What to do in Tortola, British Island

Peñarol

My husband and I were in Tortola for the first time last month and really enjoyed it. I usually like to have an excursion set up in advance but had read here on CC that you could just get off the ship and walk past all the shops at the port and there you would find open air taxis that seat about 15 - 20 that will take you on different tours depending on what you were looking for. So that's what we did and it was really just that easy. There were several people in blue shirts there to direct you to a taxi based on your interest. We chose a 2 hour tour ($20pp) that took us to Cane Garden Bay with a short stop there which was just long enough to use the restrooms, grab a rum punch and stick our feet in the water. Along the way our driver,Keith, made several stops for photos and gave us a lot of very interesting information about Tortola as well as some of the neighboring islands. Keith was an excellent guide/driver, in fact one of the best we had on this cruise. Next time we would probably do the same but take the 3 hour tour ($30pp) that includes an hour at the beach or possibly just go straight to the beach, rent an umbrella and a couple of chairs and hang out for a few hours. Definitely an island we would like to go back to again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My memory is that you can go to a shopping and restaurant area near the dock that is walkable.

Yes, there are restaurants/bars right on the waterfront. It's a beautiful harbor. You can enjoy a meal or drink and watch the yachts coming and going.

If you haven't been to Virgin Gorde/The Baths at least once in your life, you must go. It's heaven on earth!

You should find more information under the Ports section of this forum.

You do not need to do an expensive ship excursion.

If you suffer from claustrophobia, don't bother trying to go to The Baths. I do, but thought it wasn't going to be too bad based on what I read here on CC. So wrong! Lined up to enter the crevice among the boulders and about went into an anxiety attack how tiny that space was. I quickly got out of that line and walked back up to the top to wait for the taxi back. I have no idea if it is as beautiful as they say, and will likely never know as I won't bring myself to go back. Instead, next year my husband and I will be doing the zip lining.

In my opinion, nothing. I've been on 50+ cruises and hundreds of ports and Tortola rates near the bottom of the list. It's almost like Nassau, hardly worth getting off the ship.

Obviously you have never been sailing in the BVI which is by far the best in the Caribbean. SMH

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

This may sound silly, but we got off the boat, did a little window shopping, and then had an amazing time at the bar literally right next to the ship. We had a nice fish plate with johnny cakes and some presidente. Super low key, and a really nice time.

There is supposed to be a beautiful botanic garden (I wonder if that's the same as the Cane Garden that other posters are referring to). It's supposedly walkable, but if we had gone, we would have had to take a cab.

Thanks, looks great.

https://www.google.com/search?q=botanic+gardens+road+town+tortola&oq=botanical+garden+roadtown+tort&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.29155j0j4&client=tablet-android-lenovo&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=lie

In my opinion, nothing. I've been on 50+ cruises and hundreds of ports and Tortola rates near the bottom of the list. It's almost like Nassau, hardly worth getting off the ship.

It's near the bottom of mine, just above Routan, which is horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The BVI is world renowned for sailing. Typically there is always wind and the waters are relatively calm because of all the islands, and the swimming/snorkeling is great. Do a small group charter off the ship, you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

My wife and I with another couple did it twice for 10 days, bare boating with a Cal39 in 1987 and again in 1994 with a Whitby 42 and there isn't a better sailing ground in the Caribbean than the BVI. No other people to contend with, anchoring in the lee of any island, going overboard for a swim or snorkel, etc. All that before the cruise ship crowd discovered the islands since there were no docks in Roadtown. But it takes an experienced sailor to handle the boats and our women who have to cook at least three meals day. (grin). Also next bay over at Jost van Dyke was/is Foxy's, wildly popular with sailors. what happened, is foxy still alive, my business card is still stapled at the ceiling there.

Edited by ottmar
additions

I haven't been since 2010 and it was one of favorite stops! We rented a car for the day and went to Smugglers Cove, I think. Beautiful, wish we had stayed all day but we went to another beach, Brewer's Bay, it was past Cane Garden. There were some bars there and it had a very "green" lagoon feel. Very different than other Caribbean beaches.

White bay on Jost Van Dyke could be the nicest beach we have ever been to. We have gone 3 times. So laid back, a true beach bum kind of day.
Agreed, 100%! We went last year when we were on the Escape and we are going again on our upcoming trip on the Escape.