Mount Roberts-trail to the top

Shaver John

We are traveling on the Grand in May, and stopping in Juneau of course. We have been there many times, taken the tram to the top of Mount Roberts but this time are thinking of taking the trail to the top. Anyone having done this in May please let me know-

Was it muddy?

Did you need hiking boots?

How long did it take you?

We plan to take the tram down, I understand that you have to spend $15 each at the top to get the tram back down, not sure if that is true but I have read that.

Thanks for your response.

I saw a you tube video someone made coming down. It looked like it could be slippery if the conditions are wet which is unpredictable in May. Our last cruise there was in late May and it was dry and warm; but who really knows? My adding the information didn't work but there is a change which makes the trek about 4 miles up.

Edited by LarryL

We did this cruise in mid May last year and yes the trail is not a maintained trail you would find in a park. That said it is easily navigated as long as you are in decent shape. Hiking boots would be great but we just wore running shoes and didn't have any problem. There were a number of people that were actually running the trail with their dogs. The worse portions were a little muddy and slippery but again certainly doable.

We did the exact thing you are planning - walked up and then had lunch and took the tram back down - and yes - you just have to ask about spending the $15 to get the tram. We had some of the best halibut of the entire trip up at the top.

We got a map from the Visitors Centre just outside the dock and they confirmed about spending $15 to get the tram ride.

Enjoy.

I have done that trail up to MOunt Roberts many times and in each month of the year that the ships are there. Yes, it can get muddy at times, but I always bring an old pair or runners from home and when done walking the trail, and back to the ship, I put them in a bag and throw them away. Works perfect.

If you want to walk up and take the tram down, just buy something in the gift shop at the top for 10.00p.p and show your receipt...

have fun, as it is a wonderful hike............ and just think how many desserts you can have once back on baord!! LOL :D

During our Grand Princess Alaska cruise in May 2015 we did the Mount Roberts hike to the top. Took the Tram up and just kept walking until we were to the top. Weather was gorgeous, sunny, warm/hot and dry and only an occasional bank of snow. We were sure we would have cold/wet weather in May for an Alaska cruise but boy did we get a pleasant surprise - beautiful and sunny the entire week. So, you never know from week to week or year to year! Just plan on taking the tram up and play it by ear! It was breathtaking!

Brian

Unless it hasn't rained in a long time. The trail will be muddy , wet and slippery. I personally won't do the trail July and also depends it rained last.

It always rains. Benn on 12 cruises in thst 12 years stopping in Juneau each time. I would not buy tram tickets ahead. Wait till you get there. Often the clouds cover the mountain top and there is zero view. Weather changes quickly duting the day I would wait and see

It always rains. Benn on 12 cruises in thst 12 years stopping in Juneau each time. I would not buy tram tickets ahead. Wait till you get there. Often the clouds cover the mountain top and there is zero view. Weather changes quickly duting the day I would wait and see

We have had beautiful weather in Juneau in May, so it doesn't always rain. That said we've been greeted by snow on the ground at the upper tram station on more than one occasion. One year it was knee deep. We haven't hiked from sea level to the upper tram station, but we have hiked from the upper tram station to the top. It's a beautiful view, but can be quite muddy if not snowy.

I agree about waiting until you get to Juneau to buy your tram ticket. The price is the same at the station as it is on the ship.

My wife and I have hiked this trail and the various comments are accurate. You can easily get lost hiking above the tram if the visibility is poor, the trail will usually have some muddy areas, there can be lots of snow above the tram, sometimes they check tickets for the ride down(but not always, 99.8% of the tram riders go both ways), check summitpost for info on trails and peaks near the various ports...search hiking the inside passage cruise! Gastineau Peak is the first mountain you reach...Mount Roberts is a lot further back up the ridge.