Mobility Scooter on a Rhine River Cruise

crazyboutcruisn

My husband and I are going on a river cruise down the Rhine, hopefully in March or April of 2018. We havent picked a cruise line and I'm just now getting started on reading the boards here on CC. I have my own battery operated scooter that I have used very successfully on Many ocean cruises. I am able to walk up four or five stairs, but I'm not able to walk very far. I think my scooter would do fine on the beautiful cobblestone streets of Europe along the Rhine and even uphill and downhill as long as the hills aren't terribly steep... does anyone know how well a scooter would do on a river ship? How would the scooter be transported off of the ship? I have been told that many of the disembarkation procedures are that we would have to transfer from one ship to another ship and then down a ramp? My DH is able-bodied as long as he wouldn't have to sling the scooter over his sholder...... the scooter has three wheels and I'm able to easily maneuver it through the doors of an ocean cruise ship cabin (25" wide). Also, would there be room for the scooter in a cabin? I don't believe I would have a problem with the bathroom as long as there was a sink or such to catch my balance. Thanks so much. Any shared knowledge is appreciated! :)

You really need to work with TA who is well versed in river cruising to see what the specific options are for you.

We have been on 15 river cruises, across 4 lines, and never seen a scooter. Last year we did have a wheelchair passenger aboard (she fell and broke a leg about a month before the cruise) and I don't know how she did it.

Most river boats do not have cabins that can accommodate a scooter, except for the largest suites.

The line needs to allow for a scooter (not all will) and you will be responsible for getting it on and off the boat in port, which IMO can be quite challenging based on some of the ramp situations we have experienced.

You would not be able to access Sun Deck, which would be a shame, as I have never seen a river boat with elevator access to the sundeck.

IMO, a river cruise is not a good choice.

I totally agree with caviargal, a river cruise is not a good choice for you!

The gangplanks are pretty narrow and even if it´s wide enough for your scooter - depending on the river stage - the plank might be too steep. Some landings also have steps.

Actually for using a mobility scooter which is able to run faster than 6 km/h you need an insurance in Germany (which is shown by a special license plate). If it´s faster than 15 km/h you also need a valid driving license. Plus you need a special certificate that this vehicle is safe (which is usually issued by the manufacturer which has to pass a general test for this type of vehicle with a German authority). I don´t think there´s an exemption for foreigners using their device during a vacation trip.

steamboats

Hello crazyboutcruisn,

I am afraid I need to agree with caviargal in that a) you are best off with a very knowledgeable TA, b) you will be restricted on the ship, c) a river cruise is not a good choice.

Let me explain that the scooters I see people using here in Germany are well able to navigate through most streets and all modern elevators should be fine. If the motor is strong enough you will be able to do most inclines. Some old tourist attractions will be inaccessible and the Marksburg castle is completely out of the question.

Most ships will have to double dock (raft) in one or two ports and "managing four or five stairs" is usually not enough to get you off the ship if you are second in row.

How you might be able to store the scooter onboard you would need to find out from the cruise line.

A foldable wheelchair with a separate motor might be the easier thing to use, a relative of mine uses that to get around.

There is one ship that sails the Rhine dedicated to river cruising for the disabled, but as far as I know they only operate on the German market, i.e. to German speaking passengers.

If you are happy with accepting the challenges and be onboard when people are on excursion or just want to go off on your own in towns you could still have a lovely time.

I hope you find the solution that is right for you.

notamermaid

Even a TA may not know the specifics for a particular cruise line on a particular ship on a particular route. You need to contact the company directly and get info in writing. With rafting there is a good chance that you will not be able to get off or on the ship. Ships are not staffed for your situation and say in their "Terms and Conditions" that the passenger is responsible for their own mobility. There was a post not too long ago from a cruiser who spent a lot of money and then her husband couldn't participate in many tours. It is the river conditions that cause the ships to be designed the way they are and water levels that cause steep ramps.

A river cruise might end up being a very expensive disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The elevator might not be big enough for a scooter. Even the hallways aren't that wide. If it uses a rechargeable battery that might also be an issue.

Not to mention that storage could be problematic. Cabins on river cruises are frequently much smaller than those on ocean cruises. I know on the 4 Uniworld ships that we have been on, a scooter would never fit in the standard cabin.

• 4 weeks later...

crazyboutcruzin, I realize my response is likely too late and you have probably figured out your situation by now. However, just in case it might help someone else I wanted to mention an article I ran across several days ago. The article is titled "A Guide to Accessible River Cruising" by By Jeannine Williamson, Cruise Critic contributor (www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?=1959). It mentions (well into the article) that AMA Waterways allows collapsible scooters on their ships and has handicapped accessible cabins. There is info. on other lines and their facilities and accommodations for those with mobility issues, as well as things to think about with regard to shore excursions and so on.

Hope this helps you or someone else and good luck with your plans!

Talk to Scenic, 2 years ago we cruised the Soane and Rhone with them and one of our fellow passengers used a mobility scooter, we were all amazed how and where he managed to reach. The scooter was stored and plugged in at reception each day. The crew were outstanding and unstinting with their help even to drying it off when we were caught in an absolute deluge on one day.

I hope you find a cruise and enjoy yourselves, you'll be hooked. CA

crazyboutcruzin, I realize my response is likely too late and you have probably figured out your situation by now. However, just in case it might help someone else I wanted to mention an article I ran across several days ago. The article is titled "A Guide to Accessible River Cruising" by By Jeannine Williamson, Cruise Critic contributor (www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?=1959). It mentions (well into the article) that AMA Waterways allows collapsible scooters on their ships and has handicapped accessible cabins. There is info. on other lines and their facilities and accommodations for those with mobility issues, as well as things to think about with regard to shore excursions and so on.

Hope this helps you or someone else and good luck with your plans!

That page no longer exists!!! :evilsmile:

We did a Tauck Rhine River cruise a year ago:

Rafting is a major issue, we needed to climb a steep set of narrow steps up to the boat alongside ours, cross over a narrow bridge between boats and then go down another narrow steep outside set of stairs to the main deck of our boat,

None of the river boats have elevators that go up to the sundeck meaning if rafting requires the use of the sundeck you are stuck. You never know where rafting will happen. In our case we left the boat at one docking location (and had to walk .5 miles to where the buses were located. We returned to the boat, after an excursion to Heidelberg, to find our boat rafted on the outside of another boat!

Good luck with you're planning, but mobility and river cruises in Europe are a significant issue.

Don't let anyone deter you. We are doing a tauck river cruise in June. It just takes some planning

Planning is one thing, reality is another.

Based on your post, I assume this is your first river cruise. Docking is generally controlled by the Port Captain and not by the cruise line. Until one has experienced being the third boat out and the only way ashore (or worse, back onboard) is via uneven sundecks, I think that one should refrain from giving advice (unless it is to bring two strong people who can carry you).

Don't let anyone deter you. We are doing a tauck river cruise in June. It just takes some planning

Good planning involves figuring how to get up/down from the sun deck of every boat you might raft with.

Please let the Forum know how it goes for you. The "Terms and Conditions" for the two companies I have booked with are very specific about passengers being able to get around on their own.

40 pounds. Easy to manage.

I am amazed at those who have no mobility issues love to discourage. I have only had this issue for less than two years after nearly dying. May it never happen to you but if it does I hope you have a more positive attitude

Or you can just stay home

Think I will sign off from this thread

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rafting would be a problem, once I had to go up on deck crossover, then down and through another boat. Just pulling a carry on up the ramp from the dock is not easy and I get around if no problems. This is coming from someone who has helped a friend with a walker (not on a river cruise).

...I am amazed at those who have no mobility issues love to discourage. I have only had this issue for less than two years after nearly dying. May it never happen to you but if it does I hope you have a more positive attitude Or you can just stay home

Think I will sign off from this thread

I am 71 this month and not as mobile as I used to be. I am not trying to crap on your parade, but I am trying to give realistic advice. As long as you can handle it go for it. BUT if you don't want to listen to advice from people who have been there "Think I will sign off from this thread" that is your peragative.

Note that Tauck under General Information explicitly says "no motorized scooters".

Edited by TravelerThom

I did not ask for advice. I made an encouraging comment to counter your negativity

Most people are negative about disabilities except on the disabled forum.

I

Tauck has no issue with the scooter. Already approved

Sayonara

Somebody came on these forums in the last couple of months who had mobility issues and ranted against the cruise company because they weren't really able to do any of the excursions and had to hang around the ship all day, not having a good time at all.

Overcoming obstacles has to be tempered with reality.