Jewel to South Pacific in October 2017

jasmine3407

I recently came across this sailing, with only Inside cabins left. They are still a hefty price. What I am wondering is, does anybody know what there will be to do at these ports, once docked? I spoke to a HAL representative and they told me they didn't think any ship excursions would be offered in these places. Do these ports have their own private tours available at the dock? This itinerary sounds fantastic, but since the HAL representative told me it's a new itinerary, I wouldn't want to spend money on a pricey interior cabin if there would be limited options for what to do in port. Can anyone who is going on this cruise give me some insight?

HAL? :confused::confused:

I think you mean NCL..

I sailed the South Pacific in December 2014 and I would do my own research on excursions. Start by using the port of call boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

and also TripAdvisor helped me a lot. These islands are still pretty unspoiled, underdeveloped (hope it stays that way)

If i remember correctly, very few tour operators just standing by offering tours. Its something you have to definitely plan ahead for.

Majority of the tour operators will not have a website so you will need to contact them by email which should be avaiilavble on their TripAdvisor info page. It make take a day or two for them to reply so be patient.

You will probably tender on most of the islands so keep that in mind when planning as well.

For Bora Bora I will gladly recommend MAOHI NUI http://www.maohinui.net/en/lagon-et-festin-polynesien. Fill out the contact form and he will reply.

Good Luck and enjoy. :D

Edited by Georgie562

It's the cruise including French Polynesia, a 17-day sailing from Tahiti-Sydney. Ports will include:

Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia (EMBARK)---6:00 pmThuRaiatea, French Polynesia8:00 am6:00 pmFriBora Bora, French Polynesia8:00 am6:00 pmSatAt Sea------SunAt Sea------MonPago Pago, American Samoa9:00 am6:00 pmWedApia, Samoa Islands8:00 am4:00 pmThuAt Sea------FriLautoka, Fiji9:00 am6:00 pmSatSuva, Fiji8:00 am6:00 pmSunAt Sea------MonPort Vila, Vanuatu8:00 am6:00 pmTueAt Sea------WedNoumea, New Caledonia8:00 am7:00 pmThuIsle of Pines, New Caledonia8:00 am7:00 pmFriAt Sea------SatAt Sea------SunSydney, Australia (DISEMBARK)

You're right, Georgie. I have been to some islands in the South Pacific on land vacations, and I wasn't too aware of many independent tours being offered, such as to beaches, etc. I thought they might have specials for cruise passengers, who knows. The ports of call board has been informative, thank you.

Hello,

I've been to Suva, Port Vila, Noumea, and the Isle of Pines via cruise ship many times. Suva has independent tours which are fantastic, many options and I've heard it's the same for Lautoka. In Suva you dock right in town and can easily walk around the city. Tours on offer go to the schools, villages, beach resorts. There are also ample taxis available. Noumea has a tour office as you step off the ship at the wharf. A lot cheaper than what the ship offers and great tours. The ship docks at a yucky bit of town but the really nice bit is just around the corner. You can take a tour of the island, rent a moped, shuttle to a beach, golf, museum, so many options. Isle of Pines is a gorgeous beach island where you can snorkle and swim. We once did a tour into the town area and it was great, also not offered by the ship. It is just a lovely place to swim, snorkle and wander around in, a perfect place to rest. Vila is another great port. The ship docks by a market where there are plenty of taxis. There is a waterfall which you can climb and swim in not too far away via taxi. There are also nice resorts, villages, a cute town with plenty of food options and shops. Would save my souvenirs for this port as there are heaps of options. Bartering is not encougaged in Vanuatu, but go ahead in Fiji. All these places accept small Australian dollars and very very limited credit cards, so plan accordingly.

I suggest you find the roll call for this trip. Friends we met on a previous cruise is aboard on your segment as well as the previous one from Hawaii. I know the roll call is active and they have a number of excursions arranged.

Have a great time - wish we could go!

You could go to the Ports of Call area but I'd suggest the Paul Gauguin boards. Even though you are sailing NCL, the folks over there are experts and very nice and knowledgeable about independent tours.

FP is very remote and beautiful.