Cheers on Alaska cruise

ilovelbibeachnj

• 4 weeks later...

Alaska is one of only a handful of states that have no sales tax statewide. There are however some individual municipalities that have it. So, there might be a port stop that you would have sales tax involved, but I am not familiar with the individual areas that have it. I'm sure a Google search would provide that city list for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I would love to know the answer to the question too! We are on the Legend early June 2017 and plan on getting Cheers.

Just to remember, the tax has nothing to do with the cheers program. You are taxed on drinks ordered whether you are on cheers or purchase them individually.

Icy Strait Point(Hoonah): 6.5%

Juneau: 5%

Ketchikan: 6%

Sitka: 5%

Skagway: 5%(April through September)

To be clear, though, only when docked. Purchases while the ship is going from port to port would be tax free yes?

To be clear, though, only when docked. Purchases while the ship is going from port to port would be tax free yes?

I don't know. I have only been to Alaska on a land vacation via the ferry. I am going on a cruise to Alaska in May.

Yes, that is my question too. :)

I know on Caribbean cruises we are out on international waters and we are not charged taxes while at sea. However, I have read that the first half of the cruise we take the "inside passage" skirting the coast of Alaska so I am wondering if that means we are still charged tax since all of the ports we are visiting are the ones that do have sales tax.

Yes, that is my question too. :)

I know on Caribbean cruises we are out on international waters and we are not charged taxes while at sea. However, I have read that the first half of the cruise we take the "inside passage" skirting the coast of Alaska so I am wondering if that means we are still charged tax since all of the ports we are visiting are the ones that do have sales tax.

However, the first portion of the "inside passage" (going north) is in Canadian waters:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4635536,-127.9620015,7z

So I would get my coffee at the coffee bar in the main buffet room every morning. I always had it with kalua or the Caribbean coffee variety (tequila I think). They take your card like normal and you sign the receipt however 4 days in a row it did not count toward my 15. I imagine this was because of the barista incorrectly coding the beverage but who knows. Anyway it was a great way to start the day.