Ashrod and Haifa- Cruise Ship Tours or any recommended companies

Dirk_Pitt

We are on the Oct 23rd sailing of the Celebrity Silhouette

We have been to Italy and Greece before and no what we want to do there

We picked this cruise for the 3 days in Isreal, 2 days in Ashrod and 1 day in Haifa

Many ports in Australia, New Zealand, British Isles we booked recommend tour operators. You get a better tour at a lower cost. Some times we takethe Cruise ship tours when the tour looks perfect and it saves the hassle

Any recommendations for Isreal?

Our points of interest in Israel covers full days in a tour. To be assured that the ship will be aware and concerned of our whereabouts, and wait for us in case of transportation or road problems, we opted for a ship shore excursion that we found reasonably priced. The security issues also at that time are known by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had four nights in Haifa and hired a private guide who did an excellent job:

http://travel-israel.info/cruises-excursions

This was very economical with four people, and we were able to tailor our itinerary to our preferences, unlike the ship's excursions.

I suggest you consider an overnight in the city of Jerusalem when the ship docks in Ashdod. This will save you a considerable amount of travel time, and you will be able to enjoy the city by night.

We used Guided Tours Israel in November off the Constellation and were very happy with them. The offered a two day tour from Ashdod and a one day from Haifa. Check out their website.

We had no concerns about safety and they were well aware of the ships sailing schedule.

Edited by bubbachief

Thanks for the replies. I sent an e-mail to Guided tours

here is the web address for others http://www.guidedtoursisrael.com/

Hi: Guidedtoursisrael did a wonderful job of handling my groups last November. Leo is the contact! He is very responsive to requests. He will have many options for tours from both ports. He will put you together with other people to fill a van and reduce the cost. His guides are wonderful.

Enjoy your stay in Israel

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Guided Tours Israel. On our Holyland Tour 4 years ago we had a very active roll call. I organized the Israel tours. We had 14 minibuses in total. GTI offers both Jewish and Christian oriented excursions. We had a mixture of both. They were extremely prompt in answering my e mails and we all had a great time.

Edited by Casey2

We appreciate the inputs

Have you decided and booked anything yet??

We are also on the Oct. 23 Silhouette (travelling with another couple) and I have been emailing with Leo to try to organize a customized 2-day semi-private tour for the four of us and hopefully I will find another couple to join. We are trying to get something that will be a little less strenuous and a little shorter days with time to walk at our own pace and stop when we want. Walking fast, going up stairs or inclines is problematic for a couple in our group so we do not want to hold up others. We have no interest in going to the Dead Sea or Masada so would like to spend the two days in Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

He provided us a list of suggestions with our high level thoughts. We are looking at that and researching and will get back to him on what we want to do. This is what he suggested to us based on our questions. Qumran is in the west bank so we will likely go to Ein Gedi. We want to see the Dead Sea but have no desire to go swimming. Not so sure on the 31st to Galilee. We may want to explore on our own.

October 29 – Full day Jerusalem:

Tour the Old City of Jerusalem.Visit the Tomb of King David on Mt. Zion. Walk along the Cardo, heart of the ancient Roman City; Visit the four Sepharadic Synagogues restored after 1967 war in the Jewish quarter. Visit the archaeological park at Davidson Center; Walk through the colorful local bazaar to visit the Tower of David museum presenting the history of Jerusalem and ancient remains of the city beginning with the first temple period.

October 30 – Masada

If you are not keen on swimming at the Dead Sea, the other sites in the area is Qumran and Ein Gedi

October 31 – Jewish Galilee

- Panoramic view over the Baha’i Gardens in Haifa

- Acre (Akko)

- Safed

- Sea of Galilee

- Kibbutz

Edited by Dirk_Pitt

He provided us a list of suggestions with our high level thoughts. We are looking at that and researching and will get back to him on what we want to do. This is what he suggested to us based on our questions. Qumran is in the west bank so we will likely go to Ein Gedi. We want to see the Dead Sea but have no desire to go swimming. Not so sure on the 31st to Galilee.

Would you mind explaining what you wrote about Qumran? The site is administered as an Israeli National Park.

I could be wrong. I googled it and based my comment based on the map location. I really don't have any more information than that

Do you have any particular reason for not visiting sites that you consider to be in the West Bank? Is it a security concern? Have you mentioned that to your tour company?

Edited by happy trailer

None particularly. I am sure it is safe or they would not offer it is an option. I would rather visit Israel then the occupied West Bank. A lot can happen between now and then, but I have no information

Well, in that case, depending on your definition of 'occupied West Bank' you may have a problem, since, according to the most recent UN resolution much of Jerusalem, including all of the Old City- including the Jewish Quarter and the Western Wall- is part of 'the occupied West Bank.' So, literally every site listed in your first day of touring. BTW, the entire road you will take to the Dead Sea from Jerusalem, where cars bearing Palestinian license plates drive alongside those with Israeli plates, is also located in 'the occupied West Bank.' (I am on that road at least twice a week, and the views are stunning.)

Of course, it all depends on your definition. Most Israelis and Israel supporters have a different definition than the UN- as do several countries which have since backtracked on their votes.

I actually heartedly recommend visiting the West Bank, especially to those who have negative opinions regarding the area even though they may have never been to Israel. Most find that the reality is far different than what they have been led to believe.

Thanks for the information. We are just starting to research and haven't made any final decisions. Do you have any opinions on Qumran vs Ein Gedi?

You can visit both on the day you visit Masada, but that would leave very little time for the Dead Sea- and you definitely should include a stop at the Dead Sea, including a quick float and time to slather at least your arms and face with mud!

(I know you mentioned in a previous post that you don't want to go swimming at the Dead Sea, but you really should experience the Dead Sea 'float'- even the most water-avoiding visitor winds up loving the experience of floating on the Dead Sea. And the mud! Your skin will love you for giving it even a quick coat of mud (there are outdoor showers and faucets at each Dead Sea area, to make it easy to wash off the mud, and the minerals from the sea).

If you feel the need to make a choice between visiting Ein Gedi or Qumran, your decision can be based on these criteria:

- Are you interested in desert hiking with dramatic views, or pleasant walks with some easy inclines and light hiking type walking in a waterfall area. Desert hiking = Qumran; Waterfalls = Ein Gedi

- Rich significant history, or a relaxing natural oasis? History = Qumran; Oasis = Ein Gedi.

While I think Qumran is a 'not to be missed' sight, that would be more for a visitor spending several days in the area. Most visitors to Israel never actually visit the site. (Tour guides do point out the general area and some caves while you drive past them on the Dead Sea road.)

My choice for a one day visit to the area would be Masada-Dead Sea-Ein Gedi (not necessarily in that order). That way you'll have a day filled with very significant history and striking views (Masada), a once in a lifetime experience (Dead Sea float with some mud), and a lovely relaxing place to explore (Ein Gedi).

The drive from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea is spectacular, as is the entire Dead Sea road drive from the beginning of the sea to Masada. Our son lives near the Dead Sea, and I love every turn of that road (not just because it brings me to our grandchildren;-)). Even after dozens and dozens of drives, I still gasp at the first sight of the desert as we exit Jerusalem.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not do your own thing? We docked in Haifa for an overnight stay. We walked out the port and took the train to Tel Aviv, then took a minibus in to Jerusalem. We booked a hotel overnight called St Andrews Hotel and had a full day in Jerusalem. So wonderful to mingle with the locals and see the things that interested us. Jerusalem is an easy city to navigate.