question about name card on mailbox/door

vmom

Lucky you. A locked door doesn't always work. People have keys and all in room "extra" locks can be over-ridden if you know how. It's why I carry a plastic door stop.

I hope that you never have to experience anything that changes your world view for the worse. Blessed Be.

One person's "not necessary" is another person's lifesaver. The extra 45 seconds it gave me saved my life.

Those extra 45 seconds might cost you you life it they're trying to get into your cabin with a defibrillator & not get to you in time.

That more likely to happen then a creepy person breaking down your door on a cruise ship. :rolleyes:

My wife and I always travel together. However, if she were traveling solo, I would want her to do whatever makes her feel safe. If it would give her peace of mind to remove or change the name card, or use a door stop, then I would want her to do those things.

To the OP, do what you think is best for you. Have a safe and happy cruise!

Originally Posted by callmedeb viewpost.gif

Lucky you. A locked door doesn't always work. People have keys and all in room "extra" locks can be over-ridden if you know how. It's why I carry a plastic door stop.

I hope that you never have to experience anything that changes your world view for the worse. Blessed Be.

Having a plastic door stop could also cost you your life if Emergency Personnel can't get through the door to use a defibrillator.

The doorstop only slows them down it doesn't stop people from getting in - it's a risk I am willing to take because I've experienced the consequences. To each their own.

I assume from this that you have had an experience with someone breaking into your room. That is scary. Take your name tag off. Carry your doorstop. Your reality is not anyone else's reality, so do what you want to do. Seems simple enough to me. I am thankful that I have never had an experience like yours.

There is also another option-

If you have an old name card- create your own with the way you want your name- then swap it out when you get on the ship.

Or- create a label with the name that you prefer- and just stick it on the name card.

I also travel solo- and in spite of having a somewhat feminine name- when I use my designation (Dr.)- people often state- "Oh! I thought you were a man." I always find that weird AND sexist.

My name is Tracie-Lynn. In all of my travels, I have yet to meet a male who has this name with a hyphen. :rolleyes:

I can't believe in 2016 you still get this reaction. These people probably think that their male nurse is a resident.

You are very wise! I do the same thing when traveling alone. No need to invite trouble. I find it interesting that other cruiselines don't put peoples names on the door! I can't imagine why Princess does it. They'd save alot of time and money if they stopped.

That they would, but then we would be reading a thread entitled another cut back by Princess.:)

Now for my funniest story. I had parked my rental car and gone into a big box store. When I came out I attempted to unlock my car only to find out the key did not work. I tried again and still it would not work when I glanced inside and noticed articles inside that did not belong to me. Realizing I had the wrong car, I turned to walk away when standing there was the owner! Red faced I attempted to explain what had happened but I am not sure he bought the story. I just slinked off looking for my rental car terribly embarrassed. Did it ever happen again you might ask and the answer is yes of course.

This happens more than you think. We once owned a very popular minivan in a popular color. I don't know if my remote keyless entry opened the door or if the door was left open. I buckled my son in the built in car seat and proceeded to start the car. The car wouldn't start. I then noticed something hanging on the rearview mirror that wasn't mine. I jumped out of the van and grabbed my son. My van was parked two cars away. Fortunately nobody saw me.

This happens more than you think. We once owned a very popular minivan in a popular color. I don't know if my remote keyless entry opened the door or if the door was left open. I buckled my son in the built in car seat and proceeded to start the car. The car wouldn't start. I then noticed something hanging on the rearview mirror that wasn't mine. I jumped out of the van and grabbed my son. My van was parked two cars away. Fortunately nobody saw me.

That's even happened with people coming home a little drink & going into the wrong apartment.

Great, now the "weirdos" out there will be looking for the cabins w/o name tags...those are all the solo cruisers...;)

My thoughts exactly. Oddly some who said that they will remove the name tags also have the cruise count downs with the ship and date posted in their signature. Jack or Jane the Ripper probably stalks the travel boards planning his/her next victim. I decided that I am now safer with our name tag in the mailbox. I don't want anyone to think that the room is occupied by a single female cruiser. My wife and I aren't always in the room together.

• 3 months later...

It would seem to me that Princess could help this situation a bit by just making name tags with first initial, last name. That would help the stewards, but keep it gender-anonymous.

I personally like the name tags on the doors, but I can understand the concerns of those who travel alone. They should do whatever they need to do to feel comfortable.