Just off Carnival Magic - bizzare behavior or the new normal?

3 gals and a buoy

Just off a 7 day cruise with my husband and two younger daughters (9 & 12). For the most part, we had a really nice time but there were a couple things that surprised me that we experienced on board. I realize it was a small part of the experience, but just curious what you would have thought.

First was in regards to the photo sessions. There was a couple we walked past at about 8:00PM that were hard to miss. They were posing in various sexual positions and the photographer was snapping away while their group of friends were cheering them on. My kids were like - why is he doing that to her? Yeah....

Second was during the main dining room. On the last night of the cruise there was a toddler running around in just a diaper (no other clothes or shoes). I realize that not everyone likes to dress up for dinner, but come on.

We also ate at the steak house. The food and service were great, but two tables over had a one year old doing laps around the parents table. She was pulling things off of the surrounding tables while the parents ignored them.

Also - are non-potty trained kids supposed to be in the pools? I know on Disney they had a dedicated toddler pool that was drained and refilled nightly for obvious reasons. Keep in mind I have kids and they have been on every sailing with us since we had them. I just make sure they followed the rules of the ship with dress code, etc.

Maybe I should mind my own business, but am I crazy to think that's over the top a bit, or are people "just on vacation and anything goes?"

First was in regards to the photo sessions. There was a couple we walked past at about 8:00PM that were hard to miss. They were posing in various sexual positions and the photographer was snapping away...

Was she wearing a chain dress by any chance?? :wink:

Was she wearing a chain dress by any chance?? :wink:

HA!:D

Op, I think it says more about the people being photograghed than the photographer. On our cruise last month we saw very young children in the Steakhouse. WHile it did not bother us, I thought it was a lot to put a kid through (length of meal), etc.).

On the last night of the cruise there was a toddler running around in just a diaper (no other clothes or shoes). I realize that not everyone likes to dress up for dinner, but come on.

:D ^^ Above ^^

Not as bad a the people who changed their child's diaper in the middle of the MDR floor ... and the diaper was more than just wet. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

I can't believe the way some parents refuse to parent their children or show concern for those around them. With all of the concern there is about norovirus, you'd think the cruise lines would have stricter rules about kids in diapers whether it's in the pool or anywhere else. It is totally unacceptable to change a diaper in any public venue. That's what restrooms or your cabin are for. And parents should mind and discipline their children. If they can't behave, take them out of the dining room. I can't believe anyone would bring a toddler to the steakhouse. When our kids were little, we had to accept that there were things we couldn't do when the children were with us, whether it was because we couldn't afford it or because it was inappropriate for kids their age. We never allowed our kids to misbehave in public. Parents that do that are inconsiderate. It's that "my needs first" attitude that carries over to their children.

As for the sex pics, if these folks paid for a private session, they should be photographed in private. I think whatever the rules of decorum are for the public venues should apply to the photo stations.

:D ^^ Above ^^

Not as bad a the people who changed their child's diaper in the middle of the MDR floor ... and the diaper was more than just wet. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

WHAT??? That's just crazy. :eek: Some people are so clueless.

Yes, it is bizarre. And maybe not unexpected. Right now there are some 750,000 passengers aboard the 25 largest cruise ships and probably more than that on all of the smaller ships that make up the main fleets that we think of when we say cruise ship in the US.

That's 2 to 3 times the size of the population of Milwaukee. So yes strange things happen. Overt PDA, unsupervised children, "me" attitude. We see it at home and we see it on vacation.

Sadly the Maîtres d' in the restaurants did nothing and no one took responsibility for enforcing the pool rule regarding diapers. (Yuck!) Hopefully you took the time to let someone know.

Charlie

Just off a 7 day cruise with my husband and two younger daughters (9 & 12). For the most part, we had a really nice time but there were a couple things that surprised me that we experienced on board. I realize it was a small part of the experience, but just curious what you would have thought.

First was in regards to the photo sessions. There was a couple we walked past at about 8:00PM that were hard to miss. They were posing in various sexual positions and the photographer was snapping away while their group of friends were cheering them on. My kids were like - why is he doing that to her? Yeah....

Second was during the main dining room. On the last night of the cruise there was a toddler running around in just a diaper (no other clothes or shoes). I realize that not everyone likes to dress up for dinner, but come on.

We also ate at the steak house. The food and service were great, but two tables over had a one year old doing laps around the parents table. She was pulling things off of the surrounding tables while the parents ignored them.

Also - are non-potty trained kids supposed to be in the pools? I know on Disney they had a dedicated toddler pool that was drained and refilled nightly for obvious reasons. Keep in mind I have kids and they have been on every sailing with us since we had them. I just make sure they followed the rules of the ship with dress code, etc.

Maybe I should mind my own business, but am I crazy to think that's over the top a bit, or are people "just on vacation and anything goes?"

As far as the couple, although what they were doing was wrong, i personally wouldnt really care, cuz i understand that they were just trying to have fun. (as bad as that sounds). if the clothes started coming off, well them thats a different story.

as far as the kid running around in a diaper in the MDR, that is a big no no!!! I understand the parents not wanting to be too strict on vacation because they want the kids to have fun, but come on! what happened to decency and basic respect? Its not ok to have a child running around, ruining the dinner of others, i dont care how cute the baby is. And with no clothes on? i would have said something to the head waiter or the maitre d. I have 2 kids, one of them 1 year old, and i would never let my daughter do that, at home or elsewhere.

i wonder if the kids that arent potty trained in the pool had swim diapers on. When i put my daughter in the kiddie pool, she has a swim diaper on, and a bathing suit over it so you cant tell that she's "protected".

Unfortunately some things that should be common sense to all people are not. What you had to see was unacceptable especially the kid without clothes and the kid running around the table in the Steakhouse. In these cases the parents bear all of the fault. Regarding the sexually promiscuous poses that was also unacceptable and I don't understand why people would wan't to do that in public especially in the presence of children.

I can't imagine anyone bring a very young child on a cruise period. What fun would that be? I have 2 and they will stay with the grandparents or I will stay home!

That would be your loss.

Can't even imagine a vacation without my kids. Such memories, and live them over and over again when we pull out the videos.

Someone changes a diaper in the MDR while I am eating, and the WHOLE ship will know about it. I would be very loud and vocal. I can overlook a lot of stuff but this is way beyond the line I draw. If something wasn't done by the Maitre D' I would go over his head til I got to the top. Every single other person on that ship should be taken into consideration. Just disgusting.

HA!:D

Op, I think it says more about the people being photograghed than the photographer. On our cruise last month we saw very young children in the Steakhouse. WHile it did not bother us, I thought it was a lot to put a kid through (length of meal), etc.).

I agree with this - I have a friend who is a CCL photographer and they are paid based on the prints that SELL...so there isnt much they will discourage if the guest wants it

I can't imagine anyone bring a very young child on a cruise period. What fun would that be? I have 2 and they will stay with the grandparents or I will stay home!

Different strokes for different folks. I have no problem with responsible parents bringing their children on a cruise.

IMHO those who are not responsible should stay at home themselves and spend the cruise money on parenting classes.

Charlie

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It seems to be the new norm. The more the rates fall and allow a new set of cruisers to cruise, that lower skill set is climbing on board, and bringing their lack of social skills with them.

You can have plenty of money and be low class, character makes the man not the size of his bank account.

i wonder if the kids that arent potty trained in the pool had swim diapers on. When i put my daughter in the kiddie pool, she has a swim diaper on, and a bathing suit over it so you cant tell that she's "protected".

Even children wearing swim diapers are not allowed in the pools on Carnival.

It seems to be the new norm. The more the rates fall and allow a new set of cruisers to cruise, that lower skill set is climbing on board, and bringing their lack of social skills with them.

I hate the implication that those that are lower income are lower class. I know plenty of people who would be considered wealthy that have no manners or common social skills. My best friends parents would be a perfect example (going into a fancy establishment with wife beater shirts and frayed cut offs, speaking at innapropriate levels and brash...but very very well off). But generally I agree that people in general have become lazier and more selfish/self-centered which often translates into the experiences posters relate here. But I think the problem is among ALL socio-economic statuses.

I can't imagine anyone bring a very young child on a cruise period. What fun would that be?!

Just returned from our 4th "fun-less" cruise with a 1 year old and a 3 year old, this time to Alaska.

It was so bad that we have decided to take the kids on another cruise next summer. It will be their 5th time spoiling our fun! :D

Edited by Tapi

I hate the implication that those that are lower income are lower class. I know plenty of people who would be considered wealthy that have no manners or common social skills. My best friends parents would be a perfect example (going into a fancy establishment with wife beater shirts and frayed cut offs, speaking at innapropriate levels and brash...but very very well off). But generally I agree that people in general have become lazier and more selfish/self-centered which often translates into the experiences posters relate here. But I think the problem is among ALL socio-economic statuses.

Very well said.

Photo session: Don't understand some folks in family surroundings...wish they would be more considerate.

Toddlers in Diapers: Ok in your home or backyard, not ok in a public dining room of ANY kind. I love children but put some clothes on them.

Toddlers misbehaving: Parents who have no regard for anyone but themselves get on my last nerve. We don't even go out to eat right now because I have a 3 year old that can self combust at any second. We took him on a cruise last year at 2 1/2 and when he wasn't behaving he was removed from the dining area. We scheduled a night at the steak house, but only after a grandparent agreed to watch him.

Glad you had fun, sorry that some folks don't know how to behave.