Breakfast question.

atj1971

There is a buffet station that makes omelets to order. You can ask them to use just egg whites there, and it comes out pretty good.

If you wanted fresh eggs prepped any other way, they also have them as well. Just ask and they get them from the cooler for you.

There is a buffet station that makes omelets to order. You can ask them to use just egg whites there, and it comes out pretty good.

If you wanted fresh eggs prepped any other way, they also have them as well. Just ask and they get them from the cooler for you.

As funny as it sounds, an omelette station is exciting to me. I'm glad I can participate with the egg white option.

Hi there

I really like the fried eggs or omelets, but very often there is a long line that I am not willing to wait for, so I will just find something else.

The key to not waiting in long lines is not being where everybody else is. If you find the lines are always long when you get there, try getting there a little earlier. Very often just looking at one of the other stations is all you need to do.

enjoy your eggs

have a great cruise

Hi there

The key to not waiting in long lines is not being where everybody else is. If you find the lines are always long when you get there, try getting there a little earlier. Very often just looking at one of the other stations is all you need to do.

enjoy your eggs

have a great cruise

Or go to the dining room where you can wait sitting down with a cup of coffee and juice. :D

MDR is the best place to go for eggs anything. Lido buffet uses imitation eggs like egg beaters for the scrambled eggs. The omelet station though uses real eggs and like others have said you can request an egg white omelet. The omelets there are pretty good but if you wait till everyone else is up and lines get kinda long.

MDR you can have them prepare your eggs any way you like and in egg whites also. You don't have to order just what's on the menu. If you want a 10 egg omelet with everything in it, then order it and they will make it. Scrambled eggs in the MDR are real eggs and they are good. Have them add cheese to it or add things like onions bell pepper, mushrooms or what ever and they'll do that too. How ever you want your eggs in the MDR they will make it.

Our first cruise we didn't discover MDR breakfast till the 5th morning. The waiter said if you don't see what your looking for on the menu just let him know and he'll make it happen. So it was 4 egg omelet with the works and a stack of French toast. The French toast is way better then Lido buffets too.

So there's a line, and you have to wait...for freshly prepared egg white omelets. I never understood why some people put the emphasis on the "waiting" - this is true at the Mongolian BBQ as well. The food is prepared fresh, so yes, there's a "wait" - Obviously if you're in a rush, you don't go to either, but otherwise, I don't see the issue. And yes, I wait (patiently) for both.

Real egg whites on the omelet station, prepared fresh.

powdered eggs and egg substitutes

I think that's a stretch. The majority of food service industry uses pasteurized eggs that come in a milk-carton like container. This is done to create a food-safe product and reduce the risk of salmonella from raw and unpasteurized eggs.

When cooking for very large groups (this ship is a floating hotel) it is cost-inefficient to pay someone to crack 2,000 eggs each day for breakfast. That is why pasteurized, containered eggs are used.

If you're discussing the quality of the scrambled buffet eggs, you should note that the eggs are usually scrambled and then baked in an oven to cook them. Doing this changes the texture from what you might be used to by frying your eggs in a pan with butter/oil/or a fat.

If you want that pan-fried texture and taste, then hit the omelette stations for your own personal eggs. But let's be real in that buffet eggs are not powdered or fake eggs.

I think that's a stretch. The majority of food service industry uses pasteurized eggs that come in a milk-carton like container. This is done to create a food-safe product and reduce the risk of salmonella from raw and unpasteurized eggs.

When cooking for very large groups (this ship is a floating hotel) it is cost-inefficient to pay someone to crack 2,000 eggs each day for breakfast. That is why pasteurized, containered eggs are used.

If you're discussing the quality of the scrambled buffet eggs, you should note that the eggs are usually scrambled and then baked in an oven to cook them. Doing this changes the texture from what you might be used to by frying your eggs in a pan with butter/oil/or a fat.

If you want that pan-fried texture and taste, then hit the omelette stations for your own personal eggs. But let's be real in that buffet eggs are not powdered or fake eggs.

And just because they come in a carton doesn't mean that they are Egg Beaters, either;).

Yep, this.

Also It was a couple years ago on this forum that they were discussing this very same topic on whether the scrambled eggs in the Lido buffet were from powdered or real eggs or egg beaters. Pretty long thread if I remember and a couple chefs or kitchen crew that worked on one of the Carnival ships came on anonymously and posted pictures of the behind the scenes of what they use. It was egg beaters cartons. I call them imitation cause just personal preference they don't taste the same. They may be pasteurized eggs but it just tastes different.

Now campfire eggs can never be beat. Not that you can do that on a cruise ship. Lol.

Yep, this.

Also It was a couple years ago on this forum that they were discussing this very same topic on whether the scrambled eggs in the Lido buffet were from powdered or real eggs or egg beaters. Pretty long thread if I remember and a couple chefs or kitchen crew that worked on one of the Carnival ships came on anonymously and posted pictures of the behind the scenes of what they use. It was egg beaters cartons. I call them imitation cause just personal preference they don't taste the same. They may be pasteurized eggs but it just tastes different.

Now campfire eggs can never be beat. Not that you can do that on a cruise ship. Lol.

The taste difference is due to low to no fat in the cramble, the fact the there's little protein-to-pan contact, and that they're baked in a large stainless baking pan.

This method completely changes the texture and the lack of hot fat changes (butter) changes the taste profile.

Campfire eggs are great because you're likely using hot bacon fat. There's only one way to get that flavor; bacon fat in a cast iron skillet.

Enjoy! Now let's discuss a perfect burger and it's attributes. My personal fave is when I grind my own brisket to make burgers. Best fat to meat ratio and best meat flavor by far. We don't buy ground meat anymore. We make it ourselves.

Not only can you get an egg white omelette (or a pretty dang good loaded regular omelette), but you can also get real scrambled eggs there instead of the "so called" eggs on the buffet.

I've seen people ask for scrambled eggs at the omelette station but they were told they had to get the scrambled eggs from the regular buffet.

I've seen people ask for scrambled eggs at the omelette station but they were told they had to get the scrambled eggs from the regular buffet.

That is interesting, I have never had an issue and usually get them at least one time each cruise. I would probably ask to speak to the chef in charge of the area for an explanation.

As other posters have listed above, they consistency of the eggs on the buffet are just not appealing to me.. I like fresh scrambled or fresh fried eggs.

• 2 weeks later...
Does Carnival offer egg white omelettes? I am not a fan of an omelette unless it is with egg whites.

TIA for your answers

Happy Sailing!! :cool:

Yes, my husband gets them every day on every ship that we are on from the omelette station in the center of the Lido Buffet! He says they are delicious!

I had scrambled eggs at the omelet station for 14 days in a row. No one even suggested I eat the crap on the buffet. They are definitely not Egg Beaters, I don't care what you saw on the internet. Egg Beaters are egg whites with yellow coloring, I serve them at my restaurant. They taste nothing like eggs, personally i think they are awful. I am not saying the buffet uses fresh eggs, most likely liquid by the gallon. It's the choice of most caterers.