GRRRRR Deck blocked of this section of cruise.Available at the next embarkation stop

kruisey

Have you ever experienced the deck you wish to obtain a cabin on is' ALL SOLD OUT'. You phone Princess and they state you can go on Guarantee but will not necessary get that deck ?. You look at the next port that also embarks on this long trip and all that deck is available to them,and yours is blocked off for them?:(:loudcry:

Would just love your comments on this?.....Kruisey

They often block off quite a few cabins when there are segments of embarkation - i.e. embarking in CPH, Warnemunde, STP. They hold back cabins for people to book at those embarkation ports. They usually release them after final payment time and then you can move to any available cabin. Of course, there's no guarantee you'll get what you want and those embarkation ports could have so many people that the cabins are actually, really booked. Maybe you can waitlist the cabin you want?

We did a canal transit leaving out of Vancouver (22 days), SF (17 days), and LA 15 days). Balconies sailing from SF were sold out even though there were still balconies available if you were sailing from Vancouver. It happens. Princess books different legs of the cruise and they hold cabins for different legs.

In your case I have to agree that it is likely the cabins are actually booked by folks getting off at the next stop and that is why they are suddenly available there.

That is probably what has happened .The short cruise has been booked solid on that deck.I am just going to check that one out on the short cruise.Thanks for hint....Kruisey:)

Just checked out.That first leg.Plenty of available space on the deck which folks going the whole trip are told all cabins sold.

GGGGGGRR I am one mad puppy:mad::mad::mad:.

I have to go out will be back later in day folks:)

I just had this happen to us. We wanted to book the 14 day carib cruise. It is really 2 7 days but they also sold it as a 14 day. We tried and tried and 95% of ship was sold out. Went and looked at the 2 7 day options...ship completely open so we booked it as 2 separate 7 days....even princess couldn't explain that one. I get holding cabins in each category for each segment but for 1 segment to show it just about completely sold out when it is not really is just crazy...I feel for you and hope you find a workaround.

I just had this happen to us. We wanted to book the 14 day carib cruise. It is really 2 7 days but they also sold it as a 14 day. We tried and tried and 95% of ship was sold out. Went and looked at the 2 7 day options...ship completely open so we booked it as 2 separate 7 days....even princess couldn't explain that one. I get holding cabins in each category for each segment but for 1 segment to show it just about completely sold out when it is not really is just crazy...I feel for you and hope you find a workaround.

Surely you must have had to pay more that way? I am pleases I am not on my own noticing this practice.

They often block off quite a few cabins when there are segments of embarkation - i.e. embarking in CPH, Warnemunde, STP. They hold back cabins for people to book at those embarkation ports. They usually release them after final payment time and then you can move to any available cabin. Of course, there's no guarantee you'll get what you want and those embarkation ports could have so many people that the cabins are actually, really booked. Maybe you can waitlist the cabin you want?

This is exactly what happens. Cruise lines, when they have "logical" voyages (ie. two or more voyages that are sold as one cruise), have to allocate space to the logical and space to the other voyages as well. If you have a good TA, they may be able to negotiate the release of space for what you want.

We saw this happen. We booked a stateroom on the Majestic. 14 days, 2 x 7 b2b. The staterooms we were interested in were not available on the the 7 day segments, but available on the 14 day cruise. These were some of the Premium Deluxe Balcony Aft staterooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly what happens. Cruise lines, when they have "logical" voyages (ie. two or more voyages that are sold as one cruise), have to allocate space to the logical and space to the other voyages as well. If you have a good TA, they may be able to negotiate the release of space for what you want.

We had this problem last year with a B2B.

(a) segment 1 voyage starts in Houston (stops in FLL for more passengers) and goes to Southampton.

(b) segment 1 voyage passengers that get on in FLL and go on to Southampton.

© segment 2 voyage around the British Isles

(d) segment 1 (from Houston) + segment 2 booked as one cruise

(e) segment 1 (from FLL) + segment 2 booked as one cruise

So cabins were allocated among the different ways the cruise could be booked.

As one example, an empty cabin available in (b) but shown as unavailable in (a) even though it would be unoccupied from Houston to FLL.

We frequently have this issue; in fact, we have it with potential B2B cruises this fall. I book the closest cabin I could to what we have on the next cruise so that if we have to move it's not far. At final payment, if we in fact take these cruises, I'll phone Princess and ask the rep to speak with Yield Management to see if they can move us into the cabin we really want. That works more often than not provided we are booked into the same cabin category. If that cabin is occupied, those people are usually given an upgrade (if they want it) to move.

Sometimes it doesn't work. If that was going to upset me I wouldn't take the risk in the first place.

We frequently have this issue; in fact, we have it with potential B2B cruises this fall. I book the closest cabin I could to what we have on the next cruise so that if we have to move it's not far. At final payment, if we in fact take these cruises, I'll phone Princess and ask the rep to speak with Yield Management to see if they can move us into the cabin we really want. That works more often than not provided we are booked into the same cabin category. If that cabin is occupied, those people are usually given an upgrade (if they want it) to move.

Sometimes it doesn't work. If that was going to upset me I wouldn't take the risk in the first place.

You are correct:)

Several years ago on a long cruise I did this.My oh my what a hassle it was, though to get it.This cruise I am interested in is nearly 40 days and to tell you the truth dollar wise(Solo) maybe beyond my pocket although late 2018 so I am not pushing it at the moment.I have been looking but my eye keeps going back to that one and I drool:o:hearteyes:

Surely you must have had to pay more that way? I am pleases I am not on my own noticing this practice.

Actually no. And we just got a price drop on both and get the 2 cruise credits as well. I believe it was actually a bit less...like $20 to $50 but hey that is bingo money [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Have you ever experienced the deck you wish to obtain a cabin on is' ALL SOLD OUT'. You phone Princess and they state you can go on Guarantee but will not necessary get that deck ?. You look at the next port that also embarks on this long trip and all that deck is available to them,and yours is blocked off for them?:(:loudcry:

Would just love your comments on this?.....Kruisey

Yep, and I haven't sailed on Princess since. It was a TA where the entire Caribe deck was kept for the cruise that was 3 days longer.

Yep, and I haven't sailed on Princess since. It was a TA where the entire Caribe deck was kept for the cruise that was 3 days longer.

I had this happen several years ago.Told them I would not go unless I had a cabin on that deck .Through numerous calls in the end they said they would have to ask the department who does the assignments they did get a cabin of my choice.What a hassle I had to go through.Many phone calls. :eek::loudcry::( I think they might have done it to get some peace in the end:evilsmile:;)

This is a standard feature on all lines booking systems. When a cruise is available in segments, cabins are allocated to specific segments or blocks of segments. Now, theoretically they can scatter them but they group them as much as possible for two reasons. Luggage and turnover.

Let's just say that segment or block of segments ends in Barcelona. If they scatter the cabins throughout the ship, the luggage crew has to run all over the ship collecting (and delivering). The Laundry is sending full room resets all over the ship. Cabin stewards are trying to reset some cabins while still servicing in use cabins all at the same time (unlike a full ship turnover) while the ship is in normal operations. Logistically it would be very difficult.

So what they do is set up blocks. This way, on that port day, that section can be closed off and most of the cabins can be turned over more quickly, additional staff can be assigned to help, etc. The only cabins not in the mix were those not sold for the leg and used to fill and this is typically a smaller number (if one, they may even leave it empty for a leg).

Does this mean the cabin you really want may not be available for your particular configuration? Yes. Does it make sense? Yes.

This is a standard feature on all lines booking systems. When a cruise is available in segments, cabins are allocated to specific segments or blocks of segments. Now, theoretically they can scatter them but they group them as much as possible for two reasons. Luggage and turnover.

Let's just say that segment or block of segments ends in Barcelona. If they scatter the cabins throughout the ship, the luggage crew has to run all over the ship collecting (and delivering). The Laundry is sending full room resets all over the ship. Cabin stewards are trying to reset some cabins while still servicing in use cabins all at the same time (unlike a full ship turnover) while the ship is in normal operations. Logistically it would be very difficult.

So what they do is set up blocks. This way, on that port day, that section can be closed off and most of the cabins can be turned over more quickly, additional staff can be assigned to help, etc. The only cabins not in the mix were those not sold for the leg and used to fill and this is typically a smaller number (if one, they may even leave it empty for a leg).

Does this mean the cabin you really want may not be available for your particular configuration? Yes. Does it make sense? Yes.

I beg to disagree with you on this trip.There only seems to be one level available for those boarding in Southampton on this 38 day cruise to Singapore.Decks above and below are only opened up in Rome.Top price is paid for those boarding in Southampton.

In my personal opinion yes it is more convenient for the cruise line but certainly not for their paying customers .If it was not for the passengers booking cruises there would be no cruise line and unemployment for the 1000 employees it hires for the ship. :cool:

I fully understand blocking cabins for different legs but not an entire deck, especially the Caribe deck.

I said nothing about fair... Just practical...

And they very much may be restricting demand to tier up pricing. Again, not fair, but practical.

Just explaining why they do it by section/deck as opposed to opening the ship up more widely among the segments.

I beg to disagree with you on this trip.There only seems to be one level available for those boarding in Southampton on this 38 day cruise to Singapore.Decks above and below are only opened up in Rome.Top price is paid for those boarding in Southampton.

In my personal opinion yes it is more convenient for the cruise line but certainly not for their paying customers .If it was not for the passengers booking cruises there would be no cruise line and unemployment for the 1000 employees it hires for the ship. :cool:

It could be something as simple and venal that they think those cabins will command the highest prices from the leg being booked. Or they block sold it to an agent in that area for resale, among other things.

I fully understand blocking cabins for different legs but not an entire deck, especially the Caribe deck.

I am just going to look up the Southampton to Rome the shorter trip.I bet that is the reason .On the longer trip the price might be cheaper than those paying just for Southampton to Rome.I have a feeling when I look the other decks will be open.

If I can manage to afford this long trip I will probably have to do battle again to get the cabin I want.Not very nice GRRRRRRRRR:(

I am just going to look up the Southampton to Rome the shorter trip.I bet that is the reason .On the longer trip the price might be cheaper than those paying just for Southampton to Rome.I have a feeling when I look the other decks will be open.

If I can manage to afford this long trip I will probably have to do battle again to get the cabin I want.Not very nice GRRRRRRRRR:(

As I stated above cabins are all available on the short trip to Rome,then opened again in Rome:rolleyes: