Sorry - Another question about deviation fee

m1k2s3

I'm really having a hard time sorting this out and I hope someone can help me.

We've booked a cruise for February 2017, including air ( got an incredible deal with some discounts in there), deposit paid and final payment is due November 26th. Now I'm second guessing myself as we'll be flying from Toronto to Miami. I'm concerned about the a weather in Toronto and thought we should go a day earlier so I asked my TA to check with Oceania.

If I understand this correctly if we take Oceania flights and go a day earlier, we would pay the deviation fee of $175US pp and also any additional costs (ie difference in airfare). Have I got this right?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, that's right. BUT if you are using the same flights -- they are just taking place the day before -- there won't be any extra charges. Those apply to flights where Oceania doesn't have a contract and so they pass along extra fees.

We always go in at least a day early. You never know when emergencies will screw up airline schedules!

Mura

Yes, that's right. BUT if you are using the same flights -- they are just taking place the day before -- there won't be any extra charges. Those apply to flights where Oceania doesn't have a contract and so they pass along extra fees.

We always go in at least a day early. You never know when emergencies will screw up airline schedules!

Mura

Not completely true Mura. The OP won't know until about 75 days prior to the cruise what the cruise day flights are and at that date or even now, the fare may or may not be the same the day before as O only has contracts for contract pricing for a specific number of seats on any given flight so if those seats are filled, there might or might not be seats without any upcharge. We are now about 5 months before the OP's cruise and many people take deviations 9 months priortothe cruise date. Best for the OP to immediately check flight schedules and give their TA a list of flights for the deviation and see which flights don't have an extra charge. No harm, no foul as the deviation fee isn't charged until the passenger agrees to the flights. Extremely difficult to second guess the air department or say specifically which flights will or will not have an upcharge and also check on deviations ASAP starting 9 months beforet he cruise date. Additional costs are not limited to non-contract flights, it all depends on supply and demand.

Edited by rallydave

I'm really having a hard time sorting this out and I hope someone can help me.

We've booked a cruise for February 2017, including air ( got an incredible deal with some discounts in there), deposit paid and final payment is due November 26th. Now I'm second guessing myself as we'll be flying from Toronto to Miami. I'm concerned about the a weather in Toronto and thought we should go a day earlier so I asked my TA to check with Oceania.

If I understand this correctly if we take Oceania flights and go a day earlier, we would pay the deviation fee of $175US pp and also any additional costs (ie difference in airfare). Have I got this right?

We usually use A/C & no upcharge so far ;)

You can price out the flights with the airline then decide if you can get it any cheaper but in my experience O air with the deviation fee works better for us

You do not save a lot but it pays the taxi fare to the hotel /port

JMO

Lyn

Thanks everyone. I just got an email from from TA. Oceania has the air cost at $304US plus deviation fees of $175US x2. Converting that to Canadian means it will cost us approx. $625 extra to fly in a day early. I'm not sure it's worth that so I think we're just going hope for the best.

Thanks everyone. I just got an email from from TA. Oceania has the air cost at $304US plus deviation fees of $175US x2. Converting that to Canadian means it will cost us approx. $625 extra to fly in a day early. I'm not sure it's worth that so I think we're just going hope for the best.

That makes no sense if you are using the included air

I have only ever paid the $175 pp fee

unless you are booking Business class

What is the air credit ??

Since you are not yet at final payment you can still have your cruise re priced without air and buy your own for less.

I agree the $304US charge sounds weird.

In any case, why not just take the air credit and book your own flights? Lots of Air Canada and WestJet flights to Miami. Then you get to travel when you like. You just have to pay your for your own cabs.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Since you want to arrive a day early (which will entail a hotel night), why not just get hotel thru Oceania.

I know it is expensive but your flights would change with no deviation fee and you would still have all of your transfers. Price it out and see what the result is.

It sounds like you may have the cruise only fare no airfare included

I would just book your own flights

AA have a non stops both ways for your dates for about the same pricing

Edited by LHT28

That makes no sense if you are using the included air

I have only ever paid the $175 pp fee

unless you are booking Business class

What is the air credit ??

I agree the $304US charge sounds weird.

In any case, why not just take the air credit and book your own flights? Lots of Air Canada and WestJet flights to Miami. Then you get to travel when you like. You just have to pay your for your own cabs.

We have just arranged for a deviation as well. The non refundable deviation charge is $175 but, you must also pat y any flight differential between what was originally offered and the flight you chose to take on your deviation. Oceania buy in bulk from certain carriers and if the flight you choose is not part of that bulk buy and there is a difference in cost, you pay that difference.

So, you pay the $350 (for 2) deviation fee plus flight cost differences X2.

Oh and the air credit is much less than a flight. I asked and told them there is no way you can flights for that cheap anywhere but, they say they deal in buk and guarantees.. In our case, the deviation and additional cost was still a lot less than the airfare alone.

We have just arranged for a deviation as well. The non refundable deviation charge is $175 but, you must also pat y any flight differential between what was originally offered and the flight you chose to take on your deviation. Oceania buy in bulk from certain carriers and if the flight you choose is not part of that bulk buy and there is a difference in cost, you pay that difference.

Oh and the air credit is much less than a flight. I asked and told them there is no way you can flights for that cheap anywhere but, they say they deal in buk and guarantees.. In our case, the deviation and additional cost was still a lot less than the airfare alone.

Yes that is how it works

Sometimes it works for people sometimes it is better to DIY

You need to compare what you can get on your own to what Oceania offers

Flying from YYZ to MIA is not cheap but does not usually incur a differential of that amount

Yes that is how it works

Sometimes it works for people sometimes it is better to DIY

You need to compare what you can get on your own to what Oceania offers

Flying from YYZ to MIA is not cheap but does not usually incur a differential of that amount

Yes, I'm aware of the bulk fares. I've always found that the air credit was close to the cost of the flights booked independently. I have flown from YYZ to FLL or MIA probably a half dozen times for cruises and many times the price differential was very close, given the deviation fees. With the extra charge, I can't imagine it wouldn't be slightly cheaper to book your own, especially since you get to choose your flights and ensure a non-stop flight. Making sure you get a flight back to Toronto at a reasonable time is important too (i.e., not too early in the morning.)

(As an aside, I have expressed many times that I feel that the deviation fee is ridiculous when applied to an arrival a day in advance. Both Oceania and Regent would be wise to relax this rule. It must be a real cash cow for them.)

Yes, I'm aware of the bulk fares. I've always found that the air credit was close to the cost of the flights booked independently. I have flown from YYZ to FLL or MIA probably a half dozen times for cruises and many times the price differential was very close, given the deviation fees. With the extra charge, I can't imagine it wouldn't be slightly cheaper to book your own, especially since you get to choose your flights and ensure a non-stop flight. Making sure you get a flight back to Toronto at a reasonable time is important too (i.e., not too early in the morning.)

looking at flights from YYZ to MIA it is ridiculous now :eek:

Now AC have changed to Rouge on that routing

We got lucky last year I had gotten a good deal on Bus class to FLL with A/C then they changed to ROUGE

It was ok in Bus but I would not fly Econ on Rouge

if you can afford Bus go for it but if not try another airline

did not like Westjet either

Maybe i will have to give up flying ;)

looking at flights from YYZ to MIA it is ridiculous now :eek:

Now AC have changed to Rouge on that routing

We got lucky last year I had gotten a good deal on Bus class to FLL with A/C then they changed to ROUGE

It was ok in Bus but I would not fly Econ on Rouge

if you can afford Bus go for it but if not try another airline

did not like Westjet either

Maybe i will have to give up flying ;)

My son flew Rouge a couple of years ago to Florida and really liked it. But then he's in his 30's! :o

(As an aside, I have expressed many times that I feel that the deviation fee is ridiculous when applied to an arrival a day in advance. Both Oceania and Regent would be wise to relax this rule. It must be a real cash cow for them.)

Since the OP did not give their cruise date -- I ran some YYZ-to MIA and also FLL on ITA Matrix on some of the 7 day Marina cruises in Feb -- leaving one day before and return same day of disembarking.. The fares are running C$800 pp for the AC non-stop flights... Ouch

Edited by PaulMCO

Since the OP did not give their cruise date -- I ran some YYZ-to MIA and also FLL on ITA Matrix on some of the 7 day Marina cruises in Feb -- leaving one day before and return same day of disembarking.. The fares are running C$800 pp for the AC non-stop flights... Ouch

YUP scary stuff :eek:

I think the OP is on feb 24th cruise

AA has some flights for under $700 but still scary from here :D

A couple of yrs ago we could get flights around $400-500

YUP scary stuff :eek:

I think the OP is on feb 24th cruise

AA has some flights for under $700 but still scary from here :D

A couple of yrs ago we could get flights around $400-500

If one is willing to be a little more flexible (and creative), you could fly SWA from BUF to FLL for $260 RT 2/23 - 2/30/17:

FEB 23 THU Depart Flt 333/494 BUF 8:20 AM FLL 1:40 PM Adult Air fare Wanna Get Away fare

MAR 30 THU Return Flt 2191 FLL 3:35 PM BUF 6:35 PM Adult Air fare Wanna Get Away fare Cost Breakdown Adult $260.96 x 1 $260.96 $260.96 Govt. Taxes & Fees Trip Total $260.96

I know - you have to get to BUF and then from FLL to MIA, but the price is right (and free 2 pieces of luggage as well) :)

Edited by Paulchili

If one is willing to be a little more flexible (and creative), you could fly SWA from BUF to FLL for $260 RT 2/23 - 2/30/17:

I know - you have to get to BUF and then from FLL to MIA, but the price is right (and free 2 pieces of luggage as well) :)

I know it will work for some

driving 3 hrs in winter road conditions to get to BUF is not for me ;)

You never know if you will hit high winds & snow squalls during that time of year

I know lots do it though

I know it will work for some

driving 3 hrs in winter road conditions to get to BUF is not for me ;)

You never know if you will hit high winds & snow squalls during that time of year

I know lots do it though

Me neither, I'm not up for that. Although I'm usually in Florida in the winter now, lucky me! Getting out of Pearson in the winter is tough enough, without adding a drive to Buffalo, the centre of the biggest snowbelt around!

Me neither, I'm not up for that. Although I'm usually in Florida in the winter now, lucky me! Getting out of Pearson in the winter is tough enough, without adding a drive to Buffalo, the centre of the biggest snowbelt around!

You have not lived until you are almost blown off the Skyway bridge :D

We did the drive to Niagara Falls every Christmas when my brother's kids were little

They closed the QEW many times

The few time we have driven south in the winter we managed to get a good weather window one Jan it was 50F so the drive was not too bad

I wish I could go south in Nov to April just never seems to happen though :D

Not applicable in the case of the OP, but the rules change significantly if one is talking true PE or business class seatings. If Oceania is not running a special, for that cruise, offering discounts for business or (true) PE class flights, one will typically find O's air quotes significantly higher than what can be found on the airline's websites. This is true even before air deviation charges.

You have not lived until you are almost blown off the Skyway bridge :D

We did the drive to Niagara Falls every Christmas when my brother's kids were little

They closed the QEW many times

The few time we have driven south in the winter we managed to get a good weather window one Jan it was 50F so the drive was not too bad

I wish I could go south in Nov to April just never seems to happen though :D

I hear you loud and clear. I lived in the Midwest many years ago and remember very harsh winters with lots of snow.

For some reason - ?global warming - that doesn't seem to be the case any more. My relatives in Toronto tell me they hardly have any snow in the winter any more.

That said, I can see that driving to Buffalo in February can be treacherous and unpredictable.