May passengers bring six pack of beer on board purchased at Alaska ports?

Floridapenny

I will be traveling from Vancouver to Whittier on the Star and back on the Island in May. I enjoy drinking craft beer and was disappointed to read that the beer served on Princess is not very good. I was wondering if, while in port, for example Juneau, I could purchase a six pack of Alaskan beer and bring it on board and enjoy it while cruising. From what I have read, I cannot bring beer when embarking in Vancouver, but I was wondering about intermediate US ports.

Thank you.

We did at each port 2 years ago. We even asked a crew member and he said no problem for a 6 pack. We put it through the scanner in a shopping bag and no one said a word. We have done this on other cruises too. No harm in trying.

I will be traveling from Vancouver to Whittier on the Star and back on the Island in May. I enjoy drinking craft beer and was disappointed to read that the beer served on Princess is not very good. I was wondering if, while in port, for example Juneau, I could purchase a six pack of Alaskan beer and bring it on board and enjoy it while cruising. From what I have read, I cannot bring beer when embarking in Vancouver, but I was wondering about intermediate US ports.

Thank you.

Most likely you'll get by with it. Their alcohol check in desk is usually pretty lax in collecting it & people just walk right by & go up the stairs.(especially when it's crowded ;);))

Thank you.

My DH and I went by city bus while in Juneau to https://alaskanbeer.com/visit/ .

It was small but nice. They let you taste all of their beers. We brought two sis packs and brought them back onto the ship. This was in 2008.

We did the brewery tour from the Alaskan brewery store in August 2014. $20 round trip including tasting and tour. Brought a six pack and a couple bombers of the Smoked Porter back to the ship. We put them in our backpacks. No problem.

We did the brewery tour from the Alaskan brewery store in August 2014. $20 round trip including tasting and tour. Brought a six pack and a couple bombers of the Smoked Porter back to the ship. We put them in our backpacks. No problem.

I did a 'bike and brew' excursion back in 2009 with HAL Veendam. We biked to Mendenhall Glacier, then driven to the Alaskan Brewery by van. I recommend this brewery. Tom

Officially, no; but as you can tell, it is very hit and miss.

Agree 100%!

In December 2016 on Regal, and March 2017 on CB, the alcohol desk was in another room and no one checked to see if you stopped at the desk.

Delivery of confiscated alcohol is the morning of the last day, so technically you can still drink it onboard.

Go for it! At the worst, you'll take home some AK beer to enjoy later.

Agree 100%!

In December 2016 on Regal, and March 2017 on CB, the alcohol desk was in another room and no one checked to see if you stopped at the desk.

Delivery of confiscated alcohol is the morning of the last day, so technically you can still drink it onboard.

Go for it! At the worst, you'll take home some AK beer to enjoy later.

When bringing back alcohol at any port if you have more than 1 bottle always package them separately just in case the guys on the scanner are watching you. (especially early morning boarders).

Then when standing at the liquor check in table you only give them 1 bottle out of your bag & all looks fine. ;);)

Thank you for your replies. I am really looking forward to drinking Alaska brewed beer (whether on the ship or in port).

Be sure to take the free Alaska Brewery tour/tasting in Juneau. Hop the city bus. Walking distance from the pier. Tell the driver where you want to go. He'll let you know. As far as getting back on the ship. Sorta depends on who is working shoreside. Different lines have different policies, so the shoreside staff can't remember them all. In my experience, just walk onboard with it in a paper bag. No problem. Alcohol is expensive in Alaska. So, yeah, some risk.