NYC Metro Pass Question

nyfeds

Unfortunately, you cannot use a 7 day pass for multiple people. Per the NY MTA: Cannot be used again at the same subway station or the same bus route for at least 18 minutes.

You are better off getting a Metro card and just putting $ on it and then you can swipe and go through and hand the pass back to your husband for him to swipe and go through. Can't do that with any unlimited pass, which the 7 day pass is.

Thanks for your reply. We usually walk from one end of the City to another. This visit, we plan to use the metro a bit more than we usually do. Wanted to see if the pass would work for us both, but your reply helped clarify that. Thank you.

Denise

In retirement I don't use my Metrocard as often as I used to, but back then I would fill it with $20-30. As I recall, back then you couldn't use it for multiple people either. (Things could have changed in all these years.)

I'd suggest getting two separate cards and putting on an amount you think you're going to use. $10 doesn't go far with current rates.

That's what we do in London!

Mura

Thanks, Mura. I remember, way back when, when fares were downright cheap and we used tokens ;)

NY is a walker's city and we haven't used a metro card for the last few visits, but will need to do so for this visit as I injured my knee in May and I am slowly getting back on track.

Denise

When I came to NYC in 1970 the fare was $.35. My husband who grew up in the City remembers when it was a nickel!

Gone are the days ...

Mura

Yes, a nickel and then a dime. Just shows how old we are. It was pretty easy back then when we did not need a card or a token, just a coin to get in the subway. Still have some tokens. The Daily News also cost a nickel. Were the old days better? Don't know, but liked them. :):):)

When more than one person uses a pay-per-ride card, I wouldn't bother passing it from one to another at a turnstile. It can be shared by up to 4 people.

Whichever person has been appointed keeper of the card swipes it for each other person, who goes through the turnstile; then the keeper swipes it for him/herself and goes through.

Yes, a nickel and then a dime. Just shows how old we are. It was pretty easy back then when we did not need a card or a token, just a coin to get in the subway. Still have some tokens. The Daily News also cost a nickel. Were the old days better? Don't know, but liked them. :):):)

Getting nostalgic :)

It was better when I was a kid and had a bus and subway paper pass. Flash it to the agent and go through the exit swinging door...

A lot of ex-NYers on CC...

Sure am. New York, (Brooklyn) A good ( great) place to grow up. Not complaining now. Florida is pretty good also, but NY still holds a very special place in my heart. :):):)

Me too Sheaphead Bay. Good place to grow up. But have not been back since the 80s. :)

Edited by PaulMCO

Me too Sheaphead Bay. Good place to grow up. But have not been back since the 80s. :)

Back about 10 years ago Grew up near Kings Highway. Late wife went to Sheaphead Bay Hi. Heard they closed it a few years ago. Would like to get back soon. Wonder if my old tokens are still good? Just kidding. :):):)

My Grandmother lived on Brighton 4th Street. Some of my best days were spent visiting with her. She lived about a block from the boardwalk/beach. Loved to stroll to Coney Island.

Edited by nyfeds

My Grandmother lived on Brighton 4th Street. Some of my best days were spent visiting with her. She lived about a block from the boardwalk/beach. Loved to stroll to Coney Island.

Great, makes you think of all the good times. My mom grew up on Brighton 13th street half block from Brighton Beach Ave. and Brighton Beach baths. Spent a lot of time there. :):):)

From the Metro Pass to Brooklyn to Brighton Beach! Sweet memories! Love it! :)

I left before the Metro Pass. Only coins and then tokens. Did use later on when we would visit but that was not too often. Would drive in from New Jersey to where we needed to go. Again, Good Memories. :):):)

We moved to SOCAL in 1970. We try to visit and play tourist as often as we can. Always need that NYC adrenaline shot! :) Can't wait to be back in the City in a few weeks!

Denise

So nice and refreshing to read a thread where everyone is happy and not complaining about things. I know we are sort of getting off topic but I think that is O.K. once in a while. Enjoy your visit and say hi for me. :):):)

So nice and refreshing to read a thread where everyone is happy and not complaining about things. I know we are sort of getting off topic but I think that is O.K. once in a while. Enjoy your visit and say hi for me. :):):)

Getting off topic took us down a very enjoyable "memory lane." I agree...very refreshing.

Very much over complainers and I steer clear of them whenever possible. I find for the most part, those who participate in this forum to be very congenial, helpful and positive. I keep clear of a couple of CC forums where, often times, several participants are anything but!

Will definitely say "Hi NY" for you! :)

Denise

On that note, I'll digress a teensy bit further. Somewhat amusing ...

I live in Brooklyn Heights and we often see tourists here. The other morning I saw a couple standing on a corner, looking puzzled. The man had a huge camera so I figured they were tourists and asked if I could help. I thought maybe they were looking for the way to the Brooklyn Bridge.

After a few comments it turned out that they were German and he needed a bathroom. Obviously, he didn't want to say so to a woman!

Since there are no public restrooms here I directed him to the diner on the corner. Although I didn't know how welcome they would be to a tourist who just wanted to use the loo! If I could have been sure that Mark was managing the restaurant at that time, I'd have told him to say "Mura sent me"!

Mura

Edited by Mura
Posted before I was finished

On that note, I'll digress a teensy bit further. Somewhat amusing ...

I live in Brooklyn Heights and we often see tourists here. The other morning I saw a couple standing on a corner, looking puzzled. The man had a huge camera so I figured they were tourists and asked if I could help. I thought maybe they were looking for the way to the Brooklyn Bridge.

After a few comments it turned out that they were German and he needed a bathroom. Obviously, he didn't want to say so to a woman!

Since there are no public restrooms here I directed him to the diner on the corner. Although I didn't know how welcome they would be to a tourist who just wanted to use the loo! If I could have been sure that Mark was managing the restaurant at that time, I'd have told him to say "Mura sent me"!

Mura

You did your good deed for the day, Mura. And, who knew that there were nice NYers??? You know, NYers (we) get a bad rap! You're one of the good ones! :)

Thanks, Denise, but my Mom would have said I'm typical of the people she met when she was traveling here alone.

People couldn't wait to help her.

But NY does get an undeserved bad press!

My office was in the Wall Street area and I often encountered people with their green Michelin books who clearly didn't know where to go. I would ask if I could help and they would look at me as they were terrified I was going to mug them.

Then they looked again and figured I was safe. It helped that I could usually speak at least some of their language....

Mura