Port side (suite 622) on Odyssey in the Med

mariamva2

oh, ok. Well, the seabourn rep told us that the left faces the ports, so hopefully 622 is the right side.

No Seabourn rep can ever know for sure which way the ship will dock! It's dependent on the port, the weather conditions, other traffic in port etc.

The port side is the left hand side of the ship as you face the bow. As other posters have confirmed, suite number 622 is on the port side of the ship. This does not mean it will necessarily be facing the port. It may, it may not.

All you will know from the ship layout is if you are on the left (port) or right (starboard) side if the ship. Again "port " side has nothing to do with the ports of call. In some ports, as noted by others, the ship will back into the dock -- in others he will head in. You will have no way of knowing which way your suite will face port by port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And in fairness, there are some ports where you don't want to be facing in to land - the sea is far more pretty!

We were on the starboard side last cruise and were facing into port a few times so as Chairsin says there are no guarantees.

It certainly does and is very much looking forward to checking out the Spanish/French/Italian Rivieras in July with beloved going along for the ride :D however, we have gone for a 'normal' suite this time and beloved is promising to put the third passenger in the walk in wardrobe :eek: so where am I going to put all my clothes?

The cranes, the rusty containers, the dilapidated buildings ehhh no! ;p

It can be interesting. When we were in Katakolon I was lying in bed as we docked and I could see the Ruby Princess docking on the other side of the dock. It was huge. We noticed when everyone was returning to the ship they all had cartons of bottled water (obviously they had to pay for water). It made us appreciate where we were on the Odyssey.

As Chairsin pointed out, there is a difference from being on the side of the ship facing the dock at the current port vs. being in a suite on the port side which is a nautical term referring to the left side of the ship when one is facing forward [fore] . As a general rule you can not know in advance how any ship will be positioned in a given port, given tides, other ships, captain's preference, etc.. There are usually disadvantages to facing the "port" - another ship docked across from you blocking the view or allowing them to look into your suite, views of local graffiti, etc. Personally I prefer to not face the "port", but again it depends on how the ships winds up being positioned in each port.

An interesting thread. On some cruises a port side suite gives more views and on others choose a starboard one. Just look carefully at the itinerary/route map when booking. Generally in port we like to be on the side that faces the port, whether our suite is on the port or starboard side of the ship. There is always some, often lots, of activity on the quay and it can be quite interesting. We've even seem stretchers being taken off the ship to ambulances and once sadly to a hearse, and cartons of my favorite scotch whisky being brought aboard when I've drunk the ship dry.

oh, ok. Well, the seabourn rep told us that the left faces the ports, so hopefully 622 is the right side.

Well, either the OP misunderstood the Seabourn rep or Seabourn needs to train the cruise line reps better, maybe even show them the ships! :rolleyes: