Escalation Process Within Oceania

trishbk

Hi Fellow Cruise Critics,

I need your guidance/advice. I am a 4 star Mariner with Holland America and decided after 50 cruises, it was time to branch out to other lines. We called Oceania, spoke to a Cruise Consultant, and we booked a cruise directly with him. We have had some major difficulties with our booking and we are approaching the 100% cancellation time. He has been giving us the run around for some time now and has given us information that proved false. He told us to send him an email with our business case to transfer us to another cruise and he would forward it to Oceania Guest Relations. Now we have learned that he hasn't even started the process of escalation and we are running out of time. Today he tells us that they are trying to resolve the problem within his operating division and that Guest Relations cannot get involved unless we outright cancel our cruise which is contrary to what he told us before. Does anyone have contact information for Oceania Guest Relations or someone higher up in the organization who can assist us?

I don't see how anyone could recommend anyone based on the deliberately cagey way that you've phrased your "issue".

I actually feel like I know less about your situation now, than I did before I started reading this.

We're Holland America refugees also, so we are very aware of why you are "branching out", standards are falling over there faster than we were able to lower our expectations.

Tell us a little more about what you believe to have gone astray, and I'm sure that someone can guide you.

Did you book with Oceania or a company with similar name?

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/

I am not sure why the agent cannot deal with the problem you are having directly unless he is not actually working at Oceania ?

I am lost as to the problem as well

You should ask the agent to put you intouch with guest services on a conference call so all 3 of you are on the same page

if that fails I would cancel & rebook else where ... be sure to check you will get 100% back though

We're Holland America refugees also, so we are very aware of why you are "branching out", standards are falling over there faster than we were able to lower our expectations. "

LOVE the "standards are falling over there faster than we were able to lower our expectations"...and they haven't lowered many prices in suite (Neptune Suites? UGGGH to that name) cabins or penthouses (now called Pineapple Suites?) so last February we jumped ship, canceled 269 upcoming HAL cruise days through May 26, 2017 and fled to Viking and Oceania...

We are nearly convinced that their new president (who didn't even bother to come down to the pier to say goodbye to the STATENDAM when we left Seattle on her final cruise) has brought a wrecking crew with him...We used to swear by HAL, now we swear AT it.

(Yes, after 20 years and more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ than I care to remember we are PISSED at them)

Edited by Willem Ruys

I guess you guys all missed my objective which was to understand the escalation process within Oceania. My intention was not at all to make this a rant on Holland America or my choosing to book direct with any cruise line vs. using an independent TA. I believe I have found my resolution within Oceania with a lot of diligence. I'm told 99% can't get the resolution that I got. Having spent years in Corp America, I have used the common sense approach to escalation or years of experience and I think all will be good.

I guess you guys all missed my objective which was to understand the escalation process within Oceania. My intention was not at all to make this a rant on Holland America or my choosing to book direct with any cruise line vs. using an independent TA. I believe I have found my resolution within Oceania with a lot of diligence. I'm told 99% can't get the resolution that I got. Having spent years in Corp America, I have used the common sense approach to escalation or years of experience and I think all will be good.

I did not miss your objective

some TA's that have a close connection with O can do wonders when a problem arises

Sometime even before you know it is an issue ;)

I am glad you got a resolution to your problem

Lyn

How. Do you know how to choose a TA?

Shop around ask if they are a member of Oceania Cruises’ Connoisseur Club

You could call Oceania & ask for a TA that is a top producer

Then ask questions to make sure they do know what they are talking about

So I am assuming you worked something out with Oceania regarding your concerns regarding the potential inability to obtain Brazilian visas in time for your Nov 29 cruise.

Please share with us exactly what transpired. We are all interested in the resolution of this issue.

Thank you!

Could someone please explain what an Escalation Process is? That phrase confounds me.

basically if the person you are working with cannot solve the problem move up the ladder to the next person until you reach someone who can solve the problem

basically if the person you are working with cannot solve the problem move up the ladder to the next person until you reach someone who can solve the problem

Thanks for the answer. I was about to ask the same question myself. In all the years on these boards had never heard that term.

Yes - I did go through an escalation process and got my resolve to apply the funds of the a 75% already in the cancellation period to another cruise AND the remaining 25% as a cash refund. Getting a Brazilian Tourist Visa through the San Francisco Consulate is much different than others are experiencing in other parts of the US and Canada so my circumstances are very different and may require special consideration to the cancellation periods imposed by Oceania. Yes, I went up the food chain! Took names and put every call in writing for documentation purposes and for recourse if needed. All I was asking in my original post was whether anyone could advise on the escalation process if they had sailed many times with Oceania. I am not a new cruiser, but new to Oceania. One would suspect from some of the posts to my original threads is that I'm dealing with TAs masquerading as cruise clients. Please don't mock HAL, I continually do a cost analysis and have determined that for cost per day and the quality of service obtained, I'm definitely getting my money's worth with HAL. I look at HAL as a $20 wine with a 90 pt Wine Spectator rating.

One would suspect from some of the posts to my original threads is that I'm dealing with TAs masquerading as cruise clients. Please don't mock HAL,

Not sure who you think are TA's masquerading as clients :confused:

Most answers you got were trying to help you

If I have problems my TA takes care of it for me

If you like HAL that is great

others expressed their opinions on HAL not everyone will share your opinion

JMO

YMMV

Please don't mock HAL, I continually do a cost analysis and have determined that for cost per day and the quality of service obtained, I'm definitely getting my money's worth with HAL. I look at HAL as a $20 wine with a 90 pt Wine Spectator rating.

Yes, well if you're willing to live with urine stained linens and carpets, chipped veneer (and cheap veneer at that), tasteless, bland food and nickel and diming galore, then Bon Voyage!

We left a free cruise on the table with HAL because their ships had become ghastly remnants of their former glory...and I'm speaking as someone whose tenth birthday party was held in the private dining room of the Nieuw Amsterdam '38.

Nieuw-amsterdam-in-later-years-300x169.jpg

I couldn't agree more with Jim and Stan.

We decided to try HAL this summer to experience a more dressy cruise for a change. However, post booking, HAL changed the formal dress code to optional and defeated the object of the cruise. The cost was equal to Oceania for a med cruise but there was no comparison in terms of quality of food, service, staff, cleanliness and the level of nickle and dining.

One such example was the pathetic attempt at Afternoon Tea. It consisted of several tables in a corner of the dining room where around 20 people attended to have one quick round of open sandwiches followed 2 mins later by a poor selection of pastries. The whole experience was over in 10 mins. This is in stark contrast to the excellent Oceania Afternoon Tea.

Happily we have returned to Oceania with a good deal for Riviera in January. We are very much looking forward to the excellent food and service once again.