earliest embarkation for avalon in amsterdam

kiwixmas

we have done several Avalon cruises, generally you will be given details of a meeting place to leave luggage and later taken from there to the ship. it will be a hotel in the departure city. you could leave your luggage there on arrival and then do what you like until its time to board.

or you could check with Avalon where their docking position is likely to be, it can vary.

your documents will detail boarding times etc, usually late afternoon.

have a good cruise.

I would assume that if you are not taking a transfer to the ship (generally from a pre-cruise extension or an airport transfer) you can arrive quite early. Generally, particularly if the embarkation port is not a major airport hub there will be many people departing the previous cruise for early flights. They put all the new luggage in one spot, and you can stay in the lounge or go back to town as you wish. Your room isn't guaranteed until the embarkation time (usually 3 PM).

I would assume that if you are not taking a transfer to the ship (generally from a pre-cruise extension or an airport transfer) you can arrive quite early. Generally, particularly if the embarkation port is not a major airport hub there will be many people departing the previous cruise for early flights. They put all the new luggage in one spot, and you can stay in the lounge or go back to town as you wish. Your room isn't guaranteed until the embarkation time (usually 3 PM).

This is true for some river cruise lines (like Viking), but Avalon doesn't generally work that way. As a previous poster stated they have all arriving passengers meet at a hotel and then transport them to the ship at a specified time. This applies to passengers doing the cruise only portion of the trip (with or without Avalon's air or transfers) as well as those that have done a precruise land stay. There have been several reports on these boards from passengers that went directly to the ship and were not allowed to board until the designated time.

the best answer maybe via your travel agent or wait for the documentation to arrive.

Avalon has used a number of hotels in Amsterdam over the years.

it is often the same hotel used for pre/post stays which will be listed online or in brochures.

we have travelled to Amsterdam many times by train or by plane and its easy to get around.

we were last there in November on a river cruise with APT which was a delight. we were pleased with the service and could board the ship in Budapest at our convenience from our hotel.

we love river cruising and look forward to more in the future.

thank for all the replies!!

I am probably getting ahead of myself and will and wait and see what pans out !!!.

we arrive from stockholm by plane( on the morning?? of departure) after a batlic cruise of 14 days as part of our holiday and we received $4000.00 per couple air credit from avalon which is pretty good, :) but booked last may! and just paid our final payment to avalon last week .

I had our TA ask about the hotel as we are meeting up with friends in Amsterdam (our 1st night is in a hotel as part of Avalon's package). The response was that they are not entirely sure - and it could change. We sail in May.

I expect documents will be sent out about 4 weeks in advance - at which point you will know for sure.

Fran

thank for all the replies!!

I am probably getting ahead of myself and will and wait and see what pans out !!!.

we arrive from stockholm by plane( on the morning?? of departure) after a batlic cruise of 14 days as part of our holiday and we received $4000.00 per couple air credit from avalon which is pretty good, :) but booked last may! and just paid our final payment to avalon last week .

I'm assuming since you have the air credit from Avalon you are booking your air through them. If so they will pick you up at the airport, transfer you to the hotel where you can leave your luggage and go do what you please until the designated time. At that point you can return to the hotel and they will take you to the ship or you can make your own way to the ship after the designated boarding time and they will transfer your luggage.