Exodus of Seabourn Executives

DCCruiser57

Interesting to learn of some significant departures in senior management. Last July, John Delaney, Senior VP of Global Sales and Marketing, left Seabourn to become President of Windstar. In January 2017, Chris Prelog, Vice President of Seabourn Hotel Operations and Entertainment, left to become Windstar Vice President of Fleet Operations. Lastly, a couple days ago, Guenter Steinbrunner, Seabourn Corporate Hotel Director, left to become Windstar's Corporate Hotel Manager.

Well, it's early days to see how the departure of these 3 men will impact Seabourn.

That said, to me one leading indicator of success is just how engaging their replacements are in terms of dealing with

long-time Seabourn passengers. If they don't make much of an effort and/or if they kinda smile and act like the know it all-

and I am talking in particular about those who arrive from a hotel and not a cruise company background- I will know for sure that Seabourn is in for a rough ride.

Why do I say this? My own sense of satisfaction with the brand at its zenith was some years ago when Pam Conover was president, Barry Hopkins was a top CD (casting memories back to the Odyssey's dramatic and intimate Venice inaugural event) and Guenther was HD then and on many other cruises. Then I really did not know or even care about head office personnel unless I ad met them along the way. Some of these new management were no doubt at the Encore inaugural which I attended but sadly they did not leave much of a positive impression, if any.

OK, maybe they were "simpler" times but that's how I view it now.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Well, it's early days to see how the departure of these 3 men will impact Seabourn.

That said, to me one leading indicator of success is just how engaging their replacements are in terms of dealing with

long-time Seabourn passengers. If they don't make much of an effort and/or if they kinda smile and act like the know it all-

and I am talking in particular about those who arrive from a hotel and not a cruise company background- I will know for sure that Seabourn is in for a rough ride.

Why do I say this? My own sense of satisfaction with the brand at its zenith was some years ago when Pam Conover was president, Barry Hopkins was a top CD (casting memories back to the Odyssey's dramatic and intimate Venice inaugural event) and Guenther was HD then and on many other cruises. Then I really did not know or even care about head office personnel unless I ad met them along the way. Some of these new management were no doubt at the Encore inaugural which I attended but sadly they did not leave much of a positive impression, if any.

OK, maybe they were "simpler" times but that's how I view it now.

Happy and healthy sailing!

And you certainly have enough insider experience. I trust your judgement.

We have had the golden years of Seabourn.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I fear you are correct again. And isn't it just interesting that every single board of lines owned by Carnival Corp have the same topics about cutbacks, lack of training of servers, etc, etc...... Just a coincidence I am sure....:D

We have had the golden years of Seabourn.

Those disappeared with the sale of the triplets. But in all fairness, I think there have been cutbacks in all the luxury lines including Crystal and certainly, Silversea.

Those disappeared with the sale of the triplets. But in all fairness, I think there have been cutbacks in all the luxury lines including Crystal and certainly, Silversea.

Yes Henry all of the lines have cut back but the only one going places at the moment seems to be Windstar.

I am tempted to go back on the triplets but I must approach that day with an open mind and must not think of the way that they were under the wing of Seabourn.

Yes Henry all of the lines have cut back but the only one going places at the moment seems to be Windstar.

I am tempted to go back on the triplets but I must approach that day with an open mind and must not think of the way that they were under the wing of Seabourn.

I am sailing on the Legend next week. It is not the same as Seabourn, but can report back on the experience if that is helpful. We are doing the cruise because of the itinerary as it stops in Montserrat and we will tour the buried capital city Plymouth.

John Delaney only became involved with Seabourn after the merge with HAL. His background was not luxury. It was easy to bring Chris Prelog over to Windstar as Windstar is SEA based and he didn't have to relocate and he is back working with small ships (including the original Seabourn sisters).

Senior staff come and go and in the past unless a very visible President (such as when Larry Pimentel left Seabourn) moves it usually doesn't make a huge difference. Most passengers don't even know who the exec team is on any cruiseline.

Carnival Corp has owned 100% of Seabourn since April? 1998. Since that time Seabourn has consistently been viewed as a World's Best cruise line. Had CCL not purchased Seabourn, who knows what would have happened.

All cruise lines have cut back and it is not only Seabourn. I still find it an incredible value. I do miss Barry may he Rest In Peace. He was one great CD.

Forgot to add the replacement for John Delaney is Chris Austin who has a great CV and will do wonderful things IMHO

Yes, I'm not too harsh with SB/Carnival. We squeezed a few extra years of quality out of SB because of Carnival. Can't really expect greatness when they merge SB with other lines. Things were going south enough the past couple years, but the added capacity and competition for staff is the end of the line.

Booked Encore to hang out at TK bar. Hope the suite is good enough, because those are the only two spots that interest me. I believe the two new ships have been designed for a different market segment.

Yes, I'm not too harsh with SB/Carnival. We squeezed a few extra years of quality out of SB because of Carnival. Can't really expect greatness when they merge SB with other lines. Things were going south enough the past couple years, but the added capacity and competition for staff is the end of the line.

Booked Encore to hang out at TK bar. Hope the suite is good enough, because those are the only two spots that interest me. I believe the two new ships have been designed for a different market segment.

Just like Crystal's two new ships will be designed for a different market segment. Things change on all lines. Cruise lines and their guests both evolve and I'm good with that. If I'm not, I move on.

I'm sure the suite will be good enough. Enjoy the TK bar.

I too attempted to try Windstar. If we go with an open mind and not a scorecard it could be very good. They are making serious attempts at improving their food and onboard experience. Besides, it's just one cruise and being on those ships again could be reason enough.

Here, here! Nick Hale was the best CD we have met on Seabourn. We still sing "Seabourn Pride" as he taught us on our first Seabourn cruise in the Baltic!

Nick was the best we have had on any cruise.We heard he is on a River boat.

Concur with markum's comments re the "suits" onboard for the Encore inaugural. They made no effort to have any interaction with passengers or do anything to represent Seabourn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was also present during the inaugural cruises and this was not my experience. Both Delaney's and Prelog's replacements did seek out passengers to join for coffee, tea, lunch or dinner. Unfortunately they can't get to everyone in a short period of time with so many on board and depart leaving an unfavorable impression with others. I also agree with the poster who said that Austin has an impressive background. And the new VP of hotel operations, Mosslinger, was with Seabourn for 7 yrs some time ago and is the person who originally hired Prelog. I think we should give these guys a chance.

Edited by medroots
word omitted

and i do agree in full with you ! also on SS ! despite that company still does have a very good wine list - and not so expensive - comparing to the other ones you do mention

however i think both of us we have serious discounts as "member" on non complimentary wines.