Must do's in St. Bart's, Tortola(BVI), Punta Cana, Nassau, Antigua(St. John's)

Dunner

This is our first trip on the Oceania line.

Our stops are San Juan, Grand Turk, Gustavia(St. Bart's), Antigua(St. Johns), Tortola(BVI), Punta Cana and Nassau.

We will be sailing on the Riveria. Any tips?

We are reasonably fit and active for being in our 60's (not compared to someone in their 20's-ha!)

What would you say are the must do's at each port. I realize that everyone has their own taste, but I am trying to get a feel for each location.

For beaches we like calm, pretty blue water, water that is shallow so you can walk out from the beach, some natural shade or umbrellas you can rent. Beach bars/music is a plus, bathrooms, snorkel from shore is a plus also, but not a deal breaker.

So far I am looking at the Dolphin Explorer Tour in Punta Cana and the Pacaya Volcano hike in Antigua. Have you been on these trips?

Any and all info will be extremely helpful!!

This is our first trip on the Oceania line.

Our stops are San Juan, Grand Turk, Gustavia(St. Bart's), Antigua(St. Johns), Tortola(BVI), Punta Cana and Nassau.

San Juan- rain forest or and shop Old SJ. endless stores. great prices at the coach store. two forts. I can walk from ship to the fort and part uphill. lovely lawn there with people flying kites all the time.

st barts- I snorkeled, shopped and you can walk to Shell beach for lunch and sit on the beach. about an hour is all you need .very hot.

Antigua-Nelson Dockyard-sightseeing, shop, 365 beach - ok places to eat. snorkeling

Tortola- besides beaches walk into Roadtown and have lunch at Pussers-drink Painkillers and have spicy wings. they have more food but i love the wings. Sopers Hole you could tax ithere- more shops and another Pussers but no wings.. look the name up and the menu.

nassau- only been to the fancy hotel to see it.

We will be sailing on the Riveria. Any tips?

was on the Marina once.. i do ont remember anythign but loving the PH cabin and not liking the set up at the spa. not a good floor plan.

So far I am looking at the Dolphin Explorer Tour in Punta Cana and the Pacaya Volcano hike in Antigua. Have you been on these trips?

Any and all info will be extremely helpful!!

I never hike Antigua- done snorkeling , shopping and eating.

St. Barts is a beautiful island. We rented a car near the port (Hertz, I think, but I forget) and drove around. We also drove up above the little airport there, where the small planes come very close to your head when they land. We didn't do like some people do (park right there and stand around waiting to be buzzed) but it was still fun, even for us older folks. The beaches there were nice as well, but we didn't stop to enjoy them.

In Antigua, a lot of people like (Admiral) Nelson's Boatyard. It was worthwhile, although no huge deal. We rented a car in Antigua and drove there and around the island. There's a beautiful viewpoint (Shirley Heights) that overlooks a bay. Antigua has a lot to do compared to many Caribbean islands.

In Tortola, we rented a jeep and had a breakdown and a bad experience. Don't rent from Hertz. The island is nice, though.

We loved San Juan, although were a little disappointed with rain the forest. (We visited with a friend who lives there, pre-cruise. Maybe we just missed something, though.) I'm a photographer, and I loved the old part of San Juan for photography. We mostly just took the trolley around the city, went to the fort, etc.

See my pictures from St. Barts, Antigua and Tortola here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/caribbean_cruise__jan_2010&page=all San Juan is covered in another album when we cruised on Celebrity.

Sorry, I'm not much of a beach person, but maybe that helps a tiny bit.

We never made it to Grand Turk due to a huge nearby weather event, but there isn't a whole lot there from what I remember researching. Maybe a simple beach day is in order for there.

Haven't been to Nassau or Punta Cana.

As for tips, I'd just recommend one: when you find your room/suite, notice which side of the ship it's on in relation to where the wall phone is located on your deck. That will help orient you faster when you get off the elevator or stairs and let you know whether to turn towards the side with the phone or away. Noticing what artwork is around the stairs will help clue you into whether you're at the aft or forward elevators.

Edited by roothy123

If you have not seen The Baths on Virgin Gorda I would highly recommend a trip there. There are ferries from Road Town in Tortola or you can take a snorkeling tour on a catamaran. The Baths are very unique. Google The Baths on Virgin Gorda and see if this would interest you.

San Juan:

Ship docks at the old town, beautiful restored old town with 2 forts. We took a tour but could easily have done it on your own. The tour included the Bacardi rum factory visit, not worth it because you visit a small museum not the actual facility on the same premises.

St. Barts:

Small and pretty French island, imho ruined by overbuilding with villas. Tender port, Swedish history, high prices. Once we walked around the harbor and up to the fort, looked down on shell beach. Another time we rented a car, drove on all the roads and found a beach that was not overrun and had parking. The car rental is located at the airport and the owner forgot to pick us up at the port. A nice taxi driver called him for us.

Third time was just before New Year's and all the billionaire's yachts were there, two with helicopters. We watched them instead of going ashore.

Ages ago, we vacationed on St. Barts which explains why we are now disappointed. People like it because it is very clean and devoid of poverty, only garbage we saw was a champagne cork. Visitors feel safe.

Some of my photos: https://animoto.com/play/fG0kFKFQPdFlKVANJhj8Gw

Antigua:

Gorgeous view from up the hill down on Nelson's Boatyard. It's the best feature of the island imho and one of the best views in the Caribbean. The town is funky, high poverty level. The island is known for its beaches, but I did not test them.

The Riviera is a gorgeous ship, great food, don't miss tea time!