Kids Menu

MomofTheBoy

Yes its just The Boy and I. He is a big snacker so im prepared for that. Our firstbcruuse he had justbturned 4. We ate in the MDR but he was able to get fruit and fried chicken and rice. He HATED the kids club. This time he turns 7 on the boat but his palate has gotten pickier. Textures, snells, and feels just sends him over.

When did kids get like this? When I was a kid my mom cooked and you ate. Thats it, thats all LOL

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

You are creating this situation by giving in to his whims. Do what your mother did. Parents seem to have forgotten who runs the household. But I'm meddling...

When did kids get like this? When I was a kid my mom cooked and you ate. Thats it, thats all LOL

Sent from my SM

I don't know!!! I will tell you though that I tried to adopt the same mentality that my parents had. "You eat what I make or you just don't eat". I will tell you that this is when I discovered Pediasure and Ensure/Boost. My son is a stinker. I am not kidding you when I tell you that he will go on a hunger strike if you don't give him the few foods that he likes. I even did what my parents did to me and told him "you will sit at that table for as long as it takes you to eat that chicken" (its not like I was trying to force him to eat Brussels sprouts or anything....although I do love brussels sprouts). Little man sat there for at least 4 hours before I realized that it was pointless and this tactic was going nowhere....lol.

You are creating this situation by giving in to his whims. Do what your mother did. Parents seem to have forgotten who runs the household. But I'm meddling...

I completely disagree with this. But every parent is different, so to each their own. I, personally, do not think that you are meddling as this is a public forum :). I just think that every kid and family are different and what works for some may not work for others. And people are always gonna have their own ideas as to what is "best". No worries.

I'm not giving in to his whims most things I can get him to eat (allergy items excluded of course) however eating should be good and tasty and enjoyable not feel like punishment.

I remember sitting at the table for hours upon hours as my mother forced me to eat beans. To this day I do NOT eat any kind of bean, not even string. My son has thrown up eating foods that texturally do not agree with him.

I tried it my moms way and it was torture for both of us. Im not a fan of torture lol

When your kid wants pizza each and every Friday, trust me the thrill is totally gone LOL

We are from Chicago so this is definitely a pizza city.

My son is an only child so he is going to Camp Ocean at least twice. Hopefully he enjoys and many new friends to play on the waterslides with.

Sent from my SM

Yummm! The original Pizzaria Unos in Chicago is my fav! Don't tell my east coast friends/family that though :evilsmile:. I seriously could eat pizza at least twice per week for dinner, no kidding. Since my kids won't eat it, I go for pizza for lunch with coworkers at least that often.

If your son likes Camp Ocean then I am sure he will go at least twice. On NCL I had to MAKE my son leave the ship with us for ports! He went every day for a bit and if it were up to him, he would have stayed ALL day! He would cry when I told him that I wanted him to come with us for a family day off of the ship. My older daughter also would probably prefer to stay on the ship in the club but she is old enough to understand that its not gonna happen so she doesn't even ask. Spoiled kids live at the beach and go to St Maarten for a few weeks each winter so they are not tempted by beaches lol. In addition to working hard to feed my kids on a cruise I also have to plan excursions in port that are not too "beachy". Ugh

Oh he is going to Camp Ocean for at least an hour on sea days whether he likes it or not. Its just he and I and I love him with all my breaths and all of yours too, BUT I am gonna need a bit of time to just sit and lay and close my eyes in the sun with a cold adult beverage!

All port excursions have to include water time as my kid swears he can swim better than Olympians (he can't). I like doing tons of other stuff. We really have two different vacation ideas lol.

Chicago pizza is deeelish! Just hate it every week

Ummmm, I'm guessing that this is in response to my post? If not I'm sorry! I guarantee you that my plan is the best plan for HIM. Now I would never have done this for my daughter and it's not the best plan for many kids....but for mine, it's the best choice. We do restaurants 3 nights per week and home dinners 4 nights (and rarely go to the chain restaurants that serve nothing but junk, unadventurous food). I also tried to expand both of my childrens' palettes as babies by never giving them store bought baby food (I always puréed the meals that we were eating and fed them that). This worked for my oldest as she now loves things such as escargot, sashimi, ceviche, lamb, veggies, etc (just need to be prepared the way she likes them). But my son, on the other hand, still is extremely picky and would literally not eat a thing if he didn't like it (yes I bring Ensure cans when on vacation for him). I have been vigilantly looking at the menus for our upcoming cruise and I can guarantee you that he will not eat in the MDR no matter what I do. You say take him to the lido deck "AFTER" the MDR. I am single traveling with my 2 kids....my son is Only 4 (you want me to take him to the MDR for an hour or more of waiting through a meal where I know he won't eat anything there?).....he does not do well sitting and waiting in restaurants so he will be disturbing other guests....he loves kids camps and would prefer to eat quickly and go do something that he considers to be fun....you suggest that I feed him "after the MDR"? As I said earlier, that is the plan for my 11 year old if she needs more food but there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm gonna make my little 4 year old wait that long to eat every night. We have family dinners together all throughout the year at home or at restaurants....what exactly is wrong with feeding him at Lido first so that he can eat what he wants and the rest of the PAX and my daughter and I can have some peace while eating at the MDR?

Actually, that statement was made in response to someone (Mom of the Boy) who posted

"Thought we were gonna have to eat most of our meals on lido."

I just meant that I wouldn't want to miss the MDR experience MYSELF in order to accommodate a picky eater. Feeding him something else before dinner would work just as well. Lighten up. You're going on a cruise!

My husband's son is also an extremely picky eater. We had made some headway a few years back, but I think now he's pickier than ever! The kid doesn't eat a single fruit or vegetable. And he's pretty much on what we call "The Beige Diet" cause everything he eats is beige - PB sandwiches, chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, soft pretzels, etc.

When we took my husband's son and daughter on a 4 day cruise three years ago, we did it with the caveat that they each had to try one new food at each meal (and dessert doesn't count ;p). And we stuck to it. We didn't make them finish the item if they truly didn't like it. But they had to show a good faith effort. And lo-and-behold, my stepson found out he liked BBQ Ribs, Fried Chicken and a few other things as well.

As a reformed picky eater myself, I can honestly say that I really started expanding my culinary horizons when I started cruising. Having so many options available for free took the pressure off. If I didn't like something, I could get something else. I've eaten things I would have never imagined - escargot, frog legs, sushi (now it's one of my faves), different kinds of fish, cold soups, etc. The dining is one of my favorite parts of cruising. I can't wait to share it with my almost three year old on our fall Vista cruise. We plan on doing dinner in the main DR each night (late seating even - we'll bring the ipad for reinforcements if needed). And I anticipate my daughter will have plenty of options to choose from on either menu! Can't wait!

I'm not giving in to his whims most things I can get him to eat (allergy items excluded of course) however eating should be good and tasty and enjoyable not feel like punishment.

I remember sitting at the table for hours upon hours as my mother forced me to eat beans. To this day I do NOT eat any kind of bean, not even string. My son has thrown up eating foods that texturally do not agree with him.

I tried it my moms way and it was torture for both of us. Im not a fan of torture lol

I'm also not a fan of torture. I bet that he'll outgrow his pickiness but there will always be things that he will never like (just like the rest of us and like you and your beans :p). I imagine that he get proper nutrition elsewhere. As long as we continue to expose them to different foods so they they learn what else is out there, they'll be ok

My husband's son is also an extremely picky eater. We had made some headway a few years back, but I think now he's pickier than ever! The kid doesn't eat a single fruit or vegetable. And he's pretty much on what we call "The Beige Diet" cause everything he eats is beige - PB sandwiches, chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, soft pretzels, etc.

When we took my husband's son and daughter on a 4 day cruise three years ago, we did it with the caveat that they each had to try one new food at each meal (and dessert doesn't count ;p). And we stuck to it. We didn't make them finish the item if they truly didn't like it. But they had to show a good faith effort. And lo-and-behold, my stepson found out he liked BBQ Ribs, Fried Chicken and a few other things as well.

As a reformed picky eater myself, I can honestly say that I really started expanding my culinary horizons when I started cruising. Having so many options available for free took the pressure off. If I didn't like something, I could get something else. I've eaten things I would have never imagined - escargot, frog legs, sushi (now it's one of my faves), different kinds of fish, cold soups, etc. The dining is one of my favorite parts of cruising. I can't wait to share it with my almost three year old on our fall Vista cruise. We plan on doing dinner in the main DR each night (late seating even - we'll bring the ipad for reinforcements if needed). And I anticipate my daughter will have plenty of options to choose from on either menu! Can't wait!

LOL @ "the beige diet"

Well I sort of stand corrected and sort of not. You are reformed but your stepson became worse. Hmmmm.... Well your post still gives me hope. Thanks! I do the same thing with my DD on a cruise. She must try something that she would not normally eat each day. This is how she learned that she loves lamb chops and we now have them at home about once per month. Of course the only kind that she likes is the Australian rib chops ("lamb lollipops") which are not cheap. She has champagne taste on a beer budget! lol.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Actually, that statement was made in response to someone (Mom of the Boy) who posted

"Thought we were gonna have to eat most of our meals on lido."

I just meant that I wouldn't want to miss the MDR experience MYSELF in order to accommodate a picky eater. Feeding him something else before dinner would work just as well. Lighten up. You're going on a cruise!

^^^ This makes perfect sense and I agree! As I said in my earlier post, if you were not referring to my post then I was sorry. But you may want to go back and look at your post because that is not really what you said, whether it was directed at me or not. As far as "lightening up". Nope, no need for that. I take my kids on a trip, whether a cruise or land vacay every couple of months. Over the years I have learned that planning and preparation is a necessity when traveling alone with kids. If you're referring to my post where I stated my reasons for the way that I plan meals for my family, then I won't "lighten up" as this is what works for my family. Thanks for that suggestion though

"Asfor eating in the Lido instead of the MDR because you’re afraid a kid might not like anything on the menu? Forget that! Worst case, take him there or get him pizza or room service AFTER dinner if he really can’t find anything to eat onthe menu."

Oh he is going to Camp Ocean for at least an hour on sea days whether he likes it or not. Its just he and I and I love him with all my breaths and all of yours too, BUT I am gonna need a bit of time to just sit and lay and close my eyes in the sun with a cold adult beverage!

All port excursions have to include water time as my kid swears he can swim better than Olympians (he can't). I like doing tons of other stuff. We really have two different vacation ideas lol.

Chicago pizza is deeelish! Just hate it every week

:confused:

Awww, I get it! We all need some alone "mama time"! I sincerely hope you get some on your trip! As I said earlier, every parent is different and who really knows what is "best" so I don't know where you stand and would not judge. But for me, vacations are mostly about the kiddos. So we do land tours mostly (DD loves museums, history etc) with a bit of snorkeling thrown in, as I always search for land tours that include a beach stop at a beach with good snorkeling. I'd rather research the area beforehand and learn the history, do a quick land tour and meet some people who live there and spend most of the time at the beach....but as usual, she wins. Far be it for me to deny my kid educational opportunities and cultural exposure. But, like you, 2 different vacation ideas (at least for cruises anyway....I completely share DD's sentiments for land vacays).

PS: send me your leftover authentic Chicago pizza....I promise it won't go to waste ;p

Edited by Thrilled2012

As I said in my earlier post, if you were not referring to my post then I was sorry. But you may want to go back and look at your post because that is not at all what you said, whether it was directed at me or not. As far as "lightening up". Nope, no need for that. I take my kids on a trip, whether a cruise or land vacay every couple of months. Over the years I have learned that planning and preparation is a necessity when traveling alone with kids. If you're referring to my post where I stated my reasons for the way that I plan meals for my family, then I won't "lighten up" as this is what works for my family. Thanks for that suggestion though

Wow. You sure put me in my place. Enjoy your cruise.

Also due to sensory issues, the only meat my son will eat is bacon. What are the odds of getting him a plate of bacon in the MDR each night?

Order it the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums