question about name card on mailbox/door

vmom

I have an odd question.

If I go down to passenger services, would they print out a name card for me with a male name?

I know it seems odd, but I am traveling solo and don't want to advertise that I am alone so I will either pull my name card out or I wonder if the passenger services would print me out a new card with a male name on it so it will look like there are two people in the cabin.

I may be paranoid, but better paranoid and safe.

I have an odd question.

If I go down to passenger services, would they print out a name card for me with a male name?

I know it seems odd, but I am traveling solo and don't want to advertise that I am alone so I will either pull my name card out or I wonder if the passenger services would print me out a new card with a male name on it so it will look like there are two people in the cabin.

When I cruise Princess solo, I always remove the name tag...and when I cruise with others, I remove the name tag....it's no one's business who is in my cabin, what my Captain's Circle status may be, etc.. Just take it out.. Problem solved...

I have an odd question.

No they won't print fake names.

Just take it out.

I have an odd question.

Just when I thought I had read it all on CC! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who are these passengers who sneak out of their cabins in the middle of the night to go prowl thru the darkened alleyways of cruiseships reading the passengers name cards and checking if they are solo female cruisers? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Hokkaidocruiser

Who are these passengers who sneak out of their cabins in the middle of the night to go prowl thru the darkened alleyways of cruiseships reading the passengers name cards and checking if they are solo female cruisers? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with wanting to feel safe. There ARE unsavory types on cruise ships, as there are elsewhere, even possibly on this very board. There is nothing paranoid about it. I give you alot of credit for cruising on your own.

Edited by stoneharborlady

I worked in the security field for a number of years. You are not being paranoid. I think cruise ships are very safe, but as a previous poster mentioned there are shady characters even on cruise ships. Plus, if it gives you peace of mind - why not?

There is also another option-

If you have an old name card- create your own with the way you want your name- then swap it out when you get on the ship.

Or- create a label with the name that you prefer- and just stick it on the name card.

I also travel solo- and in spite of having a somewhat feminine name- when I use my designation (Dr.)- people often state- "Oh! I thought you were a man." I always find that weird AND sexist.

My name is Tracie-Lynn. In all of my travels, I have yet to meet a male who has this name with a hyphen. :rolleyes:

Edited by TracieABD

I have an odd question.

You are right very odd.

FWIW - for me, it was a crew member who came knocking on my door. Followed me up to the deck I was on then went down the doors looking for a solo female in that section - and came knocking on my door late at night. I did not open it, obviously and called security - and told him through the door that I had done so. They came right up, I described the crew member and what he was wearing (he was a dancer - they knew exactly who he was) and hauled his butt in. He was put off the ship at rhe next port. Apparently not the first time he had stalked a female passenger....

After that, no more names on my door whether I'm traveling solo or with my husband or others... I find it incredible in this fay and age that Princess still does it at all.... In the meantime, I take ours/mine down ASAP. And have seen lots of blank spaces along the corridor as I'm walking to the stairs or elevator, so obviously others remove then for whatever reasons of their own. .

It's unfortunate that even on vacation on a cruise ship we have to be so diligent, but that's the way it is nowadays. .

Edited by reedprincess

It is NOT odd. I seem to have the amazing super power to attract the attention of at least 1 creep per cruise when I sail solo. yeah....I have some stories. I name them- A few are Fox boy, scooter man, 20 minute man, MBA man, 80 year old "virgin".

I did have one find my cabin and start trying to call me and knocking on my door. I had to get security involved because despite telling him to leave me alone and threatening to tell his wife, he kept doing it.

After that, if I sail solo, I remove the name card.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, you need to do what makes you feel safe. If you think you'll forget your cabin, put a decoration up :D

FWIW - for me, it was a crew member ... called security ... he was put off the ship at rhe next port. ... It's unfortunate that even on vacation on a cruise ship we have to be so diligent, but that's the way it is nowadays.

reedprincess, kudos to you for having the courage & foresight to be so diligent. An unfortunate reality in today's modern world, unfortunately, even on 'safe' cruise ships. Thanks for sharing your experience & advice.

Dogstar.

I have an odd question.

You can but ask.

If not just remove it and either leave nothing there or write one out by hand and put in.

Another option would be to get one with first initial - A. Smith

No they won't print fake names.

Just take it out.

I can see that they won't give you a fake name, but an initial, maybe. It's still just easier to take the thing out. Tell your steward so he doesn't go get another one to replace it.

It is NOT odd. I seem to have the amazing super power to attract the attention of at least 1 creep per cruise when I sail solo. yeah....I have some stories. I name them- A few are Fox boy, scooter man, 20 minute man, MBA man, 80 year old "virgin".

Can I ask how '20 minute man' got his name?

On our last cruise, our cabin was assigned around 3:00PM

the day before embarcation.

We did not get a name tag.

Part way through the cruise, some miscreant went down the hallway,

and tossed a bunch of name tags on the floor.

After that, we had a name tag, but it was for someone else.