Croisieres de France CDF Cruise Info & FAQ for Americans in English

Stockjock

I recently booked a cruise on Croisieres de France and had a hard time finding much information about them in English. So I put together a video about them based on what I've learned so far.

I'm cross-posting this on the Celebrity Forum only because CDF's two current ships were formerly the Celebrity Zenith and Celebrity Horizon. Additionally, they recently purchased the current Celebrity Century, which I've sailed on. So I thought there might still be some interest from the Celebrity cruisers who have been on these ships in the past.

Here's a link to the video:

If you get an error message (I did), try this link instead:

Edited by Stockjock

Thanks. Seems like most of the things that I had already deduced from my own research.

Couple of comments. As to gratuities, could that be related to the fact that CDF usually books the cruise AND the Flight from Paris. So the French Market has a higher cost? Joining in St. Maarten, or the DR, would not have that cost. So the "independents" would have gratuities added where the French All inclusive would not?

There are decent you tube videos of the cruises and it does seem like they do have a lot of energy throughout the ship.

Also the videos seem to show a little more crowding in the dining rooms since there is no buffet dining and the passengers all eat in the dining room.

Continuing from the videos, entertainment also is in French and appears to be french versions of 70's and 80's US entertainment. Could be entertaining.

There are also some Quebec based travel agents for CDF. so if someone is in upstate NY or thereabouts, you might get decent rates from them.

Finally, when is your cruise???

Au revoir for now. And Merci!

Brad: Really enjoyed your you tube presentation. I have not yet sailed on CDF, but have cruised three times with Pullmantur CDF's parent company, including the Horizon and Zenith and would imagine they will be somewhat similar. I enjoyed their all-inclusive style of cruising which includes nice food, all the specialty Lavazza coffees and a good selection of wines, beers and liquors but not gratuities which are automatic like all other RCCL ships.

Mapsmith felt that the MDRs were busy because they were the only evening dining available, but Pullmantur also had 20-23 alternative dining in the Windjammer buffet where the exact same menu as the MDR with appetizers and desserts served buffet style and entrees served at the table without the hassle of dressing up.If you have any other questions, fire away.

This 20-23 was how the buffet was designated on board. It may just be a clumsy Spanish to English translation for the buffet that's open from 8pm - 11pm as the Spaniards traditionally dine later.

We usually cruise in late January. Will have to see how things go. but may be looking at the week before you StockJock. (or maybe we'll try for the same week, at least we would have someone with a similar language background)

We usually cruise in late January. Will have to see how things go. but may be looking at the week before you StockJock. (or maybe we'll try for the same week, at least we would have someone with a similar language background)

Sounds good.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I just updated several topics in the comments section of YouTube.

Sample 7 day dinner menus added with optional wines (in French).

Breakfast Buffet menu added (English and French).

Which alcohol is included at no extra cost, and availability and cost of optional alcohol (in Euros).

Cost of onboard internet service (seems cheaper than most).

Edited by Stockjock

• 2 weeks later...
In the other thread you mentioned that taxes and port fees were a little higher. Can you give us some idea of what it is?

Sure. Here are the actual numbers from our 7 day out of St. Maarten. The base fare is very inexpensive, but I think the taxes are relatively high:

Cruise (includes port charges) 636.00 Government Taxes 480.00

Total Sale (US$) $ 1,116.00

Edited by Stockjock

Sure. Here are the actual numbers from our 7 day out of St. Maarten. The base fare is very inexpensive, but I think the taxes are relatively high:

Cruise (includes port charges) 636.00 Government Taxes 480.00

Total Sale (US$) $ 1,116.00

Thanks, about ready to pull the trigger. Just have to find the right combination of flights. Currently flights are about $1k per person from TUS to SXM. Going to look at nesting if I can find decent fares from MIA.

Thanks, about ready to pull the trigger. Just have to find the right combination of flights. Currently flights are about $1k per person from TUS to SXM. Going to look at nesting if I can find decent fares from MIA.

I used AAdvantage frequent flyer miles, so it was about $75 pp from San Diego (plus miles).

I used AAdvantage frequent flyer miles, so it was about $75 pp from San Diego (plus miles).

Hopefully, we will have enough FF miles to do so. Had to burn a lot over the past couple of years visiting Mom before she passed. My FF account was down to 4000. But Mapwife seems to have a lot. But her folks ain't in the best of health either. So pricing and waiting and searching etc.

(When I gave Mapwife a list of cruises to see which she wanted, she picked CDF!)

Mom specified that we should use part of the inheritance to take a cruise and this will be it.

• 1 month later...

For the other information Junkies who are looking for information,

For a little more information, I found that the Pullmantur Cruises site actually has the CDF Horizon Caribbean Cruise listed as one of theirs. (although since it is directed to Spain, the info is in Euros.) but the site is in English.

I think they address the gratuity question. They mention that it is all inclusive EXCEPT for specialty dining (may include lobster), 'brand drinks' (Thanks for the link to the bar menu StockJock), and 'service taxes' which I think may indicate gratuities.

There is also a decent youtube titled 'la vie en bord Horizon' that even though in French, does a good overview of the ship and cruise.

Still looking at it. Trying to find airfares. Southwest starts to San Juan after the first of the year (actually October, I think) but they don't have fares loaded for January yet.

Edited by mapsmith

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hola. Hope you are fine.

I am travelling solo CDF January 26, 2015.

Will like to 'Meet & Mingle' with other passengers.

Thanks.

peace

Rosaligia Álvarez-Febles

Puerto Rico

Reinamaga, I'll be on this cruise and I found another English-speaking Swiss couple (I believe) who will also be on it.

Not sure if you are interested, but we have had difficulty setting up English tours on Guadeloupe and Martinique in particular. However, there are one or more companies who might do it and may offer group discounts.

One fellow in particular seems to offer a good price on Martinique (I think it is) for a van of 6 or more passengers (30 Euro per person, I think). So if 2 couples and you did it, *maybe* that would work.

Let me know and if you are interested, I'll pass the info along.

Hola. Hope you are fine.

Please write to me at:

rosaligiaa@hotmail.com

I have a friend that will pic-me up in Martinica.

Will like to swim-snorkel in Guadalupe and see the island.

Do not have plans yet to Isla Margarita.

Thanks.

peace

Rosaligia Álvarez

Puerto Rico

Not sure if you are interested, but we have had difficulty setting up English tours on Guadeloupe and Martinique in particular. However, there are one or more companies who might do it and may offer group discounts.

One fellow in particular seems to offer a good price on Martinique (I think it is) for a van of 6 or more passengers (30 Euro per person, I think). So if 2 couples and you did it, *maybe* that would work.

Let me know and if you are interested, I'll pass the info along.

Hi. Has anyone booked the Horizon Dominican Republic to Barcelona cruise for April 11. I have just enquired about this cruise at vacations to go and was told by the agent that the cruise is not all inclusive. I know that the cost of the cruise is really cheap but I had seen somewhere that it was all incusive.. Anyone booked this cruise with any info regarding the AI I would be happy to hear your views.

Thanks

Hi. Has anyone booked the Horizon Dominican Republic to Barcelona cruise for April 11. I have just enquired about this cruise at vacations to go and was told by the agent that the cruise is not all inclusive. I know that the cost of the cruise is really cheap but I had seen somewhere that it was all incusive.. Anyone booked this cruise with any info regarding the AI I would be happy to hear your views.

Thanks

I was told by them, that it was the last all inclusive cruise, as it was considered to be a Caribbean cruise. I am close to booking this myself!

I was told by them, that it was the last all inclusive cruise, as it was considered to be a Caribbean cruise. I am close to booking this myself!

Hi.

I am looking at the transatlantic crossing cruise.

I just read on another thread that the AI is changing in 2015 but the Tranatlantic cruises in 2015 are not affected by the changes and will indeed be AI

I am so tempted to book the cruise. Just wish I knew for certain

Hi.

I am looking at the transatlantic crossing cruise.

I just read on another thread that the AI is changing in 2015 but the Tranatlantic cruises in 2015 are not affected by the changes and will indeed be AI

I am so tempted to book the cruise. Just wish I knew for certain

How many 16 night, all-inclusive cruises this has got to be, the King of deals) go for $1,000 for two people? I am going to look at booking it from Margarita Island.