, but, honestly, I have no idea.

We have done the full-transit Panama Canal in a forward suite on Pearl and Jewel and believe them to be the best cabins for seeing the Canal. We have also had forward suites on Jewel class and the Star for Mexican Riviera, Alaska, and Pacific Coastal. Here's my two cents, YMMV:

Motion - We just got back from a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Jewel in a forward suite. It was a little rocky the last two days. There was more motion at the front of the ship than at the back, but not significantly. It wasn't a problem for us. We put on our sea bands and didn't need dramamine/bonine; we just were slightly more careful walking about the cabin.

All three Panama Canal cruises were east to west and were in April or May. They were the smoothest cruises we have had. There were many days when you couldn't even tell you were on the ocean.

Wind - It all depends on the direction of the wind and the speed of the ship as to whether you will want to be out on your deck. The deck is sheltered to the front by a heavy iron railing that deflects the wind upward, and there is a slight overhang over a portion of the deck towards the back. There are times it is very windy, times it is breezy and times it is dead calm. When it was breezy it was still comfortable for me to lie out on the lounger as it was below the railing.

The View - Amazing!! It made a lifetime memory for us and we feel it is the only way to see the Canal. We will be doing our fourth PC cruise next April and we will not be in our favorite forward cabin for a variety of reasons, and I'm kind of mourning that we won't see the Canal from that vantage point.