Do all Carnival ships now use the card slot to keep the cabin lights on?

PlanoDebbie

It's been a few years since we were last on Carnival, and just got home from the Breeze today.

Our ship had the card slot that had to keep your ship card in to keep your lights on. I'm guessing they figured if you're not in the room, you don't need the lights on. Makes sense. Just found it slightly annoying, but no big deal.

A few days ago, hubby happened to find his old ship card from our RCCL cruise last summer in his suitcase. He decided to plug that card into the slot to see if it worked the same as our current Carnival card. It did! Now before anybody starts complaining that we were wasting electricity and leaving the lights on all day while we were out of the cabin, we weren't. We just like putting both of our cards in the same place while we were in our cabin. Since my card was always on a lanyard, hubby always had to put his card in the slot. He's used to keeping it in his pocket, and a few times, he almost forgot to pull the card out of the slot as we left our cabin.

So..apparently there isn't anything special about your current Carnival sign and sail card to keep your cabin lights on. There just needs to be some sort of card stuck in the slot. This way I didn't have to worry about the Hubby locking himself out of the cabin any more. It was just annoying to get in the cabin, flip the lights on and jump into the bathroom only to have all of the cabin lights go out about 10 seconds later while you're sitting on the throne taking care of business.

You're welcome!!!

The Carnival Victory cabins have very recently been updated with the decor similar to the Breeze and has the card slot for the cabin lights. The cabins also now have two 120V electrical outlets and two USB ports. See pics below.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by B744

I don't think it is fleet wide yet, but definitely on the Vista and I guess any other ship that has recently went to dry dock. I totally get why Carnival did it, cutting down on wasted electricity makes sense, but I can also see why passengers (myself included) don't like it because of the possibility of locking themselves out of their room. It also appears any card with those dimensions will work, so a credit card, drivers license, gift card, old room key will all do the trick.

It's ingenious in my opinion.

For hotels anyway. How much money could a Vegas hotel save if they had this?

On a ship? Not like they are plugged into the local utility, but I'm sure it costs them some bunker fuel to generate electricity.

I once checked into a hotel in Japan. Couldn't turn on the lights, the radio or the TV. I'm like WTH?

Then I saw this slot next to the door and something clicked in my mind. Yep, same thing except it turned all power to the room on and off.

It's ingenious in my opinion.

For hotels anyway. How much money could a Vegas hotel save if they had this?

On a ship? Not like they are plugged into the local utility, but I'm sure it costs them some bunker fuel to generate electricity.

I once checked into a hotel in Japan. Couldn't turn on the lights, the radio or the TV. I'm like WTH?

Then I saw this slot next to the door and something clicked in my mind. Yep, same thing except it turned all power to the room on and off.

I can see this, but when most people skirt the system as I plan to do next week on Vista by putting an old gift card in there, it defeats the purpose. I will leave the card in when I leave the cabin if I need things to charge. Actually, my old gift card will remain there for the duration of the cruise, so it will be like not having that system in place at all. Now if the wiring weren't tied to the plugs, then that would be different. Hated it on the Solstice and I will hate it on the Vista.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I can see this, but when most people skirt the system as I plan to do next week on Vista by putting an old gift card in there, it defeats the purpose. I will leave the card in when I leave the cabin if I need things to charge. Actually, my old gift card will remain there for the duration of the cruise, so it will be like not having that system in place at all. Now if the wiring weren't tied to the plugs, then that would be different. Hated it on the Solstice and I will hate it on the Vista.

I agree, it will be nice if the card slot just provided power to the lights and leave the outlet always powered on. I use an alarm clock that is always plugged in to keep the time. I hate having to reset it at night or whenever i leave the cabin.

Not only will any card work, so will a folded piece of paper. The steward on our last cruise hooked us up with one.

I learned this when I pulled the piece of paper out and our lights wouldn't go back on. I had no idea what it was though, so I ended up calling the guest services! LOL! I promptly put that piece of paper back in.

Wait so if no card is in the slot none of the plugs will work?