Passport Turn Around time

chasinraynbowz

We are taking our grandson on his first cruise on June 1 (in 8 weeks). His parents are finally getting around to getting his passport done this week. What is the current turnaround time, does anyone know? I am wondering if I need to pay extra to get it expedited.

I submitted my renewal over a week ago and it was to be delivered by 3/20. Still not there per the USPS tracking site. Filed a missing mail claim today. Aarrgghh!!!!

However, I read on another forum that you can search the US State Department site for a status. According to them, my renewal is "in process". Who knows???

That website for anyone interested in the status of their passport: https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp

I submitted my renewal over a week ago and it was to be delivered by 3/20. Still not there per the USPS tracking site. Filed a missing mail claim today. Aarrgghh!!!!

However, I read on another forum that you can search the US State Department site for a status. According to them, my renewal is "in process". Who knows???

That website for anyone interested in the status of their passport: https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_ip.asp

Sounds like they got it but someone missed a delivery scan. If you sent a check in for payment see if it has been cashed.

I had the card and upgraded to the book. I had the new passport in hand in less than 2 weeks, not expedited. I know it's a bit faster if you already have the card but they are running pretty good right now. 8 weeks should be plenty without expediting. You also put the date of travel on the application and believe it or not they are sensitive to that. Just make sure there are separate checks/money orders with each application that is sent in. When we originally got the cards I sent my families 4 applications in at once with one money order (post office did this for us). They decided to expedite the first application because there was extra money. Then they decided there wasn't enough money for the next 3 applications and sent them back. Total mess that took a long time to fix.

If it is "in process" then the application was received regardless of what the post office says.

Ours was back in 2 weeks (or less). You should have plenty of time. Remember, WORSE CASE scenario it's not back, a passport isn't required on a closed loop cruise anyway. However you shouldn't have to worry about that, you should have it back way before your sail date.

We are taking our grandson on his first cruise on June 1 (in 8 weeks). His parents are finally getting around to getting his passport done this week. What is the current turnaround time, does anyone know? I am wondering if I need to pay extra to get it expedited.

Ours took 3 weeks. And, you can check the state department's website to see where it is in the process.

While I am on of those that think a passport should be mandatory for foreign travel I don't make the laws and it is not my place to tell others what they should or shouldn't use to travel.

In your case might I humbly suggest obtaining a extra copy of the birth certificate just in case the passport is held up. Remember a copy must accompany the passport application. There can be delays. Grandson's was delayed because his mom sent the short form. Short form works for sailing but PP application needs the long form. By being proactive and having a copy of the BC on hand you ensure embarkation.

You didn't say how old your grandson is at the time of sailing. If he uses his BC and is 16 years or older he will need a photo ID. School ID works. Under 16 photo is not needed.

I do agree with others that posted above, there should be no problem getting it back in the 8 weeks you have but DIL needs to get it started sooner rather than later.

My grandson is 6 years old. We took his brother on his first cruise 4 years ago, now its this one's turn. If I think there is going to be any type of delay, my son and DIL WILLget me a certified copy of his BC.

I have cruised many times and am well versed on the laws as DH and I sailed several times without passports until we headed to Europe, then it was a requirement. I am just more comfortable having a passport for him... just in case.

Thanks for your input everyone. From reading, it looks like its between 3 - 4 week turnaround time.

My grandson is 6 years old. We took his brother on his first cruise 4 years ago, now its this one's turn. If I think there is going to be any type of delay, my son and DIL WILLget me a certified copy of his BC.

I have cruised many times and am well versed on the laws as DH and I sailed several times without passports until we headed to Europe, then it was a requirement. I am just more comfortable having a passport for him... just in case.

Thanks for your input everyone. From reading, it looks like its between 3 - 4 week turnaround time.

I got mine in 9 days. Needless to say I was shocked that it came that fast.

My daughter applied on 3/13/17, hers came today 3/28/17

I applied for mine on 3/17/17, mine is said to be here by 4/2/17 (according to the status website)

Seems we will be sailing with his birth certificate after all. My DIL called to make an appointment to get the passport paperwork processed and there are NO appointments until May. The application is filled out and the pictures have been taken. I knew they didn't have an appointment, but this has never been an issue. When we got ours, we called and made an appointment for later in the week. I can't believe they are making appointments for 5 weeks in the future. Its worse than trying to make a Dr's appointment. Lordy!!!

This is my fault though. We were due to sail originally in late July and decided to change the date to the first of June. Had we stuck with our original date, we would be ok. Oh well. It is what it is. I hope others don't wait like we did. 8 weeks should have been ok. We learned a lesson. I should have had them apply for his passport before Christmas!

Seems we will be sailing with his birth certificate after all. My DIL called to make an appointment to get the passport paperwork processed and there are NO appointments until May. The application is filled out and the pictures have been taken. I knew they didn't have an appointment, but this has never been an issue. When we got ours, we called and made an appointment for later in the week. I can't believe they are making appointments for 5 weeks in the future. Its worse than trying to make a Dr's appointment. Lordy!!!

This is my fault though. We were due to sail originally in late July and decided to change the date to the first of June. Had we stuck with our original date, we would be ok. Oh well. It is what it is. I hope others don't wait like we did. 8 weeks should have been ok. We learned a lesson. I should have had them apply for his passport before Christmas!

I would just try another post office. Surely there has to be appointments sooner than that. Right?

If not, just something to look in to, but I remember when my daughter was under 18 I had to show something signed and notarized from her dad saying I could take her out of the country. It's been a while ago but better to be prepared if that's still an issue.

We have checked with every post office in our area. They all have a long wait.

As for a notarized letter, I have one printed out for both of them to sign allowing me to take him out of the country and also giving me permission to seek medical help, should he need it.