Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I'm so over dress code threads, however for some reason my iPad presented this one to me, it must be one I subscribed to in the past. May I just compliment you on the best response to this topic I have ever read. That's all. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you! Always good to know there are at least a few others out there with more important things to engage their minds. My hope is that the vast majority of our fellow cruisers find this whole discussion so absurd that they don't even think it worth their time to comment.

BTW, Nautical is one of our favorite ships. We took it from Athens to Singapore in 2012 and Cape Town to Singapore the year before. Also took the Marina from Santiago to Tahiti. Love Oceania!

• 1 month later...

Just read this lot from beginning to end. It was more entertaining than having my teeth cleaned but I'm still left wondering whether a "dress" shirt has long sleeves. We certainly won't be in the MDR on Sojourn on formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Just read this lot from beginning to end. It was more entertaining than having my teeth cleaned but I'm still left wondering whether a "dress" shirt has long sleeves. We certainly won't be in the MDR on Sojourn on formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless of course you get nitrous oxide while your teeth are being cleaned. Anyway, have no fear - anything goes on formal nights so long as you stay out of the MDR.

Sent telepathically.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been on Seabourn for two years. My next trip is to Alaska in June, on Sojourn. On the last trip, 32 days NZ to Bali, I found that most people who attended the "Captain's Welcome" event were in black tie. BUT, many passengers did not attend that event, perhaps because they felt uncomfortable going to an event where the Captain was in "dress" attire, and the staff were all dressed formally. In the dining room, I actually surveyed the crowd and found that 70% of the men were NOT in black tie. There was a mix of suits and sport jackets. That presents some discomfort because SOME of the people at your table at dinner are in black tie, while most will probably not be. I have found that if you get on the "Roll Call" for your trip, you can survey what the others will be wearing. I tend to wear a "modified" black tie outfit. A tux with a regular white cuffed shirt and cufflinks, and a black bow tie. That avoids the need for a cummerbund, braces, and shirt button studs, and still looks quite formal. The women are "all over the lot", some with long gowns, and many with more "cocktail" dress attire. Over the 15 years we have made 7 trips with Seabourn, and we find the trend is definitely away from the full tux, or long gown approach.

This thread is always fascinating.

We always think it odd that the Captains Welcome gatherings are partly promoted as a get to know your fellow passengers event but people sit down on arrival.

There is no chance of mingling and the only people you can talk to are those who sit next to you.

I am not going to comment on dress code as I'm a Brit and we have a possibly unusual attitude to it.

Tony

Tony...you are so right! The Captain's receptions are exactly as you describe. And...as for you're being a Brit...I learned my "just get a

tux, French cuff shirt, and black bow tie, old chap", approach in England, where "black tie" is just another suit and tie...no big deal. And...the ladies deserve a chance to wear their finest, and the gentleman should dress accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

First time on Seabourn and I have a question on dress code that obviously affects our packing. We typically try to travel as light as possible with only carry on luggage regardless of length of cruise.

I am not a stickler for dress code but wanted to ask about polo shirts. I will normally wear them during the day and in port.

I don't mind the occasional formal night - especially if the food is special for the occasion. I will wear a business suit, no big deal...

However, on other nights I see that "dress shirt" is specified, with or without jacket.

Where does a nice polo shirt fit in? What if I wear a jacket and polo? Or even an aloha shirt?

thanks in advance, just want to be appropriate

Hi all,

First time on Seabourn and I have a question on dress code that obviously affects our packing. We typically try to travel as light as possible with only carry on luggage regardless of length of cruise.

I am not a stickler for dress code but wanted to ask about polo shirts. I will normally wear them during the day and in port.

I don't mind the occasional formal night - especially if the food is special for the occasion. I will wear a business suit, no big deal...

However, on other nights I see that "dress shirt" is specified, with or without jacket.

Where does a nice polo shirt fit in? What if I wear a jacket and polo? Or even an aloha shirt?

A jacket over a polo, or an aloha shirt is appropriate. A polo itself would be fine on a casual night.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

There are very formal aloha shirts that can be found. I wear them all the time....including on Seabourn.

Thank you all for your information. It all sounds very reasonable and smacks of common sense....

The only reason I even asked to begin with is that the FAQ on the Seabourn website says:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional.

I called Seabourn and they said that this information is incorrect and it should have said "collared shirt".

Not too many "collared dress shirts" in my wardrobe anymore.

Also, thank all of you for not making this dress code thread become the "free-for-all" other dress postings have become.

Thanks LincsLady. I post myself as Fulham but my wife and I originate from just across the Humber near the bridge Barbara Castle built to unite us.

Blue jeans get the heave ho then. I think I'd rather have them hidden under the table than that very formal aloha shirt at Winteringham Fields.

I must stop looking at this thread............

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

This discussion has been going on for years on the luxury line threads. It is getting tedious. Society in the Western cultures has changed in the direction of casual. Here where I live folks don't dress up for church anymore. Bankers come to work casual. And the list goes on. That is also true on the American luxury cruise lines. The debate is really over. That disappoints some of the old guard who want to obscure the paunch and wrinkles (I can claim a bit of both) with fancy dress. But fancy dress as a requirement is history. Period. What amazes me is the willingness of some of the fancy dress stalwarts to bare almost all posing nearly naked on the pool deck during the day. What a contrast!!

This discussion has been going on for years on the luxury line threads. It is getting tedious. Society in the Western cultures has changed in the direction of casual. Here where I live folks don't dress up for church anymore. Bankers come to work casual. And the list goes on. That is also true on the American luxury cruise lines. The debate is really over. That disappoints some of the old guard who want to obscure the paunch and wrinkles (I can claim a bit of both) with fancy dress. But fancy dress as a requirement is history. Period. What amazes me is the willingness of some of the fancy dress stalwarts to bare almost all posing nearly naked on the pool deck during the day. What a contrast!!

People may it may not agree with you. But is your point relevant? "fancy dress as a requirement" will be history when the cruise lines change their requirements. Some have, some have not. A banker can wear shorts to the office, bur don't use that as justification to wear them if the cruise line dies not allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, Pop-i - a few people look marvellous in any sort of outfit, a few look awful no matter what they wear, and the majority of us just about scrape by. In my case, it means wearing clothes which are considered acceptable by the cruise line, and nothing too outre so as to stand out too much! Quite difficult for staff at the dining room door to send back to change those who look elegant and well dressed although they may be in jeans or whatever. Glad it is not me who decides.

I think on some hot weather cruises recently there may have been so many who did not conform to the rules that staff felt unable to cope with trying to enforce them?

• 2 weeks later...

Some people on the pool deck really need to cover up a bit on all cruise lines for sure.

I will second that !! Bikinis and Speedos on people who should know better.

That's why I prefer cold weather itineraries. Just saying. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can remember when people were always kicked out of the mdr for not wearing jackets or wearing jeans, and if they made a fuss about it and wouldn't fetch a jacket for example, they would be given what my husband and I called the "jacket of shame", lent to them for the evening by SB! People are always trying to push the boundaries, but SB not supporting the dress code by policing it isn't helping.