Tips at the Beginning of the Cruise Plus Solo Traveler Tipping

ChiCruiser758

I've been cruising since the mid-80's (I started young), and I found that I normally get much better service if I give a tip at the beginning of the cruise, to show I'm a good tipper. I normally leave a note for the cabin attendant with a small request (for a robe, extra towels, etc.) and leave a $10 or $20 bill. (In the "good old days" I used to tip $20 for the attendant to deliver a deck chair to my balcony. Apparently those days are long gone. <sigh>) I've found I usually get excellent service. I think I got this idea from CruiseCritic many years ago. Note: I also try to be very appreciative, and to remember to say "Please" and "Thank-you."

Also, depending on the service, as a solo traveler, I tip extra to the cabin attendant at the end of the cruise. I normally cruise alone, so this extra tip is to reflect the fact that the cabin attendant has to work just as hard for one person as for two, but the automatic tip only reflects one person. I try to figure out how much of the $13.50 per day goes to the cabin attendant, and over the course of the cruise, tip him/her at least this much extra.

Does anyone else do this? I assume some do, but I don't know how widespread this practice is.

Also a question--I am going on my first 14-day cruise on April 6--Transatlantic to Southampton. Among people who tip extra, do you tip half at the end of the first week, or tip the whole extra amount at the end of the cruise?

I don't feel the same responsibility to tip dining personnel double, because it doesn't take double the work to help a single traveler. However, if a specific waiter/busboy/drink attendant, etc. has given unusually good service, I will give them an extra cash tip beyond the automatic tip. It is similar for a Maitre'd or a Captain. I tip them only if they have given me special service beyond simply showing me to a table. I always choose Anytime dining so there are fewer chances for special service compared to Traditional dining.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I only tip extra at the end of the cruise. I tip extra only for exceptional service. I have generally received from very good to excellent service from my stateroom steward, and I don't believe it is necessary to tip extra at the beginning in order to receive excellent service.

Nope. Never tipped until the end of the cruise unless I know the waitstaff or steward is disembarking during the cruise. I'm neat, keep my cabin super clean (I'm far from a neat freak at home) and ask for little. I almost always tip something at the end of the cruise.

I've always felt that if you tip at the beginning of the cruise, you'll never know whether your steward was treating you specially or not. I'd like to think that stewards treat everyone the same as no one is more important or special than anyone else regardless of whether they pre-tip or not.

We never tip at the beginning of a cruise unless we have requested something that takes additional time on embarkation day.

On our transatlantic cruises we do extra tipping at the end of the entire cruise.

On b2b cruises we tip any extra at the end of the first segment.

On our first cruise we tipped at the start and felt that we got mediocre service and regretted it. Since then we have received excellent to incredible above and beyond service without a tip up front, and tipped very nicely at the end. Of course the first mediocre steward would have most likely not been any different without the pre tip but we feel better now only tipping after some extra service has been provided. We always pre pay our auto gratuities so I am talking about money on top of that.

I've been cruising since the mid-80's (I started young), and I found that I normally get much better service if I give a tip at the beginning of the cruise, to show I'm a good tipper.

Do you also get better service at home if you tip at a restaurant before ordering your meal? Or if you tip a cab driver at the start of a ride?

Giving money at the beginning of the cruise is called a bribe not a tip. Giving money at the end of the cruise for good service is a tip.

As a single traveler on many cruises it has never occurred to me to tip extra for the non-existent second guest in the room.

Giving money at the beginning of the cruise is called a bribe not a tip. Giving money at the end of the cruise for good service is a tip.

As a single traveler on many cruises it has never occurred to me to tip extra for the non-existent second guest in the room.

So far, the best and most helpful answer for the OP. I would also think to tip extra for a solo (of course I have never sailed solo).

I only tip at the start of the cruise if I make a special request, like can you make sure I have ________ everyday of the cruise. If I make a request that is over and above I will tip prior. I then tip after to reward excellence, if deserved (so far all but once).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is funny that the tipping culture is so much more in the US than it is here in the UK. I prefer to leave the auto tip on and then can enjoy my cruise and not worry about such things. If the cabin steward or someone has been particularly helpful during the cruise I give them a little Thank You card with a few extra dollars in it.

I travel solo all the time and would never tip double because there is only me in the cabin.

In Japan it is an insult to give a tip.

Regards and happy cruising.

I couldn't agree more. Further more I find it awkward to pay for service that hasn't happened yet. It's like buying a slave. With that said, if I request extra conditioner/soap or an extra towel for my wife I will tip the person who brings those items. We are very considerate and don't leave a mess. We make sure all of the surface areas are clear so that it's easier for them to wipe them down. We aren't high maintenance, don't need towel animals, idle chit chat ( which some confuse for good service) or our a$$ kissed. We tip at the end of the cruise as long as the basic service has been met.

We give the steward extra at the end of the cruise but something special (not cash) during the trip. You'd be surprised to see the difference in service sometimes when doing so.

Do you mean like... leave some English chocolate or something?

British Chocolate, English muffins, English real ale might all be great products, but I suspect it's something tacky like a T-shirt or fridge magnet.

I guess that's your idea of a valued gift but not mine.

We only provide things that are appreciated by everyone. :cool:

+ cash at the end of course. :D