Embarkation, disembarkation specific questions

Floppy McTurnriver

Hello,

Would like to pick the brain of past Oceania passengers specifically.

Will be embarking in rio on dec 7th. Official embark time given is 1pm.

The ship docks overnight and won't leave Until 8pm on dec 8th.

Since I want to maximize my day in rio on the 7th, how late do you think it is possible before I show up to embark? I worry they will close all the check-in desks if I come too late. Eg) 5-7pm

Hoping someone here has had similar experience on Oceania.

On the flip side, we are scheduled to disembark on dec 19th in buenos aires officially at 8am. i assume waiting till 9am to get off is not unreasonable?

Also, does anyone have experience disembarking in buenos on Oceania in specific? If I step off ship at 9am, do you think I can clear customs. And get luggage by 9:30am? I'm thinking the marina only hold 1250 passengers max and this cruise will definitely be undersold. Just trying to judge when to tell private driver to meet.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Much appreciated.

It would help if you mentioned the embarkation port

but usually if they close the check in desks you will check in on the ship if you arrive later

They want you off usually by 9am so not unreasonable to get off at that time

When you get the disembarkation forms a few days prior to the last day just put the time you want off

Not sure why you think the cruise will be undersold ??

Edited by LHT28

We have done the same cruise although three years ago.

In Rio the security guards at the port want to see ALL documents before they will let you on the pier. Have all the printed documents from your e-mail from Oceania and also your booklet handy. Obviously we travel under two different last names and I only had my e-mailed document handy and the guard would not let Frank on until someone from the ship came down and vouched for him. Things may have changed but better safe and sorry.

We did a day tour with a private van in Rio and got to the pier about 5pm and there was no problem checking in.

You must be off the ship by 9am and as I remember customs was quick. However be aware that you cannot check in at the BA airport until two hours before the flight. So if you arrive at the airport four hours early you will have to sit with your luggage for two hours. They are very strict on this. There are also few sitting areas so most people end up on the floor.

Debarkation in BA is the same for all lines. Once you get your luggage and pass immigration/customs you are on your own. It is chaotic and it would be preferable to have a car service with a sign. If you are staying in BA the day after ask your hotel concierge if they have a car service. Taxis are second choice since your taxi might be a Fiat 500 and you are carrying four huge bags!!!

We have done the same cruise although three years ago.

In Rio the security guards at the port want to see ALL documents before they will let you on the pier. Have all the printed documents from your e-mail from Oceania and also your booklet handy. Obviously we travel under two different last names and I only had my e-mailed document handy and the guard would not let Frank on until someone from the ship came down and vouched for him. Things may have changed but better safe and sorry.

We did a day tour with a private van in Rio and got to the pier about 5pm and there was no problem checking in.

You must be off the ship by 9am and as I remember customs was quick. However be aware that you cannot check in at the BA airport until two hours before the flight. So if you arrive at the airport four hours early you will have to sit with your luggage for two hours. They are very strict on this. There are also few sitting areas so most people end up on the floor.

Thank you RetiredFL for that prompt response.

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks for the tip regarding EZE airport, i'll adjust the private tour dropoff accordingly.

BTW, did you enjoy that cruise?

Yes, although it was a struggle in some smaller ports to find something to do.

Rio was great, especially with a private van. If Sugarloaf and Corcovado are clear insist on doing them first. They often cloud over. The Escadaria Selaron and the old trolley there is great. Neighborhood much safer than the guidebook claims.

We enjoyed Punta del Este very much. We ditched the tour on the way back and walked through town which was fun and easy. The Railli museum is a must. In Montevideo there was not a lot to see except for the government building.

In BA we enjoyed a tour of the Delta by boat. Standing of Evita's balcony was also fun as was the tango area(Carmenito)

In short there was enough to make it a memorable trip.

Yes, although it was a struggle in some smaller ports to find something to do.

Rio was great, especially with a private van. If Sugarloaf and Corcovado are clear insist on doing them first. They often cloud over. The Escadaria Selaron and the old trolley there is great. Neighborhood much safer than the guidebook claims.

We enjoyed Punta del Este very much. We ditched the tour on the way back and walked through town which was fun and easy. The Railli museum is a must. In Montevideo there was not a lot to see except for the government building.

In BA we enjoyed a tour of the Delta by boat. Standing of Evita's balcony was also fun as was the tango area(Carmenito)

In short there was enough to make it a memorable trip.

your review confirms what i'm finding in my research, small quiet towns sandwiched between larger cities in the cruise itinerary.

Curious, what did you do in Santos, in specific, did you make the trek out to Sao Paolo? and if so, was it worth the drive?

Why not drop off everything early, and be on your way. That way you don't have a problem with luggage. Also on checking out at 9:00AM no problem - in fact if you have a upper suite they let you stay even a little longer.

Ronrick1943,

Drop off early?, some tip I don't know about? Most airlines I know won't take luggage till 2 hrs before departure. We'll have more than 12 hrs before departure. Also, on the other point, we're in inside cabins, so no perks for us.

We did not go to Sao Paulo and many were disappointed. We were there on Sunday the 26th of Dec and everything was cancelled because of the holiday weekend.

We did go to Sao Pablo and enjoyed it very much. The trip is longish but interesting. The city has much to offer.

OTOH, Santos has plenty to do & see as well - can't go wrong either way.

We did go to Sao Pablo and enjoyed it very much. The trip is longish but interesting. The city has much to offer.

OTOH, Santos has plenty to do & see as well - can't go wrong either way.

good to know - thanks. I plan on using the free OBC to take Oceania's excursion. Wasn't sure if it was going to be worth the drive. Heard it's a landlocked city of 17 million. Never seen a city that large before.

good to know - thanks. I plan on using the free OBC to take Oceania's excursion. Wasn't sure if it was going to be worth the drive. Heard it's a landlocked city of 17 million. Never seen a city that large before.

It is a very large city - largest in S. America. However, the historical center is much smaller and easily manageable as well as well worth the visit.

PS Obviously it is Sao Paolo and not Pablo (didn't catch the auto correct in my post above :))