Oceania Machu Picchu 4 day tour

patiolaterns

Would like to take this tour offered by Oceania before we start our cruise in 2017..

Interested in comments from fellow cruisers who have taken O's Machu Picchu tour. Pros and cons..........

Also, any problems climatizing to the altitude during the 4 day So?

Thanks

We did our own private tour (more like 6 days) before our Lima-NYC cruise last spring, not Oceania's so I can't comment there. However, I personally did not have any problems with the altitude although I expected that I might. I had the medication with me but didn't take it. Others in our group of six DID.

So it's a very individual thing. We were also in the Andes for a couple of days in 1989, when of course we were much younger. There, too, we didn't have altitude problems but we thought that we might on this recent trip simply because we were much older.

Drink coca tea! It tastes good and is very beneficial for a number of things. (Our guide told us it's excellent for weight loss as well ...)

Mura

We did our own private tour (more like 6 days) before our Lima-NYC cruise last spring, not Oceania's so I can't comment there. However, I personally did not have any problems with the altitude although I expected that I might. I had the medication with me but didn't take it. Others in our group of six DID.

So it's a very individual thing. We were also in the Andes for a couple of days in 1989, when of course we were much younger. There, too, we didn't have altitude problems but we thought that we might on this recent trip simply because we were much older.

Drink coca tea! It tastes good and is very beneficial for a number of things. (Our guide told us it's excellent for weight loss as well ...)

Mura

So where can I get coca tea in Los Angeles?!?! I need to shed [more than] a few pounds!

:-)

Hunding, I wish we could get it here but the U.S. Government is opposed to anything made from coca even though studies have shown that it is beneficial in many respects. Yes, it can be made into the drug cocaine but it has MANY other uses.

We bought some coca tea bags at a market in Lima but I doubt you can get it anywhere here. The tea bag version isn't anything like the tea made from the real leaves -- which fill your tea cup!

(I realize you were probably being facetious but it's a good question!)

At any rate, for anyone going to Peru I highly recommend a trip to Machu Picchu and the Andes. It's a gorgeous area and most fascinating. Wonderful handicrafts to purchase as well.

Mura

Would like to take this tour offered by Oceania before we start our cruise in 2017. Interested in comments from fellow cruisers who have taken O's Machu Picchu tour. Pros and cons.... Also, any problems climatizing to the altitude during the 4 day So?

Thanks

Quick side trips to Machu Picchu are typically very debilitating, but the issue is Cusco rather than Machu Picchu. The typical excursion involves a brief stay in Cusco at 11,000+ feet to acclimate and, then, a visit to Machu Picchu the next day. Since Machu Picchu is "only" at 8,000 feet and since 9,000 feet is the point where the medical problems start, you'll probably feel all right when touring Machu Picchu itself.

These comments are based on our experience cruising Puerto Rico to Valparaiso. We passed on visiting Machu Picchu, but took a multi-day excursion to the Galapagos. When everyone was back on board, there was lots of swapping of stories. The high altitude stories involved a headache ranging from tolerable to searing, but, even the racked-with-pain group agreed the discomfort was worth the experience.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Machu Picchu is worth a trip!

This said, we went to Peru with Escaped to South America, a company that tailors the trip to your specifications if you are not interested in their standard tour. I can highly recommend them. Compare the price to Oceania's and you will see that a private guide is less expensive and better than a hurried group tour.

Good to know:

Leave your large suitcase in the hotel in Lima or in the Sacred Valley. Ask that your first night in the highlands is in a hotel in the Sacred Valley instead of Cusco. The valley is at a slightly lower altitude compared to Cusco. The train from the valley to Aguas Calientes does not have space for luggage!

As to high altitude sickness/soroche, it is totally unpredictable. I have had it twice so bad that I needed medical attention. The small private clinic in Cusco was excellent - just in case you need it. The second time, I took all the necessary preparations and I got it again in Tibet. DH had a minor case in Peru and Ecuador, he was fine in Tibet at a much higher altitude.

Some hotels in Cuzco offer oxygen in your rooms (at a small surcharge).

It may be helpful to minimize the effects of altitude.

Machu Picchu (together with the Sacred Valley) is one of the top 5 places we have ever visited - well worth the trip.

We have been there twice and would gladly go again :)

Edited by Paulchili

We did Oceania’s pre-cruise overland tour and absolutely loved it. The Monastario Hotel in Cusco was outstanding, and only a short walk to the nearby museum’s wonderful small restaurant (I recommend the guinea pig!). Our “deluxe” tour to Aguacaliente/Machu Picchu included a very memorable round trip on the Hiram Bingham train, and it was worth the added expense: great food, drinks and entertainment. We also had an excellent guide, and of course everything except one dinner was included and exceptional. Worth every penny.

Some people can have altitude-related medical problems at lower than 8,000 feet, so check with your physician. Just say yes to coca tea.

-Sukey-

I did this tour in April using a local tour company Kuoda Tours. It was a group of 11 arranged thought the Oceania roll call forum. The tour and the guide were excellent and much less money than the Oceania tour, even after paying extra for premium hotels.

I only noticed the altitude in Cusco, and it was limited to minor shortness of breath when walking. Had to take a few deep breaths every 5-10 minutes, and had a bit of trouble sleeping the one night we were in Cusco. Several in the group were taking the altitude sickness medication, but most stopped because of the side effects. The main complaint I heard was a metallic taste in the mouth.

Sopwith, we used Kuoda Tours as well and our guide and driver were beyond wonderful. I couldn't figure out how Jesus always managed to shift absolutely smoothly on some of those incredibly hilly roads.

One day Alvin, our guide, told us that lunch might be as late as 3pm so would we prefer box lunches? We all agreed. Instead of box lunches we had a private picnic by a beautiful lake in the mountains. Alvin brought picnic tables and chairs, a tablecloth, real dishes and silverware plus home made salads. It was beyond wonderful.

FYI, Alvin freelances with other international companies as well (like A&K, etc.) but he prefers to work for Kuoda because (he said) Kuoda is the only native company run by Peruvians. As such they pay much higher taxes than the other companies that charge a lot more. So we were glad to be supporting a local company that provided such wonderful service.

Towards the end of the tour we had a problem with our four star hotel in Cusco and so Kuoda upgraded us to a five star for our last night in Lima.

Mura

All of the advice you have received here patiolaterns is excellent. I'd just like to add one comment. It seems to me that those who suffer altitude sickness worse in Cusco are those that arrive and then rush around to see the sights of this wonderful little town because they have only a small amount of time there. Chill out for the first day and you will benefit the next day.

However, no matter what the inconvenience you may or may not suffer, do not miss the opportunity to see Machu Picchu.

It seems to me that those who suffer altitude sickness worse in Cusco are those that arrive and then rush around to see the sights of this wonderful little town because they have only a small amount of time there. Chill out for the first day and you will benefit the next day.

Chilling or not, either you get it or you don't. Chilling helps but doesn't prevent it if you are susceptible like I am. Coca tea helps but didn't prevent it either. Don't drink it if you have high blood pressure, drink the local mint tea instead. (my Peruvian doctor's advice) Eat light, they have excellent chicken soup with quinoa and herbs. Going down to Ollyantambo and spending the night there is a very good idea.

People who do not have altitude sickness give lots of advice just like the people who do not get motion sickness. :rolleyes:

No need for that tone floridiana. I was just offering my thoughts.

I suspect she was directing that comment not at YOU specifically ...

As for me, I often will voice an "opinion" about something I haven't personally experienced just because I have seen comments here from others ... I choose to report those comments for others' info.

I do get seasick, but so far I have not had altitude sickness even though I thought I might on our recent trip to Peru.

But like most others, I don't report comments as FACT ... just my personal experience OR what others have reported. Okay, that's third hand info but third hand is better than no hand IMO.

Mura

• 1 month later...
Looking into carry on bag size for flight from Lima to Cusco Peru.

If someone has taken the Oceania 4 day tour could you tell me what airline you used to get from Lima to Cusco?

Thanks

When we took the post cruise tour in April 2014 we flew LAN round trip from Lima to Cusco. As advised we took only small back packs as carryon luggage and the balance of our luggage was sent on to the Country Club Hotel in Lima.

Edited by 2onboardagain

It's not long since we did this (last April although we were on a private tour,we didn't use O's pre-cruise) but I believe we flew with LAN. I had my normal carry-on of my computer bag and a shoulder bag. DH had a smaller carry-on (not a suitcase), more like a tote's bag.

I think in our case the tour operator took the suitcases on by car to Cuzco. So it was not a problem for us.

We packed so that we had small carry-ons for the train trip to Machu Picchu. Again, the tour operator took our other bags and held them for us. We never had a problem.

A very special trip!

Mura

I found you don't need to drink Coca tea, which can be problematic when you are touring. I suggest putting a lot of Coca leaves in your water bottle and letting leave them there for the duration. This way you get the benefits all day long, instead of in little bursts. We did this and had no problems at all.

• 9 months later...

We are booked on the pre cruise Machu Picchu deluxe trip. Apparently we fly to Cusco then are driven to the train station for the Hiram Bingham train to Aguas Calientes. Does anyone know what happens to our carry-on luggage when we get to Cusco? Do we have to lug it all the way to Machu Picchu or is someone going to take it to our hotel?

Having done the 5 day Machu Pichu trip including Cuzco, I second the idea of avoiding Cuzco and going directly to the Sacred Valley . Our worst symptoms were in Cuzco and the time in Cuzco took away from MP. If you stay in Agua Caliente you are at less than 7500 ft altitude which is a lot less than Cuzco.

Also note that the altitude is relative. Living at sea level 7000 ft is more pronounced that someone from Denver living at 5000 ft. It's all in the numbers.

We are booked on the pre cruise Machu Picchu deluxe trip. Apparently we fly to Cusco then are driven to the train station for the Hiram Bingham train to Aguas Calientes. Does anyone know what happens to our carry-on luggage when we get to Cusco? Do we have to lug it all the way to Machu Picchu or is someone going to take it to our hotel?

We are on this deluxe trip starting in a few weeks (Mid Oct.) I will let you know when we return from the tour to the ship and provide details.

silversmith,

We did the deluxe trip to Cuzco & Machu Picchu a few years ago with O. It was superb, and don't worry: Everything will be taken care of, including your luggage. The hotel in Cuzco was beautiful, MP was amazing to see, and the experience of the Hiram Bingham train was extraordinary, with great food and service. In fact, the food in Peru was among the best we've ever had.

-Sukey-