So if you get left at a port ....

lindyloo17

Getting a little worried now with all the stories of it taking hours to tender... then having to be back to port 2 hours before ship leaves...

This cuts an 8 hr dock to 4 hrs !

So I don't want to cause an argument... however on practical terms. What do you do if you miss the ship?

I assume they give your passports to the port manager and go 😮😮😮

So any tips.

Obviously always carry a credit card and Meds.

If it happens, go to the port agent for Princess.......the name and phone number are listed in the Patter for each port. I would think they would be at the wharf when a Princess ship is in port.

Thank goodness I've never had to find out.

The best way to avoid it is to be sure your watch/smart phone is on ship time, and be aware how far you are from the ship. If booking an excursion, use a tour company that guarantees you will be back in time if you don't book one with Princess. I have seen a lot of videos with people running to the ship too late. I've never seen an excursion group, only drunks and people with lots of shopping bags.

If you should need to fly to the next port, you need to have proof of citizenship with you, most likely. I've heard before where passports have not been retrieved from a passenger's safe.

I'd love to get a first hand report, but hopefully, not from you!

If you are on a ship sponsored shore excursion; the ship may wait depending on how many are in your group. If they leave, then the cruiseline will get you to the next port. If you are on your own or private tour and miss the ship; you have to pay to get to next port. So, depending on how far apart the cities or countries, it may cost you a lot.

Getting a little worried now with all the stories of it taking hours to tender... then having to be back to port 2 hours before ship leaves...

So I don't want to cause an argument... however on practical terms. What do you do if you miss the ship?

I assume they give your passports to the port manager and go 😮😮😮

So any tips.

Obviously always carry a credit card and Meds.

If your are on a Princess shore excursion you will not be left behind, follow the instructions on your tour ticket. If you are on your own it is your responsibility to return to the tender dock not later than the posted time for the last tender. The last tender is usually around 1 hour before sailing time. To get the early tenders to shore show up at the tender ticket location, usually a DR, early. All members of your group must be there.One person can not collect tender tickets for an entire group or even for one other person. Depending on the port tender tickets will no longer be required at some point after the initial rush.

If left ashore contact the shore agent listed in the Princess Patter. Don't lose track of time.

8 hours to 4 hours is the extreme.

If you are at the tender point BEFORE the time of the "last" tender then you will have no worries. If there are more people waiting at the departure time of the "last" tender than the "last" tender will carry that will become the "penultimate" tender and they will put on another "last" tender.

Where did you get the "2 hours" before the ship leaves? Are you mixing up Departure Day with a Port Day? On a port day the "all aboard" time will probably be 30 minutes before departure; if it is a tender port then probably the last tender will leave at that 30 minute point unless it is a long tender ride.

Edited by casofilia
clarification

When you are coming back to the ship, as long as you are in line for tendering they will not leave you behind. For example if last tender is scheduled for 4pm, there are times when many tours and solos show up between 3:30 and 4 - with more people in line than the last scheduled tender can accommodate, the ship will keep running tenders until everyone is back.

If you do miss the ship the port agent will have your passport and all expenses getting back to the ship or home port are on you.

If you are on a ship sponsored shore excursion; the ship may wait depending on how many are in your group. If they leave, then the cruiseline will get you to the next port. If you are on your own or private tour and miss the ship; you have to pay to get to next port. So, depending on how far apart the cities or countries, it may cost you a lot.

I have to wonder how that would work for those people on that ship-sponsored excursion who the cruise line is now going to fly to the next port who don't actually have passports.

Anyone know?

I remember being very worried about this before our first cruise...but it's not really something to 'worry' about...just make good decisions. Be smart and you'll be fine. :)

Here's a few things to consider

• The time you have to be back on board is 30 min. before sailing...not 2 hrs. Perhaps you're thinking of boarding the ship on the first day???
  • Yes, those on PCL excursions are guaranteed either for the ship to wait on you....or for Princess to get you to the next port at THEIR expense. However...many independent excursion companies are starting to offer that same "guarantee"...to compete. Read the fine print...I probably would never book an independent excursion unless I confirmed that guarantee... just my personal opinion...
  • There are many opinions out there about whether or not to take your passport into port with you. Everyone has their reasons for what they do...and there are valid justifications for both opinions. What WE do is make copies (of the information page...not the entire book :D) and take the COPIES into port with us. From that, any 'official' could confirm that you did indeed have a 'real' passport...the number, picture, etc... is there
  • Travel insurance will also take care of you if you're left in port ....if you purchase a 'good' policy. As with anything else, read the fine print...preferably before purchasing it. :D Buy Travel Insurance...and KNOW what insurance coverage you bought...
  • As mentioned above, the liason for the cruiseline and their contact info will be printed in the Princess Patters each night before a port day. Either write this down...or take the entire Patters with you into port. This person will help you with any issues you have in port..including being left by the ship...
  • Of course, it goes without mentioning that you need to make sure you have your WATCH (not cell phone) set to ship time as that is the time ships come and go by...not port time. Cell phones will 'ping' and re-set themselves to port time if your data is turned on. Go by your watch!

Edited by rgmacm

And by all means...if you are late, and the captain has held the boat for your party, and everyone is looking at you...Please do your best to hurry up. I've seen stragglers take their sweet time even though they were already 30 minutes past sail time.

One party stood around and visited with their friends for an additional 10 minutes. They started to remove the gangplank was soon as they stepped aboard. Very inconsiderate in my book. Princess was extremely patient with them.

As someone else pointed out, line up for tender tickets about 20 minutes before the published time to get tickets and you will likely be on one of the first tenders to go ashore.

When we have a private excursion, we aim to be back at the tender area 30 minutes before the "last" tender.

And by all means...if you are late, and the captain has held the boat for your party, and everyone is looking at you...Please do your best to hurry up. I've seen stragglers take their sweet time even though they were already 30 minutes past sail time.

One party stood around and visited with their friends for an additional 10 minutes. They started to remove the gangplank was soon as they stepped aboard. Very inconsiderate in my book. Princess was extremely patient with them.

This comment reminds me of a recent thread. In the above circumstances I would do my best to get back on the ship but this could also be another one of those "she didn't look handicapped" things. I have extreme pain in my feet. Wearing shoes is a killer for me. The second I am inside a building or vehicle those shoes come off. If I were to hurry back because we were late I surely would do my best. But if you see me slowing down and walking slower and slower I have no doubt as a "pier runner/watcher" I would get the cheers and jeers from watchers. I would expect nothing less as it is my favorite thing to do as we get ready to leave shore.

My point is, some of those slow walkers might have been in pain and walking slow. I don't use a walker or cane. On long days like Disneyland I would surely be using my scooter. Once back on the ship I would be at pain level 10 and in tears. I'm really not saying any of them are but you don't have to be old to need to walk slow.

Now, the couple visiting, they deserve anything you can give them.

Thank you for all the info.

We will copy our passports and I will wear and set a wristwatch to make sure we are on "ship time "

I was told the last tender left an hour before the ship left...so if ship goes at 5pm last tender is 4pm so get to port by 3pm to ensure you get a tender ok?

I think I will aim to be at the port 30mins before last tender now.

It's a shame the port time is so short and th3 main places to go in asia are 2 hours each way....away from the port.

Rookie error...should have probably booked a different company who have over nights in the ports like Laem chabang.

Still we will get a taster of each place 😀

Thank you for the advice

I have to wonder how that would work for those people on that ship-sponsored excursion who the cruise line is now going to fly to the next port who don't actually have passports.

Anyone know?

The passports and safe contents for any passengers that miss the ship will be left with the port agent.

• Of course, it goes without mentioning that you need to make sure you have your WATCH (not cell phone) set to ship time as that is the time ships come and go by...not port time. Cell phones will 'ping' and re-set themselves to port time if your data is turned on. Go by your watch!

I thought Princess always set the ship time to the local port time for this very reason. Am I wrong?

It's a shame the port time is so short and th3 main places to go in asia are 2 hours each way....away from the port.

Rookie error...should have probably booked a different company who have over nights in the ports like Laem chabang.

Still we will get a taster of each place 😀

The one time we might hesitate to take a private excursion is when it requires both a tender and a multi-hour drive. Taking the Princess excursion will give you peace of mind and possibly a longer day since they have disembarkation priority.

The passports and safe contents for any passengers that miss the ship will be left with the port agent.

Well that's better than being stranded with out cash or credit card , I guess.

The link shared at three beginning of the thread makes very serious reading!

It's hard to know about carrying passport and credit cards etc...as we've been warned about getting bag snatches especially in HCMC.

If you get back to the ship or tender landing a half hour before the time posted on the gangway you will be fine. But if you read this thread you will notice constant reference to a watch. While Princess usually has ship time match the port this isn't always true. And if your smart phone decides to use the wrong time you can have a problem. Haven't seen runners after the ship sails in a while but have seen the ship wait for large tour groups many times.

Hour long lines for a return tender are fairly rare. Usually these lines are 15 minutes or less. And ship officers will walk around the port looking for stragglers before they close down the tendering operation. You really have to work to miss the ship.

I was watching a television program called Mighty Cruise Ships and in one episode, two passengers failed to show up in time and the ship had to set sail. Fortunately for the two stragglers, the ship was only going to a nearby island and the passengers were able to get back to the ship via a tender. When they got on board, the cruise director scolded them (and rightly so) and then said to them, "We will talk later". I would have loved to have heard that conversation.:D

Several years ago we were on a Princess excursion in Italy, large bus load, and were quite late.....seems to be 3-4 hours. The ship waited for us. I would guess transporting a whole bus load to the next stop wouldn't have been feasible.

[quote=While Princess usually has ship time match the port this isn't always true. And if your smart phone decides to use the wrong time you can have a problem. Haven't seen runners after the ship sails in a while but have seen the ship wait for large tour groups many times.

Many people no longer wear watches. I'm only familiar with iPhones, but it's easy to keep it from changing the time.

Go to Settings, to General, to Date and Time and turn off Set Automatically. You can have data turned on and time will stay where you put it.

Androids may have the same feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app