Concerns about Viking River Cruises

See Norway

We unfortunately had to cancel a December 2017 Viking River cruise due to a new job and relocation. We were advised that our full payment would be refunded in 21 business days. That came and went and in subsequent calls we have been told that there are problems with their accounting system and the payment would have to be processed manually and would take another 5 business days. We feel like we are getting a delaying tactic on getting our refund. Has anyone else experienced any problems/delays with refunds? I did go through a Travel Agent and am working closely with them to resolve the issue, but am very concerned that a major river cruise line is not abiding by the refund timeline agreement.

Thanks for any advice.

If it's been 3 weeks already then it's time to dispute the Credit Card pmt as there is ZERO reason for a refund to take longer than 7 days. I spent 30 yrs in banking and I can guarantee that answer!

have you gone online and double checked the refund hasn't already been processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

If it's been 3 weeks already then it's time to dispute the Credit Card pmt as there is ZERO reason for a refund to take longer than 7 days. I spent 30 yrs in banking and I can guarantee that answer!

have you gone online and double checked the refund hasn't already been processed.

I'm not disputing your banking knowledge, but I have been told occasionally that it can take up to 2 or 3 billing cycles before you see a refund on your credit card statement. I never understood why; if you can bill me immediately you should be able to refund immediately, but that is what I have been told.

I'm not disputing your banking knowledge, but I have been told occasionally that it can take up to 2 or 3 billing cycles before you see a refund on your credit card statement. I never understood why; if you can bill me immediately you should be able to refund immediately, but that is what I have been told.

To be on a printed statement yes. But if you log into your acct online and look at pending transactions you will see those weeks before the paper stmt depending on cut off dates. 7 to 10 days to actually appear in your acct is normal and reasonable.

Currently in Hawaii and had to cancel a Sunset Sail last Wednesday, today the credit appeared in my online acct. Due to statement cut off dates I won't actually see the credit until the April Statement is produced. But the actual credit is there now and reflected in lower balance due on this acct.

I understand, but that should mean the latest would be 2 billing cycles. (And yes, I always check online, although it is only recently that pending transactions started to show on my accounts.) Thanks for the clarification.

I understand that you're feeling concerned but I would give them a little more time before disputing the charge on your CC. But that's me - I'm a person that tends to be more relaxed about things in general though...although, I can appreciate how you're feeling.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. We have been checking our credit card account daily with no refund as of noon today. I have received two phone calls from a Viking Customer Service representative advising that they processed the refund last week, but still no evidence of it. I'll continue to monitor. I was told that if the refund is not posted by this Friday that they would send a check. But, I am having to work VERY hard to get a refund for a cancellation made on 1/29. I'll give you an update once something happens.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. We have been checking our credit card account daily with no refund as of noon today. I have received two phone calls from a Viking Customer Service representative advising that they processed the refund last week, but still no evidence of it. I'll continue to monitor. I was told that if the refund is not posted by this Friday that they would send a check. But, I am having to work VERY hard to get a refund for a cancellation made on 1/29. I'll give you an update once something happens.

Have you called your bank to see what if they can see the refund trying to post? And did you confirm with Viking EXACTLY what CC # the refund was refunded back to .

Thanks for the advice JVilleGal. We have been in touch with our credit card company and have confirmed with Viking that they are using the correct credit card number. As of late last night we received a PARTIAL refund, not the full amount. It was not the amount that I confirmed with the Viking representative when we started this process. This is puzzling and frustrating. I am working hourly with Viking and my Travel Agent. I only share this to find out if we are the only ones experiencing these long refund delays with Viking. Or at least to share a cautionary tale. We've had to cancel a cruise in the past, way before final payment, with another cruise line and it all worked perfectly. I am having to spend WAY too much of my time trying to get refund for something I canceled on January 29th.

If you have a TA that you booked this thru then it's the job of the TA to fight this battle. That said others have reported the refunds have previously come in multiple transactions and odd amounts. Is the difference that is missing the amount of a deposit?

Good news. I wanted to update those who have been giving advice that the full refund has now been received. They did it in several transactions. It took 41 days from the time we canceled, but all is good now.

Agree with above poster. We had to cancel a Viking cruise within 2 weeks of original booking (& more than 1 year before departure). We incurred a $100 penalty pp, which is there policy . Also they required full payment about 8 or 9 months before departure. Most other companies require full payment 60 days before departure. For a big company they have some stringent payment rules.

We were offered a $100/each "first-timer" credit. One showed up immediately but the other one didn't. I asked about it a few times over the next couple of months and recd various answers.

Then one day I noticed a $96 credit in my checking acct from Viking. I am certainly not one to quibble about $4 but it did make me ponder how often that happens. Those $4s can add up.

Dear dogsarepeopletoo,

Thank you for your feedback.

We definitely agree that four dollars can add up, but without additional information, it is unclear what the refund was for, so it is important that we take a look at your reservation. Please email your booking information and best contact information to Tellus@vikingcruises.com.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We were offered a $100/each "first-timer" credit. One showed up immediately but the other one didn't. I asked about it a few times over the next couple of months and recd various answers.

Then one day I noticed a $96 credit in my checking acct from Viking. I am certainly not one to quibble about $4 but it did make me ponder how often that happens. Those $4s can add up.

• 2 weeks later...