Seabourn Encore Dress Code

Vivace1945

I am beginning to think this thread has lost its usefulness, and become a bit too antagonistic. Don't entirely know why, but maybe time to close it down? Lots more interesting things to discuss - I would love to know how current cruises on all ships are going on.

I am beginning to think this thread has lost its usefulness, and become a bit too antagonistic. Don't entirely know why, but maybe time to close it down? Lots more interesting things to discuss - I would love to know how current cruises on all ships are going on.

Do you know you are not required to post and also that you are not required to read this thread, and that you can instead look at other lists about how current cruises are doing?Or do you just want the final word?

So much nastiness for one little thread. It's sad that my prediction from last year has come true - that when the smoking threads finally died, the snarling would move to the dress code threads.

This thread should have been merged into the other dress code one to begin with. Blue jeans are not any more acceptable in the main dining room on Encore than they are on the other ships, everyone still feels polarized about formal night, and no one cares that "the times are a changing" with the generations... at least not until Seabourn says it's so by declaring an official change to the dress code.

So much nastiness for one little thread. It's sad that my prediction from last year has come true - that when the smoking threads finally died, the snarling would move to the dress code threads.

This thread should have been merged into the other dress code one to begin with. Blue jeans are not any more acceptable in the main dining room on Encore than they are on the other ships, everyone still feels polarized about formal night, and no one cares that "the times are a changing" with the generations... at least not until Seabourn says it's so by declaring an official change to the dress code.

But SB has declared an official change to its dress code. Formal night used tome tuxedos or dark suits and gowns or cocktail dresses. Formal OPTIONAL now means a jacket with our without tie at minimum. If one prefers one can wear white tie and tails but SB does not care.

But SB has declared an official change to its dress code. Formal night used tome tuxedos or dark suits and gowns or cocktail dresses. Formal OPTIONAL now means a jacket with our without tie at minimum. If one prefers one can wear white tie and tails but SB does not care.

But with that charge it still doesn't mean one can wear blue jeans, green jeans, or Billie Jeans to dinner in The Restaurant no matter how young one is, how expensive the jeans are, or what another cruise line allows... at least not until Seabourn states it in writing. ;)

The dress code is exactly the same as Crystal's very easy and more relaxed then back in the day when both were very formal. Wearing a sports jacket without a tie is easy with a collared shirt and comfortable slacks. I do see the tuxedos declining and the long gowns.

Jen - You are so right. I will be happy to buy you a glass of champagne (or your favorite included drink) on the Alaska cruise. :D

135 posts (although many if not most redundant) and yet probably not one passenger was swayed one way or the other.That's a really good use of one's time.Must be some secondary gain or pleasure derived.

This thread - and for that matter this section of CC - IS a medium for free exchange of ideas, views and news and for conversation. It is serving its purpose and everyone is invited to participate.

Happy and healthy sailing!

This thread - and for that matter this section of CC - IS a medium for free exchange of ideas, views and news and for conversation. It is serving its purpose and everyone is invited to participate.

Happy and healthy sailing!

And the sticky above says "Dress Code", most of these posts should be there. Unfortunately I think Jen is correct, it has taken the place of the smoking thread :(. But ... I guess the other way of looking at it is, isn't it great the smoking thread is no longer needed.

:evilsmile:

Jen - You are so right. I will be happy to buy you a glass of champagne (or your favorite included drink) on the Alaska cruise. :D

I can't wait! :D

I am quite certain the Alaska cruises will bring their own reboot of the dress code threads. I have heard anecdotally that Seabourn is picking up a lot of first-timers on these sailings and I'm certain that plus the locale will bring about a new run of dress code exception requests.

Meanwhile, I'll be looking forward to wearing my long-sleeved long dress on formal night... I do look forward to my dress up occasions and after coming off 7 nights on NCL in May, I'm certain I'll be more than over the anything goes "I'll wear what I want" stylings of others. :confused:

But with that charge it still doesn't mean one can wear blue jeans, green jeans, or Billie Jeans to dinner in The Restaurant no matter how young one is, how expensive the jeans are, or what another cruise line allows... at least not until Seabourn states it in writing. ;)

You are absolutely right in that. And if the maitre d' allows that kind of attire it is his fault.

CUrrently on Encore, just arrived at Komodo Island, Indonesia from Bali. I will write a full review when we finish our cruise in Singapore but on the specific subject of dress code, well there doesn't appear to be one based on yesterday's formal night. A scattering of tuxes/gowns but mostly tie-less shirts and frequently no jackets either. One or two Hawaiian style shirts in MDR and Thomas Keller grill. Seems that people just don't make an effort and/or don't care. Seabourn clearly isn't enforcing its own guidelines either. The. Carnival rot is setting in as I feared.

Looking forward to your review and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

As far as dress code, I have seen the non-compliance manifesting on all luxury lines. Gezzz minimum standards are not hard to abide bye and one can still be comfortable.

Miles

CUrrently on Encore, just arrived at Komodo Island, Indonesia from Bali. I will write a full review when we finish our cruise in Singapore but on the specific subject of dress code, well there doesn't appear to be one based on yesterday's formal night. A scattering of tuxes/gowns but mostly tie-less shirts and frequently no jackets either. One or two Hawaiian style shirts in MDR and Thomas Keller grill. Seems that people just don't make an effort and/or don't care. Seabourn clearly isn't enforcing its own guidelines either. The. Carnival rot is setting in as I feared.

To call the absence of a tie "Carnival rot' is a built over the top imo. Calm when you see a wife beater or a wet T shirt contest on Seabourn.

I've just got back from Sojourn and I thought everyone seemed very dressed up on formal night, me included! I could notice the difference between formal night and non formal night.

There were dinner jackets (you may call it a tux?!) snazzy jackets, bow ties, cocktail dresses, glitter, long dresses, and from what I could see, I didn't notice any slipping standards.

I like dressing up, and always do for the MDR anyway, because I don't so much at home.

Let's hope it stays like this!

Just lurking here as a semi refugee from the Silversea boards and fascinated by the amount of discussion and diverse opinions that 'formal optional' generates.

Luckily this board does not seem to have been noticed by the SS board's mega poster who has had the effect of killing this sort of open air forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums