Before you book NCL Jewel - - - Some thoughts

mortega

Hi Again - OP here. Calm down everyone. Did I come across as a hater to tatoos. I am not, just noticing that most people had them. I take it back! Whew now that is cleared up. I dress casual for work, so I am looking for opportunities to dress up. I look in my closet and think why do I have dresses and heels. I totally get if you dress up for work and want to be casual.

I am really not sure why people are relieved I am not on their cruise....I was just stating the vibe and feel. I hung out at the pool for hours and had a great time. I just wanted to post about what people can expect. I mentioned I had a good time....So I am pretty sure the people judging me are harsher than I am.

Also I think have the cruise was from Canada. I am chatty and one met two people from Southern California. If not from Canada from other states.

(I just tried posting but it didn't update so this might be duplicate later. )

Hi Again - OP here. Calm down everyone. Did I come across as a hater to tatoos. I am not, just noticing that most people had them. I take it back! Whew now that is cleared up. I dress casual for work, so I am looking for opportunities to dress up. I look in my closet and think why do I have dresses and heels. I totally get if you dress up for work and want to be casual.

I am really not sure why people are relieved I am not on their cruise....I was just stating the vibe and feel. I hung out at the pool for hours and had a great time. I just wanted to post about what people can expect. I mentioned I had a good time....So I am pretty sure the people judging me are harsher than I am.

Also I think have the cruise was from Canada. I am chatty and one met two people from Southern California. If not from Canada from other states.

(I just tried posting but it didn't update so this might be duplicate later. )

If you want to dress up dress up. That's one of the great things about NCL. My DW brings dresses and has me wear collared shirts and nice pants when we eat dinner/supper whatever you want to call it. Day time tee shirts or tank tops and shorts for me sorry no tats :lol

I'm trying to figure out how someone else's tattoos affect the OP? Last time I checked my tattoos have no effect on other people. I must be missing something. Don't want one, don't get one. Of all the 3 cruises I have been on, they are all about the same. Same kind of people, same kind of stuff on board. They all nickel and dime unless you pay top $$$ for one of those all inclusive cruises that have like 100 people on board. Yeah no thanks. I am not going on vacation where I have to worry about if my make up in on point or my formal ball gown is pressed. Nope, give me relaxed and happy instead of full out dressed up and uptight. OP, there are other cruise lines out there and I really hope you find the one you love. If all your points are indeed true, stay away from RCCL and CCL. They're just like NCL. I love them too.

I disagree. Experience can be affected by surrounding pax. It is like different neighborhoods/schools etc.

Right mix can be achieved by avoiding short and very cheap cruises.

The only cruise we really experienced what OP has described was with Carnival - 6 days during Thanksgiving out of Florida. Cheap rates. Number of people with tattoos and others with golden chains was unusual. While we are not cruising with Carnival anymore for this and other reasons we haven't experienced anything like this with NCL (except for too many kids). Jewel out of NYC to Bahamas was one of nicer cruises.

We sailed the Mexican Riviera itinerary over Christmas week on the Jewel (a group of 12...aged 10 to 70+). EVERYONE had a great time, in their own way. It was a holiday, so yes, there was lots of drinking around the pool. For goodness sake, it was the middle of winter, we were coming from New Mexico where our highs were around 40 at the time, and the opportunity to drink a tropical drink (or two or three) in bathing shorts was just too good to pass up. (I don't have tattoos, however...so I felt underdressed). There were plenty of other people doing more placid activities too. Families enjoying the game room (always popular), shopping, sitting in the lobby enjoying coffee and live music. Etc. etc. It was a family-oriented, sometimes noisy cruise...but we had a fabulous time.

My wife and I had cruised on the Explorer of the Seas in late September, on a Pacific Northwest cruise. We are in our early '50s, and may have been among the youngest on the ship. Cool weather. Few kids. It was a laid-back (to the extreme) crowd, with nighttime events VERY poorly attended for the most part. But we had a very different brand of good time.

TIme of year and destination probably have more to do with one's experience that even the cruise line. A Mexican Riviera cruise during winter/spring is simply going to have more people looking to warm up and booze it up than an early-fall, cold weather tour of the northwest. We've done 5 cruises now (not making us experts, but certainly experienced) and we've enjoyed every one, often for very different reasons. Plan accordingly, set expectations accordingly...and you should have a blast. For the most part, the behavior of others either goes unnoticed by us...or can serve as a form of free entertainment. Kids having a great time travelling does my heart good. Older folks acting like kids does my heart good. Overindulging in drink for a couple of holiday days may not do my heart good...but it's sure good for this over-worked, over-stressed guy.

OP, you post a lengthy list of things about NCL and would like it: most everything you have posted is very negative: you are one of, if not the only one who voiced such a dislike for the kids camp and you did, indeed indicate NCL is below your standards. You claim most everyone was from Canada and you only met 2 people from So. Ca. That might be true, but both the Mex Riv cruises we have taken on NCL and the one on the Princess were filled with people from CA, AZ and Or. I can't understand why you mostly only met Canadians. I guess it was just the time. We are sailing on the Breakaway next Sun and already know a large number of cruisers are from the NY, and mid Atlantic region. The same when we have cruised out of Texas; the majority of the cruisers are from Texas, Ok and surrounding states.

Last thing i have to say: how could you possibly post so many negative comments and still expect us to believe you had a great time? : As you have said NCL isn't for you, but that certainly doesn't mean it is an inferior line as you would have others believe. :evilsmile::rolleyes:

I am totally confused about how my observations are construed as mainly negative. It isn't below my standard, it was different than I expected. Like when you are craving a banana split sundae and get a slice of apple pie.

We have been on 20 plus NCL cruises and never saw anyone get sick unless it was a rough sea. Of course we do not stay up late and hang out near the bars. We usually hit the bed about 11pm.

We don't see THEM, we see the vomit they left. It is usually late and we have alerted a crew member if one wasn't standing by waiting for the clean up crew. It's pretty common for people who are over-indulging to vomit.

I should take a poll and see if people see this on other lines. We never have on Disney or Princess. Now watch, our first X cruise will be marred by dozens of black-out drunks vomiting all over the place (they give away a drink package as well).

I think this is a good example of why one should do their research prior to cruising. We spent significant time researching cruise lines and it was fairly easy to determine which cruise line suited our needs. As others have already stated, there are times when there will be more kids on board, and times when there are more seniors on board (i.e. longer cruises). At the end of the day we are all just trying to get away from it all and enjoy ourselves. I hope you find the right cruise that suits your needs and meets your expectations.

P.S. I've sailed Carnival, NCL, Celebrity and am sailing Seabourn this summer for the first time. Both DH and I have tattoos. No offense taken here... throwing comments out there with an implied judgment is bound to catch you some flak. Peace.

Dear OP, based on your comments, be sure to never cruise on Carnival, sounds like you just might go postal before the ship leaves port on the first day! :)

We've sailed the Jewel to Alaska last July and will be sailing the Jewel again to the MX Riviera. The Jewel is a great ship, not too small, and doesn't have endless corridors like in those mega ships. We've sailed the MXR before and realize a lot of So Cal families are on this itinerary but, we're not there to focus on other people, we're there to relax, enjoy being on vacation, while the coworkers are toiling at their desks! :)

Princess, yes there's a different vibe there. We noticed they cater to the empty nesters as they have formal nights and more conservative entertainment. Formal nights, we ate at the buffet. Older folks, they're not party people, neither are we! "Ghetto" folks as OP mentioned, yeah they were there too, as were the tattoos, and the kids. But overall, we actually loved Princess, and would sail them again!

Bottom line, don't worry about what other people may or may not be doing, you're on vacation! Relax and make memories with the family, that's what matters most.

Anyone else read this as . . . .

I was really hoping to get an exclusive, elegant cruise experience for half the price and I'm disappointed that I booked and paid for a vacation that's accessible and enjoyed by the common folk.

I'm really sorry that other cruise passengers didn't dress up fancy and elegant enough for your viewing pleasure. If it's any comfort, those of us who spend our vacations lounging by the pool, drinking too much and barely parenting get a kick out of watching the uptight types try to find just the right deck chair.

I am totally confused about how my observations are construed as mainly negative. It isn't below my standard, it was different than I expected. Like when you are craving a banana split sundae and get a slice of apple pie.

Cruises can be different than expected. I recently had this happen and it didn't ruin my cruise. It's easy to avoid what does not please you. Sometimes you meet people that ordinarily you would not get the chance. Try a little conversation and you might be pleasantly surprised. I found myself making friends with a lady that usually I would not encounter. She laughed and said "Oh I know your kind!" and quickly ticked off the things we did not have in common including politics. But we did find there were lots of things we did have in common. I quickly knew where she was from in Boston and she quickly replied that Brookline was my address.

I love going to the pool and sometimes there will be quite a "show" and if it's not for me then I'll head to my balcony. When you cruise bring your good attitude, be optimistic, be polite and friendly and you'll have a great time.

And I love the Jewel class ships.

I don't stay up late either and I have witness the "evidence" near a wall mounted trash can with the opening on the side. I was trying to figure out if the vomiter was trying to hit the can on an angle but was grateful it wasn't done in the elevator. This was on the Epic on NCL either the person had imbibed too much or was seasick. It had been there for awhile, obviously the person didn't notify housekeeping.....I did though. YUK! I know generally this doesn't happen, but I may have inadvertently booked a chartered Puker cruise. : ) Pun intended, one of the other complaints about cruising.

We have been on 20 plus NCL cruises and never saw anyone get sick unless it was a rough sea. Of course we do not stay up late and hang out near the bars. We usually hit the bed about 11pm.

To have tattoos and to have a majority of body covered in tattoos is two different things.

Same thing as having a pair of earnings and a nice smaller golden chain vs having extensive body piercings and huge vulgar chains.

• 2 weeks later...
Just remember, unless you are Oprah, Warren Buffet, Mark Cuban or the like... there is always someone looking down at YOU perhaps. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Is there a dress code for the specialty restaurants?
For the aft dining room and Le Bistro:

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes

All others are:

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

I, for one, am glad that you don't like NCL because I shutter at the thought of even over-hearing you on board. You did, however, make it clear that you are a smug, judgmental person. I'm surprised that Princess even works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This post is very accurate as I experienced the same thing on NCL Jewel

Hi Everyone,

We just got back from he 7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise on he Jewell. It was a little different than I expected. So here are some things you might want to consider.

1. If you have lots of tattoos ..... you might like NCL

2. If you want to sit around and drink all day long at the pool with ....you might like NCL.

3. If you don't care about great food....you might like NCL. (To be fair the buffets had some good food, but for fancy dinners the food is awful.)

4. If you are in Risk Management and seeing kids running amok in he pool area and spa with parents lounging with drinks...you might hate NCL.

5. If you like an all inclusive ... you might hate NCL...unless you pre buy all sorts of plans.

6. If you hate being nickle and dimed, you will hate NCL.

7. If you are looking for a really laid back relaxed non pretentious time...you might like NCL.

8. The Jewell is small for a cruise ship...but really big enough.

9. The water slide is for kids. Slow, but I loved that as my kids are afraid of fast ones.

10. You don't mind your kids.....mine hated the kids program Splash academy...so they hung out with us for most of the cruise (8 and 10.)

11. If you like music.....you might like NCL. At least on Jewell there was a lot of music - ironically not Salsa or flamenco in Mexico but what ever...It was nice. Not in morning, but started afternoon and all night.

12. If you are not too uptight about cabin.......you might love NCL. (Our cabin was not always cleaned up well, only received towel animals half the time, bunk bed was not pulled down most of the time...same with my mom in other cabin.)

13. If you love to dance at night....and DONT get seasick... you might like the NCL. The main dance floor is on 13th floor in he very front...so if you are prone to sea sickness is awful.

14. Kids are okay everywhere! That is generally a good thing. Most kids where well behaved. I liked being able to bring them most places. I was bummed so many events thought were 13 and up for adult content. - So lastly. I thought there was way too much sexual innuendo - even in he kid friendly comedy shows and acts. Seriously...???

15. If you never want to dress up and want to wear shorts and t-shirts the whole time ...you found your cruise line! (Although there is opportunity to dress up if you want.)

I discovered I am more of a Princess sort of girl. I fully admit I can be sort of uptight. However, I had a great time. The first two days I was like get me off, but then I settled in. The ship was so dated! The people were .... well too casual lets say for me... It is sort of a what happens on the Jewell stays on the Jewell. There were surely really elegant couples who were super "classy", but you only saw them slow dancing piano or jazz music. I never saw them in he buffet! There are several paid for restaurants which is probably where "those types" ate. But there were all types of people. Classy to ghetto - thought mostly somewhere in between. I won't say I would never take NCL again, I might. But next time I want to try another line.

P.S. I am 40 and from Southern California, married, with 2 kids.