Just Back from Seabourn Encore: First Impressions

LauraS

I wonder if she used my photos (without asking) in the Telegraph article as well ?

Henry

That's extremely out of order.

I thought the one of the TK lamb dish looked familiar.

Very naughty indeed.

Able-SeamanH. You probably have some sort of copyright on your photos. Maybe the Sunday Times and the Telegraph owe you. Either way it is very naughty to publish some one else's photos without attribution. If we all are right LauraS or Sue Bryant (maybe the same person) should be reprimanded by Cruise Critic.

not only are the photos plagarised, but the article itself is just a lazy re-write of Seabourn publicity material, with a paragraph loosely summarisng some of the issues raised in Henry's 'Live from Encore' thread (again without acknowledging the source).

This is second-rate hack-journalism at its worse.

Edited by Flamin_June

• Administrators

Ah, if you hover over the pictures you'll see we gave credit where credit is due.....I had forgotten about that feature.

And, when you registered to post on the forums, we state that we may use your photos elsewhere on the site.

Mystery solved.

Laura

You'd do well to find that on your own. Only if you were highlighting them with a view to copying and pinching them.

Whenever I use someone else's work as I often do with soundtracks for my videos I make sure the third party is given full credit without having to delve into hidden background script. In fact on the last video I made they got a mention & I didn't because I felt their material so good.

I would have put a mention underneath the author's details.

Ultimately life is short and I'm not overly precious but technically they were only linked to on CC, not hosted by them so a tricky one. I'd hate to see people withhold good quality material from the site for fear of having it used without permission.

As I say no need to worry further on this occasion but I would be annoyed if the images were used in a published magazine article. For those I get paid :)

Henry :)

You'd do well to find that on your own. Only if you were highlighting them with a view to copying and pinching them.

Whenever I use someone else's work as I often do with soundtracks for my videos I make sure the third party is given full credit without having to delve into hidden background script. In fact on the last video I made they got a mention & I didn't because I felt their material so good.

I would have put a mention underneath the author's details.

Ultimately life is short and I'm not overly precious but technically they were only linked to on CC, not hosted by them so a tricky one. I'd hate to see people withhold good quality material from the site for fear of having it used without permission.

As I say no need to worry further on this occasion but I would be annoyed if the images were used in a published magazine article. For those I get paid :)

Henry, I learned that lesson the hard way. While in Africa I made a video and used copyrighted music and uploaded the video to YouTube. Boy were they quick to slap my hand and told me that I had used copyrighted music and to please use freeware music or put the artists name in the credits and even that can be touchy and could be a legal issue. The sad part was they deleted the video I worked so hard on and I had to redo the soundtrack. The same goes for pictures as well.

On CC you are agreeing when you become a member that CC has the right to use pictures that are posted or sent in.

Just curious, I have been meaning to ask a question when taking photos or videos on Seabourn ( or any other ship for that matter), where other guests are included in the photo or video. Are those other guests asked permission to be included? Or is it assumed that they want their picture/video taken and posted on a public forum without their permission?

I always wondered about seeing those unassuming passengers being filmed in their bathing suits around the pool, whether someone actually asked them if they minded being included in a strangers holiday video and then being posted for the world to view?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, we go to great pains to ensure there is no one in our background identifiable as we would hate to be featured in someone else's snaps.

We don't do Facebook etc for the same reasons (we don't want our pictures publicised and don't want other people to take our right to choose away) and are circumspect when others ask for us to "stand in" a photo.

It's tedious standing around waiting, but you can actually get photos of monuments, landmarks, vistas etc without the screaming hordes of happy snappers crawling over it doing selfies. Patience is rewarded.

We respect others' privacy and believe most Seabourners do too.

Ah yes, the age old question of do we own the copyright to our own self image. To which the answer is sadly not otherwise paparazzi snappers would be out of a job overnight. The person taking the picture owns the copyright.

When you're in a public space and an adult then it's pretty much a free for all.

With my videos I tend to film a lot of deserted footage, use staff or disguising techniques such as focus, shooting from behind or back lighting to cover identity. This isn't always the case particularly with wide overall shots but I try to be mindful of privacy and don't aim to portray anyone in a bad light.

I get quite a few people coming up and chatting to me now if I'm filming saying they've seen previous films I've made and thankfully people are positive. In some cases people tell me they were pleased to have been caught on camera. If that's the case I will try to get them in the one I'm filming. I even have people who were a bit anti me filming my first ever video who ask for copies of the current effort before I disembark.

Ultimately it's my holiday video, I know Seabourn would use paid models / staff were they making promotional films.

Suite Travels - YouTube has some very clever software which picks up published music and either bans you using it, puts advertising on your video or restricts replay in certain countries or on mobile devices (including tablets).

My reference about crediting artists was in relation to unpublished work or work not covered by the YouTube sniffer software. I'm careful not to steal someone else's limelight.

You are right in that creativity can be time consuming so it's frustrating to have it messed with. That also includes posts on forum such as this where every post represents an investment of time.

This article was written by Sue Bryant who has just had a similar article published in today's UK Sunday Times. I assume she was a guest of Seabourn.

My TA was on the same cruise as the author (maiden voyage). He said that her opinions and experience were very much on the same page as he. He paid full fare, btw.

I know several folks who were on that same cruise and their opinions - all of them being Diamond level members, not a "guest" of Seabourn, or referring people to Seabourn - were not favorable. Paid vs. paying I suppose, or future revenue via commissions. Not getting any "special" treatments if paying as apparently some favorable posters did.

As for someone posting a picture with another passenger they are not travelling with (in the sense of travelling as an entity, not on the same cruise for semantics) not everyone wants to let others know what they do or how they travel. Years ago, on a cruise where a person who often indiscriminately posts pictures of people he has absolutely no relationship with - he did not even speak to them over 14 days, but we all knew who he was - left the ship and posted pictures of several people. One person in particular was irate as they were a professional XXX who had clients who travel extensively but did not want their clients to know they were travelling on Seabourn as that would complicate the relationship. People need to be mindful before posting on social media pictures of those they randomly capture, everyone has their own story / life and may not want it on your social media post. (And before anyone rebuts, this is not a critique of Able Seaman's videos / posts, rather a general comment / observation).

I am currently on Encore.

the stateroom is definitely not as wide as Odyssey .

the cupboard at the end of the bed just should not be there.

the bathroom really is badly designed the bath is for a child . the shower is tiny and the door hits my boob every time i go in. the door to the bathroom is not very wide.

The food is nice but not up to the usual Seabourn standard.

went to the Grill twice wouldnt bother to go back.

the sushi in the Sushi restaurant is fantastic but they serve absolutely No meals other than fish.

what not even a chicken sushi or bring out the lunch chicken teriyaki?

( no sushi at lunch at the sushi restaurant):eek:

lets not start on the lack of laundry . one pasenger gave a brand new lace dress for pressing . it came back out of shape and ruined.

thank godness she was compensated.

dont rely on cellular at sea as we had none for much of the day yesterday while coming down the coast.

I think my next cruise will be back on Odyssey.

Edited by tinkky

I have been on board Encore for more than 5 weeks. So I suppose I am qualified to offer advice to other posters on board:

Don't mention if anyone is using the exclusive Retreat. Because if you do someone might object, call you "creepy", and possibly even accuse you of "stalking" the pool area 3 decks below.

That was my experience. Strange but true! Go figure...

Happy and healthy sailing!