MSC Divina with children review

alpal1993

Our cruise will include 12 vouchers. Not sure if the bar staff gets tipped on those or if we need extra cash available. So many questions about a new line but I am excited to try it.

I had coupons as well. I asked and they will get tipped as if you were paying regular price for the drink. When you order a drink, they will ring it up and they will hand you a receipt for you to sign. They will then staple the coupon to it. The receipt will have the drink's regular price with the tip. So unless you feel the need to tip extra, they will get a standard tip.

I did think about the international guests but think the Caribbean will be more American.

There will be Americans but ,at least on my sailing, it seemed like the vast majority of fellow cruisers were either from Europe or South America. Lots of different languages floating around. Get ready for all announcements, even the Captain's welcome aboard speech, to be in 6-7 different languages!

Was that in the Caribbean? I read they were only announcing in English except for emergencies.

On the first day, the Cruise Director said that the official language for the cruise would be English, and all of his announcements as well as many non-essential announcements were indeed made only in English. But that didn't apply to everything. Besides the life boat drill, the Captain's welcome aboard speech, announcements directing people (like for shore excursions, debarkation, etc), and several others were done in multiple languages. Even Doremi (MSC's kids club mascot) spoke multiple languages! Also, when the staff conducted activities for the passengers, they would some times give instructions in several languages as well.

One thing that you may notice is that loudspeaker announcements are not as "plentiful" as on other cruise lines (no incessant announcements encouraging passengers to play bingo or buy $10 watches), so that was a positive in my opinion.

That's good to know about the drink coupons. I just don't want to feel like we're stiffing anyone. :) It's what makes me uncomfortable about Holland America. It says, "No tipping required" but then goes on to say if you feel you want to give more you can. Ugh. Just tell me if a tip is part of the expectation.

We've been on many European and South American cruises that have multiple language announcements. If that's how this one is, it will be fine. I'm surprised to hear that the kids' club mascot talks at all. Usually those guys don't say anything. DD loves the smurfs, so it will be fun for her to see those in the club.

I'm surprised to hear that the kids' club mascot talks at all. Usually those guys don't say anything. DD loves the smurfs, so it will be fun for her to see those in the club.

Most likely you will only hear him "speak" during the kid's talent show on the last sea day. Doremi makes the show introduction, but his voice is just part of the soundtrack for the show. [emoji6]

They also have a Lego mascot (several activities are Lego themed). The kids club is Smurf themed but they don't have Smurf mascots on the ship. Hope your kids enjoy the kids club as much as mine did!

Edited by Tapi

To be honest, I don't think that the F1 simulator is appropriate for a 5 year old. You need to be tall enough to reach the pedals and also know how to shift and drive (you need to know how to brake and when to step on the gas.) Mostly it was teens and grown men driving it. Take a look at this video:

My husband drove it and I can say for sure it was not easy to drive even though he watched 2 other men drive it first - the 2 other men did terrible, btw, they crashed a lot and even went backwards on the track. My husband had recent Jaguar school, so he was more familiar with driving on a track and did quite well.

There is an arcade, however, and that might be more age appropriate and fun for her.

I agree You have to be tall to do the F1 simulator,which is not the case for GS and myself. DH had a hard time getting out of the car as well. He is 5 10 and slightly chunky lol

Our cruise was very full of children as summer break is under way. The Sport bar was crowded especially during soccer and the NBA Championship. A few times the pins got tangled up and we had to wait for staff to come and untangle them. Everyone that bowled and used the 4D cinema were very polite and waited for their turn . Sometimes the kids/ families bowled together and shared the 4D theater.with other cruisers.

Hi Mikesa 1721

How can I purchase the $60 fun pass? That's a great deal:)

You purchase the pass in the area where the 4D Theater and F1 simulator are,on the 16 deck. When you get off the elevators you will be by the Galaxy Disco and restaurant area. Past the bar you will see an arcade,go through there and the room which is very dark and gloomy (at first you feel like you are entering an area for crew only) There will be a desk maxed by one of the entertainment staff. They will assist you and explain all the policies and rules..Have a great time and enjoy.

Just returned from Divina Western Caribbean Cruise. Myself,DH and 10 year old grandson. We all had a great time. The positives out number the negatives. Embarkation was stress free. GS doesn't have a passport. We brought a notorized letter of permission from his mother, and his birth certificate. We were on board and in the Calamet Buffet with in half hour.Dropped off our carry on prior. We always pack our bathing suits etc and a spare set of clothes just in case.

Food: Found the food in buffet to be plentiful and something for everyone. Pizza of course is great,fries although the type served changes as the cruise goes on were very good. Pasta,daily specialty selections changed every day. My GS went to town on the shrimp,lobster and fried calamari in Villa Rosa dinning room.

Service: Couteous, pleasant greeting us with a smile and very patient with us asking questions.

Entertainment: We bought a package for bowling, F1 and 4 D theater. Got our monies worth by first day. Try it ,you won't be disappointed. The shows are wonderful,the entertainment staff are wonderful. May I recommend the Opera that was performed one afternoon on sea day. My first time experiencing any for of Opera.This one is done with ballet incorporated. Superb!

Negatives: Steak and pasta were disappointing. Pool areas too crowded on sea days,with too many chair hogs. Lots of rude people that push into elevators without letting people out first.

please feel free to ask any questions.

I'd like to ask if they allow shorts in the dining room . My daughter and son in law and our 4 grandsons are booked for August, and have not cruised that line before. Wondering how dressy do people dress for dinner.

I'd like to ask if they allow shorts in the dining room . My daughter and son in law and our 4 grandsons are booked for August, and have not cruised that line before. Wondering how dressy do people dress for dinner.

We saw A LOT of shorts in the MDR and nobody was turned away. It seemed to me though that those wearing shorts did so with polo or buttoned shirts. Even with that, we tried to adhere to the recommended dress codes, even for casual evenings, except for the day we ported in St. Maarten. We returned to the ship a few minutes past our dinner after exploring all day, and we knew that if we went to our stateroom to change, we would miss our dinner window. So we went straight to the MDR. First, it was deserted since a lot of people were still ashore, and pretty much everyone that did make it, including ourselves, looked as if they'd had the same idea that we had so we didn't feel out of place in our less than appropriate attire.

People did dress up quite considerably for formal nights though. Keep in mind that they also have "themed nights", like the Italian night when people wear red, green and white. BTW, the photography on this ship was, in our opinion, exceptional. We came home with some of the best formal portraits that we've ever had on any cruise that we've ever been on, so it was well worth it to dress up and have our photos taken.

Edited by Tapi

Most people dressed up on formal night,although some came in shorts and tee shirts. Being from Florida my GS doesn't wear pants àlot so he did wear shorts with a nice collared shirt on casual nights. There are Theme nights too so you can go with that as well .white shorts and white top, red shorts with a white and green shirt etc and have fun with it lol

On White Night people really did get dressed up.I wish had known about it before we cruised.

Tapi and Alpal1993. Thanks so much for the information. That'll be a great. It will be much easier if the boys can wear shorts in the MDR on days other than formal nights. The theme nights sound like fun!!

I have another question:) At the buffet or even in the MDR,do they offer any beverage for free. On some of the other lines, they have lemonade or ice tea that is complimentary.

I have another question:) At the buffet or even in the MDR,do they offer any beverage for free. On some of the other lines, they have lemonade or ice tea that is complimentary.

Yes there are several beverage stations in buffet. Serving coffee tea and different juice selections such as cranberry ,and other fruit juices at breakfast. Ice tea lemonade etc are served all day in buffet. In the dinning room our water was refilled throughout the meal. You probably can get ice tea as well if you asked for it. You can purchase a soda card alone or ones that offer ice cream,specialty coffees etc