NCL vs. Holland America

Roissy747

Planning an Alaska cruise this coming September, I booke a mini-suite in the Norwegian Jewel (room 11062) but I wonder if I should cancel and book a Superior Verandah suite in the Oosterdam. The Oosterdam is a bit more expensive (really negligible). I have not travelled either cruise lines, so am having a hard time making a decision. I will be taking my 76 year (very very active) mom as a present for her. Any suggestions before I make a final choice? THANKS!!

There's a fit for everyone. We tried NCL for a family cruise that included a range of ages from 11 - 88. We figured that NCL offered the widest range of things to do.

On my own, with my mother, I'd absolutely pick HAL over NCL. In fact, it's hard to come up with a scenario that would get me back on NCL. It's not that it was bad, the cruise was fine, but the atmosphere just didn't suit.

Are the itineraries very similar? Or might one to Glacier Bay and the other not? I would scrutinize the itineraries first. If they are the same, consider the style you would like. NCL is very casual and has all open dining and tends to draw a wide age range. HAL has formal night, traditional or open dining options, and a reputation for drawing a much older crowd...as noted above, your mother might feel a "young chick" on board.

If it were me and my mother, I'd choose HAL. Mostly because HAL is geared towards an older crowd and is a bit more refined. Being a "very active" seventy six is good, but she's still seventy six. She will still be among younger folks on either ship, but on HAL I think she will be with folks that are still within an age group she can relate to.

The age group on HAL seemed to run around fifty to seventy more or less with a sprinkling of younger folks but not too many. But choosing a cruise ship is a personal thing.

Is she helping with choosing the cruise ship? Can you give her details on each one and let her help pick? Then she would be invested in the choice and not as likely to criticize but only necessary if she's that type of mom. Although for some folks, planning it is half the fun so maybe she wants to start the cruise early by helping plan?

Archived