What are Oceania's boarding procedures?

chrismch

When we do our initial embarkation to the cruise how are we greeted in coming aboard? I know on other cruise lines we've been offered a glass of champagne when we board or a staff member carries our roll on luggage to the elevator. How does Oceania handle it?

The next question is the arrival in our cabin... Will robes and slippers be there or will we have to ask our cabin attendant for them? Is there anything I should be needing to ask him/her?

In the bathroom, are the soaps and shampoos in dispensers in the shower and tub or individually bottled?

What about when we return from an excursion? Will they have waters or lemonade for us at the gangplank?

I know these aren't earth shattering things I need to know, I just like to visualize what it will be like a being on the ship as part of the expectation enjoyment.

When we do our initial embarkation to the cruise how are we greeted in coming aboard? I know on other cruise lines we've been offered a glass of champagne when we board or a staff member carries our roll on luggage to the elevator. How does Oceania handle it?

The next question is the arrival in our cabin... Will robes and slippers be there or will we have to ask our cabin attendant for them? Is there anything I should be needing to ask him/her?

In the bathroom, are the soaps and shampoos in dispensers in the shower and tub or individually bottled?

What about when we return from an excursion? Will they have waters or lemonade for us at the gangplank?

I know these aren't earth shattering things I need to know, I just like to visualize what it will be like a being on the ship as part of the expectation enjoyment.

Staff members are on duty as you board the ship to direct you to the elevators and inform you of where you can get lunch (the Terrace or Waves Grill). They do not offer sparkling wine. I'm sure they would help you with your luggage if you are not able to manage it. You will have to take it with you to wherever you spend your time until your cabin is ready; announcements will be made; the cabins are generally all available after 3 PM.

Your robe and slippers will be in your closet. We generally like to make the acquaintance of our room attendant (and sometimes our butler) on that first day. I generally have her/him remove all the stuff from the minibar and stock it with Diet Coke, to which I have a slight addiction. Betsy tells them when she likes fresh ice.

The toiletries are all individually packaged. the upper cabins used to get Bulgari while the lower categories got a house brand; my understanding is that since our last cruise, all cabins are now getting Bulgari toiletries; I'll find out in January when we board to a category C ocean view.

They always have complimentary bottled water available at the gangplank when disembarking at a port; they often have water, and sometimes lemonade, available under a canopy upon return, depending on the weather. Sometimes they have staff with trays of warm or cool (again, depending on the weather) washcloths. The canopies will be either near the gangplank or on the dock at tender ports.

Occasionally, depending on the priorities of individual cruise directors, they will have officers and entertainment staff greeting you on your return. When it happens, it's nice; if it were to be a hard-and-fast routine at every port, it could grow old and look phoney, especially on port intensive cruises. I like it better when it appears to be spontaneous.

These things indeed are not earth shattering, but I fully understand the expectation quotient. However, if you are use to certain things, such as sparkling wine at embarkation, I hope you are not disappointed by Oceania. Wait until you realize you can have lobster every day in one form or another, twice if you like. Wait until you discover that you can order any drink you like at the Captain's Welcome Party, not just be stuck with the ubiquitous rum punch (although they have that, too). Wait until you discover that a good milkshake is one in which the straw stands tall because of the thickness. Wait until you have breakfast in the main dining room and discover you can order baby lamb chops. Wait until you experience afternoon tea; do it early, many are sad they didn't discover it until the end of the cruise.

I'm just touching the surface; Oceania will not disappoint.

1. You are directed to the Buffet with your roll on!! No one takes you to your cabin.

(Ours was steerage (!) a Veranda on deck 7)

2. Little bottles of shampoo etc and soaps are there but no choice of soaps is offered.

3. No drinks offered at the gangplank (Black sea cruise....... perhaps it is different in the tropics) Iced water is always available when you disembark at a port.

..... There is an umbrella in your wardrobe, and umbrellas are available at the gangplank as you disembark....just in case the weather is inclement.

Edited by Jay23

On embarkation in Monte Carlo week before last, we were greeted by a crew member wearing a white jacket and gloves at the bottom of the steps and he offered to carry my small carry on suitcase up the steps.

At the top, there were several crew members directing us to the Riviera Lounge for check-in.

No welcome fizz, but you have a bottle of chilled something waiting for you in your stateroom or suite.

Check in was carried out at desks by the stage for those familiar with the Layout. (We arrived around noon but could have checked in from 1100)

We had changed suite numbers so our original paperwork showed the old suite number, but I handed the girl the paperwork with our correct suite number on it explaining. Despite this she looked at the original paperwork, addressed us incorrectly, and then got all flustered and finally got it sorted. It was, of course, all in order, but because she had not listened to me, she got unnecessarily flustered. Anyway, she told us to go to the Terrace and wait for the announcement for our stateroom to be ready, and gave my DH a letter which tells you when your stateroom is ready and an announcement would be made. We should have read the letter there and then as we had no need to go to the Terrace, as she should have known and told us that we had the option to go directly to our suite, as that is one of the perks of booking certain suites.

So with our carry ons and this being the first time in this particular suite, and given this instruction, like good souls, we obeyed and headed on up and it wasn't until we had sat down at a table at the Terrace, and we read the letter that we realised we could have gone straight to the suite. No big deal, but when you have carry ons, your suite is as far forward as you can get, and the terrace is as far aft as you can go......:... Anyway, it was a decent walk and a lovely day, and we certainly were in no hurry ...... ;):D

We have never been shown to our stateroom/ suite on Oceania, but there are crew members to direct you. You also have a plan so it's no very difficult to find your way around and I'm sure if you needed help, it would be readily offered.

As we didn't really want lunch, we headed off to our suite to be greeted immediately by our butler who seemed to be hovering waiting for his guests to arrive. Maybe they are alerted that their guests are on board? He showed us around and explained as much or as little as we wished - it was always our choice and always "his pleasure".

The suite was beautiful and even Jim and Stan's photos do not do it full justice! ;):D

We ventured off the ship only once, so couldn't tell you if there was any welcome "home" any other time, but the one time we did return, only the security people who we find are quite surly.

Always small bottles of water as you leave for trips etc., and we did see the tents being erected quayside.

On disembarkation, no-one there to see you off, just a couple of crew members - that's a difference we noticed from Seabourn and Silversea where there seemed to be many senior officers and certainly the captain of the Seabourn ship to wish you safe onwards travels. But it's not a deal breaker as I'm usually still half asleep at throwing off time! LOL!

This voyage, compared to the Rivera TA last year, we immediately felt a totally different vibe to the ship, and it was clear to us that this came from the top down - a charming Captain, smiling and friendly officers with a very happy crew which in turn made it a thoroughly enjoyable experience for us and I'm sure everyone else on board.

So much so that we did the "onboard booking thing" for the first time ever!:D

Oh and if you want the milkshake Hondorner recommends, ask for a "thick shake" otherwise you will get one with only two scoops of ice-cream!! LOL! ;)

Edited to add: toiletries in individual bottles and bath robes/slippers hanging in your wardrobe.

Edited by fairbourne

Boarding time depends on the category of your cabin and will be shown in your final information that you will receive several weeks before sailing.

We boarded in Miami and I would have to think that it makes a difference exactly how things are handled when another port is your boarding point. I know the Monte Carlo port well and there are no gantries - or whatever they call those swing-out bridges - to get you up to the ship so you have to walk up the companionway (at least I think that is the term). That would account for the help from a crew member...depending on the tide it can be somewhat steep!

If you are in a suite - down as far I think as the Penthouse suites - you can board at 1100. If not you will have to sit and wait until your "group" is called OR there is a gap in the line to register at the desks. We were in an Oceania suite last cruise and were told we could board at 1100. We showed up at 1050 and found about 100 people already there, sitting and waiting. We filled out the medical questionnaire and were given a small ticket.

Promptly at 1100 our "group" - number on the ticket - was called and we walked straight to a desk. We were given a letter there from the GM which told us our suite was ready. We walked on board - didn't see any crew members as I can recall - and took the lift up to our suite. Shortly after we arrived the Butler and Stewardess came in to introduce themselves. We left our carry ons in the suite and went for lunch. We got back at 1230ish and our luggage was on the bed. Very very smooth process.

We heard announcements being made until about 1500 for people in other categories of cabins to go to their cabins. So I think 1500 is the latest all of them are ready.

We have mostly cruised Regent and we were very very impressed with the Oceania process. Regent is far more of a free for all and there are no priorities which means everyone waits... and sometimes waits a lot!

Edited by Hambagahle

One point ......you will only have a bottle of bubbly in your cabin if you are in Concierge & above the peons get none

In years gone by they did have someone take your carry-on aboard to the elevators & direct you to the Terrace for lunch

If board in Miami do not show up early or you will be standing outside until they allow your group in

We were allowed to board at noon, arrived to a long line outside...finally they were allowing people into the terminal only those in the cabins that could board early were processed others had to wait in the hard chairs

Edited by LHT28

I am actually happy to see that perhaps O has decided to clamp down on the boarding process. On our last cruise, there were people lining up as early as 7:30 trying to get in the Q for check-in and boarding. When we departed the ship, just around 9:00, there must have been over 200 people in the tent area waiting to embark. What are circus!!

This seemed to mirror our boarding experience. We arrived at 11:00, which was our boarding time, and found the arrival area jammed and people checking in. On board the pool area was already crammed with people. I'm confident that all those people were not in suites or even concierge room!

So maybe O is clamping down on the process to force people back on the published schedule, instead of allowing the free for all that appeared to be happening. Didn't realize that Regent allowed the circus. :eek:

those in the cabins that could board early were processed others had to wait in the hard chairs

Hard seats? really? How fortunate then, that the majority of Oceania passengers arrive at the terminal with seat padding of their own ;)

kimbum.PNG

- and yet another reason why the onboard dress code needn't be dictated by the styling dictates of the Kim Kardashian brigade. :eek:

Yes, that gangway is very high at Monte Carlo, but I'm sure if you would have difficulty with the steps, you would have another option to board.

It was all very civilised and my DH has just reminded me that the final announcement made for the last staterooms being ready was around 3pm. We only heard it as we were heading for our first stand tall milk shake! But there appeared to be no adhering to the official time of boarding for staterooms as people we chatted to when we went to the Terrace had their letter stating their stateroom would not be ready until 3pm. This was just after 12 noon which was the official boarding time for the PH staterooms, but The Terrace was already very busy, particularly outside, so clearly no restrictions or hard seats for waiting for this cruise!

Our disembarkation in Barcelona was civilised too - those with their own onward arrangements could disembark any time between 0700-0900 - we docked at 0600. When we left at 0815, all the luggage was neatly arranged in colour coded groups, so swift exit with no passport/immigration check and we were out to our waiting car. There were plenty of taxis available also for those who has not pre-arranged a transfer. It appeared the O transfers were departing timely as well.

Surprised at no passport checks, even for non-EU passports especially those blue ones! ;):p:D and what a difference to the absolute chaos that is Miami port!

I do not understand Oceania policy of publishing that one of the perks of the Suites, and then Concierge rooms, is early(ier) boarding, and then opening up the free for all at the docks. It can end up being confusing, even for those of us that have gone through the process before. Taxi line back ups and crowding at baggage check, when many are showing up 3+ hours earlier than their documents show. I'm not sure that being given "hard" seats, as one earlier poster said, isn't the proper way to get people to wait until their boarding time to show up. Current SOP appears to reward those that show up earlier than their documents indicate.

Yes Pinotlover it appeared to be quite the free for all, but to be honest apart from the hiccup of not being given the correct information that our suite was ready to go to right away, there was no queue for anything. It was just much much busier on board than we expected at that time.

As soon as we got out of our car, our luggage was whisked away, we entered the terminal building, completed the health questionnaire, through the security scanner and onto the ship. It was not until we reached the Riviera Lounge that we were asked for any documentation.

Our new world cards were swiped as we left the Riviera Lounge and that was the fastest and best checkin on Oceania we have experienced. Took about 15 minutes. Must be the port set-up because at Barcelona last year it was chaos. We arrived just after our designated time to find the waiting hall packed and people queuing in designated queues for stateroom categories with many more sitting on those hard chairs!

The check in was called by stateroom category and policed well, so you had to wait for your stateroom category to be called, but that, of course, did not stop the usual folk who just carry on regardless and were chancing their luck! But they were turned back and told to go back and wait in the correct queue.

On that cruise, there were several announcements for people not to go to the staterooms until their staterooms category was called as ready as I imagine they were just getting in the way of the busy housekeeping teams, so again people chance their luck!

Edited by fairbourne

When we board in Miami there will be a Coast Inspection and we're told not to arrive until 3pm. If we arrive then, should we expect an hour wait to board?We are in a verandah cabin.

Do I understand I can't even drop my carryon bags in the room until I'm called? I won't have a room keycard? I've always immediately dropped it in the room and usually put them in the bottom of the closet to keep it out of the way for the attendant doing an finishing touches on the room.

Note: Regarding "Captain's welcome aboard" parties on other ships. The unwritten secret for these parties is that you can ask the bartender (if it's done in a lounge with a bartender which is 99% of the time) for whatever drink you want. I happen to be partial to a good lemon drop martini and I have always received one without being asked for my cabin card or a beverage card.

Do I understand I can't even drop my carryon bags in the room until I'm called? I won't have a room keycard? I've always immediately dropped it in the room and usually put them in the bottom of the closet to keep it out of the way for the attendant doing an finishing touches on the room.

You'll be issued a key card at Check In, as usual, but the passenger cabin Decks are closed off until the Cabins on them are released.

b_051739.jpg In effect, the doors from the elevator lobbies into the cabin passageways are closed off, until the passengers for that section get the go ahead.

Hard seats? really? How fortunate then, that the majority of Oceania passengers arrive at the terminal with seat padding of their own ;)

kimbum.PNG

- and yet another reason why the onboard dress code needn't be dictated by the styling dictates of the Kim Kardashian brigade. :eek:

Oh goodie!! I hadn't planned on bringing that outfit with me, but looks like I can go ahead and throw it in my bag. Mercy :eek:

Note: Regarding "Captain's welcome aboard" parties on other ships. The unwritten secret for these parties is that you can ask the bartender (if it's done in a lounge with a bartender which is 99% of the time) for whatever drink you want. I happen to be partial to a good lemon drop martini and I have always received one without being asked for my cabin card or a beverage card.

At the Welcome party & reunion party you can ask for whatever type of drink you want ...not sure if the expensive scotchs or cognac is included but certainly other drinks can be had by asking the waiter

We have only traveled on O once, the Marnia, and had a PH1. I don't remember boarding early, around noon as I recall. We went to the Terrace and had a wonderful turkey dinner....all our cruises prior to that one were on Regent and Seabourn.....always easy to board.

Our next cruise will be on the Insignia Dec. 17th. We are in a C1. I looked at our Docs and our boarding time is 1300. I will try and get a late checkout with my hotel, however if I can't, I will show up and sit back, as a peon should, and wait my turn.....

Just wondering if they do anything for those in wheelchairs when embarking. Once on board and not in a suite are wheelchairs users expected to roll around while carrying their handbags for a few hours?

Do you have a travel companion that can handle your carry-on bag ?

You could always ask at reception to hold it until you get your cabin

If you have been warned that there will be a Coast Guard (or whatever) inspection and given a time to show up at the dock - respect that time. It is great that they warned you - once on Regent we arrived at Civitavecchia to board and had not been warned. Maybe they weren't either. And we sat in a tent for about 2 hours before being registered and then boarding. That is not pleasant.

As for the comment that Regent's boarding process has been smooth or similar - not my experience with the exception of one cruise. Usually we waited and waited. Were processed in order of arrival, which is OK, and then waited lots more (up to 3 hours) on the ship to get into our suites. Their procedure is that all suites - by which they include normal cabins and large suites - are accessed at the same time no matter when you have boarded.

We are also Oceania newbies, so this is great info on the boarding process. Does anyone have any experience with what time the concierge level cabins might be ready for occupancy? It looks like the suite guests can get into their cabins on the early side, with the other categories opened up later. We are hoping to be able to drop off our carry ons and leave the ship around 2:00 ish for a walking tour around Buenos Aires -- I may need to reschedule if we can't get into our cabin until 3:00. No big deal, just helps to be able to plan.

On our Marina cruise in August concierge staterooms were ready at 2PM- we had just finished lunch in the Terrace when it was announced- by deck. Luggage had not been delivered to the staterooms, but was lined up in the hallway.

The difficulty with Coast Guard inspections is not only late embarkation. The crew are not able to do their jobs during the inspection so cabins/suites will not be cleaned and ready for passengers until considerably later than normal (not sure what time that will be). We're going out to lunch in Miami and will stop by the port after lunch. It doesn't bother us to wait for a little longer while on board to go to our suite. As far as we are concerned, once we are onboard, the vacation begins. If we need to wait a while, we'll go to a lounge (if one is opened) have a drink and relax. We want to start our holiday relaxed -- not stressed because the suite isn't ready.

Actually, I have a ritual for unpacking. I open a bottle of champagne and sip it while unpacking (no, do not drink the whole bottle -- just enough to relax:-)

P.S. Not all inspections are planned. However, when the ship arrives in the U.S. after being abroad for months, there is always an inspection (or so I hear).

Edited by Travelcat2

We are also Oceania newbies, so this is great info on the boarding process. Does anyone have any experience with what time the concierge level cabins might be ready for occupancy?

In Miami we arrived around noon onboard shortly after

Our cabin was ready by 1:30pm

luggage was outside the cabin when we arrived

Times may vary depending on the port & the time it takes the cabins to be cleaned

Actually, I have a ritual for unpacking. I open a bottle of champagne and sip it while unpacking (no, do not drink the whole bottle -- just enough to relax:-)

Delighted to hear it, it's the only way to do it, and the dreaded re-packing! Unless you get your butler to do it of course, but TC2, we won't let on to the "peons" will we!!! ;):p:D. Aaah, how the other half lives in those Oceania top Suites! :eek: LOL!