Tips and Suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

Travelbug321

Hello everyone! My fiancé and I will be on the Epic on April 30 for our honeymoon. We just upgraded to a balcony and are so excited as this will be our first time cruising AND going to Europe. I've been planning and doing my research for ports and excursions, but was wondering if anyone had some suggestions or advice to offer us?

Our Itinerary is: Barcelona, Naples, Civitavecchia (Rome), Livorno, Cannes, Palma de Majorca, Barcelona - and from there we will head up to France on our own. We're both 30, no kids, we're budget conscious - but don't mind a splurge here and there, and we love trying new foods! Really, ANY advice you want to give us will be welcomed with a smile!

I was looking forward to ordering lobster (we have the 3 night specialty dining package), as this isn't something we can typically afford - but was disappointed to read that they're no longer offering this :(

Our balcony upgrade is a BF category (GTY balcony?) I'm honestly not sure what all of that means, our TA said we will most likely be on deck 8, aft or forward, I worry that we'll have a lovely view of lifeboats... thoughts?

We're looking forward to the Colosseum the most; we've booked a tour with Viator for the underground tour, and will be taking the NCL transfer (rome on your own) to get to Rome. I DID post on my Roll Call, but didn't have many responses as there are only 27 people. Does anyone have experience with this excursion? If so, what time should we expect to have to leave Rome?

Thank you in advance!

OP, You seem to have done your homework.

CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME), ITALY 6:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Downside is the distance and time between CIVITAVECCHIA & ROME;

the day will go fast.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Ancient-Rome-and-Colosseum-Tour-Underground-Chambers-Arena-and-Upper-Tier/d511-3731COLOSSEUM_SMALL

Our Viator guides/tours have all been good.

May I suggest, for Rome, bring a compass and a map.

I wish you the best !

Edited by $hip$hape

I have never been on the Epic, but a quick perusal of the deck plan suggests that if your cabin is well aft or well forward, you may be among the few passengers who are NOT looking straight down on the lifeboats! And be aware, cabins 8006-8020 (the first 8 or so forward cabins both port and starboard) are described as having "an enclosed PrivaSea balcony with an extended metal structure to protect from the elements." This sounds to me like what is sometimes described as a "cove" balcony. Google "Epic PrivaSea" balcony and see if you can get pictures. Whatever cabin you get, I am sure you will have a marvelous time -- it's your honeymoon, after all!

You will love it! My husband and I did a similar itinerary on the Epic in 2011.

In Livorno, I'd suggest you take Ship's transfer to Florence and walk around on your own. You may want to get tickets in advance to the museum there if that interests you. We just wandered around, had lunch at a cafe, had gelato and enjoyed the beauty.

In Naples, be sure to watch your wallets! We did a great tour of the fort/castle that is very close to port and also took a train the train to Pompeii. If this is a once in a lifetime trip, pay a little extra and take a tour from the ship that takes you to Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii. Well worth it!

In Palma, we walked around. Very easy to do from Port.

Barcelona was our starting point. We easily took the metro around. Don't miss Sagrada familia (must get tickets in advance) or the Gaudi locations.

Enjoy and congratulations!

Travelbug go to Rome in Limo website. There you can find tours you can share with others bringing the price down a lot. In Naples you can go to Pompeii & Poistano or Capri. InLivorno you can share a tour with Rome in Limo to Florence & see the leaning tower of Pisa.

travelbug, congratulations! I sailed the Epic last year and have her booked again for this fall. She seems to be a ship you either love or hate. I loved her! Also, go to the home page of this forum and scroll down to the Ports of Call section. You'll find information there for each of your ports with suggestions of what to do.

If you like food, then consider doing some research on Trip Advisor for restaurants. There's a tapas restaurant in Barcelona near Placa Catalunya that was amazing! :)

Take a look at reviews of the Epic and take the bad reviews and the over-the-top positive reviews with a grain of salt. The Epic is a great ship with tons to do. Be sure to check out the crepe station in the buffet in the evenings--SO good!

Have a wonderful first cruise!

Travelbug in Barcelona use Barcelona day tours for some tours. Look at their website. Just know NCL tours are expensive & packed. Rome in Limo tours are limited to 8 or so not 30-40 like NCL. So drink Limoncello drive thru Amalfi Coast & enjoy. I've done this cruise 6x's Rome in Limo is great company & so is Barcelona Day Tour. Try to see Montserrat Monastery in Barcelona too

You do know that a Guaranty room means the cruise company will pick the room, right? Just be prepared as the ones that sell last are those that have a challenge (eg., above a nightclub) and these are often the ones doled out as Guaranty rooms.

If this is a concern, talk to your TA - maybe you can pay up for an assigned room. Otherwise, just go and be prepared and neverthless enjoy as you will have a great time!

Congratulations! We did this exact itinerary on the Epic in November '15 and had a great time.

Glad you splurged on a balcony stateroom! It's great having that extra space, fresh air, and ability to relax on your own balcony! I just didn't like how the sink was outside, the shower was practically in the room. I'd rather have that all it its covered area. But otherwise, no big deal.

Naples - Walked around the immediate area of the city and there wasn't much to see so we went back to the port and got on the Hop on Hop off bus for $20 per. Took about 90-minutes to see the highlights of the city and the beautiful scenery. Otherwise, there wasn't much else in Naples.

Rome/Cittavecchia - Just pay the small fare for the shuttle bus that gets you to the train station and take the train into Rome, which didn't cost that much, about $7-10 per. We also did the Hop on Hop off bus there which was also about $20 per and got to see EVERYTHING! The Colloseum, Circus Maximus, St. Peter's Square, Vatican and Trevi Fountain. We left Rome around 3pm and got back to the port at about 4:30-5pm.

Livorno - Grabbed the bus to Pisa to see the tower, that's pretty much all that's there. There are a bunch of vendors on the walk there to grab some souvenirs, as well as McDonald's if you want wifi or a Big Mac.

Cannes - There was a little train (think Disneyland parking lot train) at the port that went around the city. Forgot how much it was, but it wasn't expensive by any means. Aftewards, we walked down the boardwalk and into town to look at the posh boutiques. It was quite expensive, even for food. I remember paying $18 for a tuna sandwich at a bakery!

Palma - There was a Hop on Hop off bus at the port but you have to get there early as there aren't many buses that go around. Gets you around town, lots of shopping, and cathedrals.

Overall, we saved money by not doing the excursions through as NCL as they were just so expensive, yet we saw all that we wanted! Just one tip, especially if you go on your own, is to be mindful of your return time to the ship, as it will leave without you; we've seen it happen.

Have a great time!

Congratulations! We did this exact itinerary on the Epic in November '15 and had a great time.

Glad you splurged on a balcony stateroom! It's great having that extra space, fresh air, and ability to relax on your own balcony! I just didn't like how the sink was outside, the shower was practically in the room. I'd rather have that all it its covered area. But otherwise, no big deal.

Naples - Walked around the immediate area of the city and there wasn't much to see so we went back to the port and got on the Hop on Hop off bus for $20 per. Took about 90-minutes to see the highlights of the city and the beautiful scenery. Otherwise, there wasn't much else in Naples.

Rome/Cittavecchia - Just pay the small fare for the shuttle bus that gets you to the train station and take the train into Rome, which didn't cost that much, about $7-10 per. We also did the Hop on Hop off bus there which was also about $20 per and got to see EVERYTHING! The Colloseum, Circus Maximus, St. Peter's Square, Vatican and Trevi Fountain. We left Rome around 3pm and got back to the port at about 4:30-5pm.

Livorno - Grabbed the bus to Pisa to see the tower, that's pretty much all that's there. There are a bunch of vendors on the walk there to grab some souvenirs, as well as McDonald's if you want wifi or a Big Mac.

Cannes - There was a little train (think Disneyland parking lot train) at the port that went around the city. Forgot how much it was, but it wasn't expensive by any means. Aftewards, we walked down the boardwalk and into town to look at the posh boutiques. It was quite expensive, even for food. I remember paying $18 for a tuna sandwich at a bakery!

Palma - There was a Hop on Hop off bus at the port but you have to get there early as there aren't many buses that go around. Gets you around town, lots of shopping, and cathedrals.

Overall, we saved money by not doing the excursions through as NCL as they were just so expensive, yet we saw all that we wanted! Just one tip, especially if you go on your own, is to be mindful of your return time to the ship, as it will leave without you; we've seen it happen.

Have a great time!

OMG Naples is the best port you go to Pompeii or Ravello or Sorrento or Poisitano or Capri. Don't ignore Naples do research. InLivorno look for shared tours.

We did the Epic Med cruise 2 years ago, what a wonderful time we had! I would highly recommend a wonderful tour company called "All around Italy Tours" . The tour guide Fabrizio was amazing! From Naples port we did the Amalfi Coast tour, and as honeymooners, you should really look into this tour! The coastal road was spectacular and the driver stopped off at many different spots for photo ops along the coast, winding our way to Sorrento and Positano. We walked down the amazing winding path to the beach in Positano and then headed to an incredible restaurant called Costantino's

Adding the trip advisor link for Ristorante da Costantino : https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g194863-d1163492-Reviews-Ristorante_da_Costantino-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

And this is the link for All Around Italy tours: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1916065-Reviews-All_Around_Italy-Rome_Lazio.html

Just google image "Positano, Italy" and see if this very romantic coastal town fits into your honeymoon plans

Enjoy your honeymoon and congratulations!

OP, You seem to have done your homework.

CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME), ITALY 6:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Downside is the distance and time between CIVITAVECCHIA & ROME;

the day will go fast.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Ancient-Rome-and-Colosseum-Tour-Underground-Chambers-Arena-and-Upper-Tier/d511-3731COLOSSEUM_SMALL

Our Viator guides/tours have all been good.

May I suggest, for Rome, bring a compass and a map.

I wish you the best !

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I think that's the same tour we've been looking at.

I have never been on the Epic, but a quick perusal of the deck plan suggests that if your cabin is well aft or well forward, you may be among the few passengers who are NOT looking straight down on the lifeboats! And be aware, cabins 8006-8020 (the first 8 or so forward cabins both port and starboard) are described as having "an enclosed PrivaSea balcony with an extended metal structure to protect from the elements." This sounds to me like what is sometimes described as a "cove" balcony. Google "Epic PrivaSea" balcony and see if you can get pictures. Whatever cabin you get, I am sure you will have a marvelous time -- it's your honeymoon, after all!

wow! thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me! I googled it and I see what you're saying. thanks again!

You will love it! My husband and I did a similar itinerary on the Epic in 2011.

In Livorno, I'd suggest you take Ship's transfer to Florence and walk around on your own. You may want to get tickets in advance to the museum there if that interests you. We just wandered around, had lunch at a cafe, had gelato and enjoyed the beauty.

In Naples, be sure to watch your wallets! We did a great tour of the fort/castle that is very close to port and also took a train the train to Pompeii. If this is a once in a lifetime trip, pay a little extra and take a tour from the ship that takes you to Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii. Well worth it!

In Palma, we walked around. Very easy to do from Port.

Barcelona was our starting point. We easily took the metro around. Don't miss Sagrada familia (must get tickets in advance) or the Gaudi locations.

Enjoy and congratulations!

Hi, Thank you so much for these tips! I was considering trying to do florence on our own, but I might look into the ship's transfer since it is a bit of a distance from port. I didn't even think about tickets for Sagrada Famiia - I'll get those asap! thanks a bunch!

I saw that you're going to France after your cruise. If Marseille is in your plans, I can tell you about the loveliest B&B we have ever stayed at there. We stay there every time we go see our son and his family in Marseille. I don't know whether naming it is a violation of rules here, but I'll try if you're going there.

travelbug, congratulations! I sailed the Epic last year and have her booked again for this fall. She seems to be a ship you either love or hate. I loved her! Also, go to the home page of this forum and scroll down to the Ports of Call section. You'll find information there for each of your ports with suggestions of what to do.

If you like food, then consider doing some research on Trip Advisor for restaurants. There's a tapas restaurant in Barcelona near Placa Catalunya that was amazing! :)

Take a look at reviews of the Epic and take the bad reviews and the over-the-top positive reviews with a grain of salt. The Epic is a great ship with tons to do. Be sure to check out the crepe station in the buffet in the evenings--SO good!

Hi, Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I will MOST definitely check out the crepe station, I didn't even know they would have one and you've just made my day!

We did the Epic Med cruise 2 years ago, what a wonderful time we had! I would highly recommend a wonderful tour company called "All around Italy Tours" . The tour guide Fabrizio was amazing! From Naples port we did the Amalfi Coast tour, and as honeymooners, you should really look into this tour! The coastal road was spectacular and the driver stopped off at many different spots for photo ops along the coast, winding our way to Sorrento and Positano. We walked down the amazing winding path to the beach in Positano and then headed to an incredible restaurant called Costantino's

Adding the trip advisor link for Ristorante da Costantino : https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g194863-d1163492-Reviews-Ristorante_da_Costantino-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

And this is the link for All Around Italy tours: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1916065-Reviews-All_Around_Italy-Rome_Lazio.html

Just google image "Positano, Italy" and see if this very romantic coastal town fits into your honeymoon plans

Enjoy your honeymoon and congratulations!

Hi! Thank you so much for this reply, it is exactly what we've been searching for and I will be looking into the tour. thanks a bunch

thank you! I didn't realize there was a forum for the ports, I appreciate it.

Hi

We have done this cruise twice. We don't like much doing things completely on our own -- always afraid we will get lost or off track. But also am usually not willing to pay the premium for private limo excursions, and certainly not the ridiculous overpriced cruise line excursions. In Naples, we have twice done Pompeii sorrento, amalfi coast with can't be missed tours. The regular bus tour. It was about 85 E pp, and the bus was comfortable, air conditioned and had wi-fi. https://cantbemissedtours.rezdy.com/index Very reasonably priced, and we thought well done. It included a tour guide at Pompeii who was very good. They also offer transport to florence and Pisa at a reasonable price.

You do know that a Guaranty room means the cruise company will pick the room, right? Just be prepared as the ones that sell last are those that have a challenge (eg., above a nightclub) and these are often the ones doled out as Guaranty rooms.

If this is a concern, talk to your TA - maybe you can pay up for an assigned room. Otherwise, just go and be prepared and neverthless enjoy as you will have a great time!

Hi, thank you for that info, we actually got upgraded and are very pleased with our cabin. Thanks again

I was looking forward to ordering lobster (we have the 3 night specialty dining package), as this isn't something we can typically afford - but was disappointed to read that they're no longer offering this :(

!

We've been on the Epic several times, and were able to get lobster at the Steakhouse (Cagneys) on the dining package. If I recall, you can also get lobster at the Bistro.

Have a really good cruise!

We've been on the Epic several times, and were able to get lobster at the Steakhouse (Cagneys) on the dining package. If I recall, you can also get lobster at the Bistro.

Have a really good cruise!

Oh good! I read somewhere (I don't recall where) that they were no longer serving lobster :eek:

I lived in Italy for 7 years. Always return there for vacations. So, Livorno there's nothing to see, go to Florence. But remember, it's far from the port.

Rome, Civitavecchia is far from Rome, take a hop on hop off bus in the central station piazza. You can see a lot in very little time. The colosseum is beautiful but inside is dissapointing, it's much more interesting from the outside. I wouldn't waist precious time there. If you have time go see the Vatican museum.

Naples, don't stay in this city, it's dirty. Take a ferry to Capri. Spend the day there. Go to Monte solare, go to Villa di San Michele, go to punta tragara hotel and take pics, or rent a boat and do island tour. Capri it's the most Beautiful place I have ever been, I went to Asia, middle east, South America, europe and North America. Have fun.