Alaska cruisetourw/ land before cruise.

nanabananna

Hello! One my land portion of the cruise we are able to send our ship luggage ahead before we actually board a week later.

I would like to purchase in Fairbanks, sodas. I am able to send these sodas ahead with the luggage to have on the ship? Since we are allowed to take sodas on board I don't want to purchase and have to lug these with me from lodge to lodge on land.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

These can be purchased and waiting for you on the ship the first day. Of course, that doesn't help if you if you don't like any of them. :(

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale.

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

Peg

These can be purchased and waiting for you on the ship the first day. Of course, that doesn't help if you if you don't like any of them. :(

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale.

http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

So about $2/can. Ouch. For that price, I would bring my own on board too and save my money for more fun things. :p

Hi Sandra,

Peg

I am debating the soda and more, which I like ok, but my go to soda is Diet Dr. Pepper!! Might just have to buy a small pack to have my daily fill!! LOL I am so excited now...having to stop myself from packing, but enjoying trying to get all ready.

Soda in Alaska is not cheap!

Having lived there quite a while, even recently, I can assure you it is nowhere near the price of $2/can in a supermarket. A quick check of Safeway in Anchorage shows $3.49 for a 6-pack of 1/2 liter bottles. That is under 60 cents a bottle for more ounces than Princess charges per can for buying 6 and their cans are only 12 ounces. :)

Having lived there quite a while, even recently, I can assure you it is nowhere near the price of $2/can in a supermarket. A quick check of Safeway in Anchorage shows $3.49 for a 6-pack of 1/2 liter bottles. That is under 60 cents a bottle for more ounces than Princess charges per can for buying 6 and their cans are only 12 ounces. :)

Wow! That's awesome? How much does bubble wrap cost? And how much is the transportation to get to a Safeway in Fairbanks from the Princess Lodge?

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

I am debating the soda and more, which I like ok, but my go to soda is Diet Dr. Pepper!! Might just have to buy a small pack to have my daily fill!! LOL I am so excited now...having to stop myself from packing, but enjoying trying to get all ready.

Yeah, I'd rather have the cans. You can keep them in your room. :) If you find any cheap regular Dr. P, let me know!

When you get to your first lodge you will be given some "Meet Me Onboard" tags. You fix these tags to the luggage you want sent ahead to the ship. These bags are collected from the hall outside your room on the morning after you arrive at your first lodge.

Our first lodge was at the Fairbanks Princess Lodge. There is a shopping center about a mile from that lodge with at least a Fred Meyer store. We bought our soda there and put it in a duffel and sent it as part of our Meet Me Onboard luggage. All was in our ship's cabin when we boarded at the end of our land tour 6 days later.

Wow! That's awesome? How much does bubble wrap cost? And how much is the transportation to get to a Safeway in Fairbanks from the Princess Lodge?

Just did a random quick check. But they are plastic bottles. You can buy cans for a similar price. But cans can more easily dent and explode than plastic bottles. Both Safeway and Fred Meyers are within walking distance of the Fairbanks Princess Lodge. Guess you have never been there:rolleyes:

Edited by frugaltravel

Just did a random quick check. But they are plastic bottles. You can buy cans for a similar price. But cans can more easily dent and explode than plastic bottles. Both Safeway and Fred Meyers are within walking distance of the Fairbanks Princess Lodge. Guess you have never been there:rolleyes:

Walking more than three miles carrying two six-packs of soda makes me want to give up soda. :') :loudcry:

Hello! One my land portion of the cruise we are able to send our ship luggage ahead before we actually board a week later.

I would like to purchase in Fairbanks, sodas. I am able to send these sodas ahead with the luggage to have on the ship? Since we are allowed to take sodas on board I don't want to purchase and have to lug these with me from lodge to lodge on land.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Assuming your tour starts in Fairbanks, then yes, the sodas could be in a suitcase you are sending on to the ship.

With the treatment that luggage gets being loaded on and off trucks, there is always the chance a can or two might burst.

And, as someone else mentioned, soda in Alaska is not cheap.

This came up on our AK cruise many moons ago...

The net net, yes you can. They will give you additional meet me onboard tags on request.. The soda has to be in some form of luggage (they MIGHT take a sealed case but I wouldn't go that route. Carry a large ziploc bag and wrap soda in it just in case. Plastic bottles are recommended. The soda will be tossed none too gently onto a large truck, driven a considerable distance, be stored in a possibly un-climate-controlled warehouse and then go through the ship luggage process. It's going to get beat up a bit. Bottles handle it better AND when being opened are less likely to turn into fountains if you are careful.

Obviously from your posts on this thread you are a glass-half-empty type person. I am a glass-half-full type person. Good riddance!

OMG--I made simple post about a soda question and some people get their panties in a wad for another poster just making a fun, not serious commit. Come on--life is to short not to enjoy.

Edited by nanabananna