Drinks and Food query for MSC Noobie

Burgmeister

Hi folks

We have sailed RCCL 3 times and NCL once and have really enjoyed them all. I am considering trying MSC and I appreciate that they might be a bit different to the other lines. I really like ot be as clued up on the total cost of a holiday as I can prior to making a booking so I wondered whether anyone could help me out with a couple of queries? Bare in mind this would be for a European cruise and a UK customer if that makes a difference.

Firstly - Drinks. If you don't have a package what sort of price are the drinks to buy individually? What drinks are available free of charge (tea, coffee, water, cordials etc?) If you have the lower of the 2 inclusive drinks packages which ones wouldn't be included (my wife and I do like to partake in the odd cocktail or 2 whilst on holiday).

Secondly - Food. What sort of outets are included in the base fare? I understand that you may not be able to sit in the MDR if you are on a Bella fare but for other fares you can. I also understand that there is a buffet restaurant. Is that open all day? Are there other outlets similar perhaps to O'Sheehans or Sorrentos where you can grab a quick snack?

Thanks in advance for any help that may be coming my way.

Cheers

Hi folks

We have sailed RCCL 3 times and NCL once and have really enjoyed them all. I am considering trying MSC and I appreciate that they might be a bit different to the other lines. I really like ot be as clued up on the total cost of a holiday as I can prior to making a booking so I wondered whether anyone could help me out with a couple of queries? Bare in mind this would be for a European cruise and a UK customer if that makes a difference.

Firstly - Drinks. If you don't have a package what sort of price are the drinks to buy individually? What drinks are available free of charge (tea, coffee, water, cordials etc?) If you have the lower of the 2 inclusive drinks packages which ones wouldn't be included (my wife and I do like to partake in the odd cocktail or 2 whilst on holiday).

Secondly - Food. What sort of outets are included in the base fare? I understand that you may not be able to sit in the MDR if you are on a Bella fare but for other fares you can. I also understand that there is a buffet restaurant. Is that open all day? Are there other outlets similar perhaps to O'Sheehans or Sorrentos where you can grab a quick snack?

Cheers

For drinks, first the prices are more reasonable than at Royal Caribbean. They always have a cocktail of the day which comes also at a reduced price. I cannot give you the price in Euro, since our last cruise with MSC was based on US dollar, but the prices were around 6 US dollar plus service charge for a cocktail. Specialty coffees like capuchino (about 3.50 dollar) or expresso (about 2). Acceptable wines per glass about 5.50 dollar. Please be aware that the prices seem to increase a litle in the European zone.

At the buffet restaurant you can get included on the cruise fare, water, coffee, tea, juices. This the whole day. Here you can also get food and snacks during the day. By the way for breakfast and lunch the buffett restaurant is very good. Not so much for dinner.

At the main restaurant you do not get any drink not even water, unless you pay additionally for it. If you dine at the main restaurant be prepared for waiting a long time. It takes about two hours....

Overall you will get plenty of food. No need to worry about it.

The first day of the cruise they sell some packages for drinks. Sometimes we have bought a package for wine which was 6 botles of wine. For a seven day cruise that was Ok for us.

Hi folks

Cheers

MSC isn't big on specialty restaurants, and some of the fleet only have the mdr and buffet. in contrast to ncl, the mdr is always open for lunch. Even on a bella experience you can use the mdr for breakfast and lunch. If the ship is full then there is full waiter service with the dinner menu in a special section of the buffet.

Free drinks available in the buffet are tea, coffee, water and watered down juice.

The £20 per day allegrissimo package is excellent value with loads of cocktails, 2 red, 2 white, rose and sparkling wine included, spirits and draft beer (heineken)

In the evenings there are canapes / appetizers available, and pastries at the coffee bar during the day

(At the main restaurant you do not get any drink not even water, unless you pay additionally for it. If you dine at the main restaurant be prepared for waiting a long time. It takes about two hours....)

Above was posted by travelberlin. In the main dining room will I have to pay for an ice tea? Water? Am booked in Fantastica, does this make a difference?

If you can afford it go for the allegrissimo package, sounds a lot money wise but worth every penny, also included is the gelato ice cream and the speciality coffee plus bottled water which you can get with meals, wine by the glass, if you want sparkling wine or other drinks the waiters will get them for you.

MSC is not the usual run of the mill cruise line and do things different, go with an open mind and enjoy the cruise.

(At the main restaurant you do not get any drink not even water, unless you pay additionally for it. If you dine at the main restaurant be prepared for waiting a long time. It takes about two hours....)

Above was posted by travelberlin. In the main dining room will I have to pay for an ice tea? Water? Am booked in Fantastica, does this make a difference?

Don't know if this applies to all MSC cruises, but I heard of free water packages for those who booked via MSC USA.

Free water is not that usual in european restaurants.

Don't know if this applies to all MSC cruises, but I heard of free water packages for those who booked via MSC USA.

Free water is not that usual in european restaurants.

I believe, from reports on CC, that you are correct. US passengers get a 1 litre bottle of water with dinner.

Drink prices are numerically similar but in Euro. Allegrissimo package is great value if you like a few drinks, including water and good coffee, every day.

My parents were on the Divina a few weeks ago. They reported drinking water and coffee in the main dining room at no additional charge.

I will be watching this thread closely, we too are from the UK and thinking about booking a cruise for next year on Preziosa, sailing from Southampton.

One would automatically expect drinking water to be provided free with a meal. How strange that it is not.

I see in 2017 there are new packages coming in. No mention of water included.

I will be watching this thread closely, we too are from the UK and thinking about booking a cruise for next year on Preziosa, sailing from Southampton.

One would automatically expect drinking water to be provided free with a meal. How strange that it is not.

hi Suzez

We're from the UK and can confirm that water is not provided in the dining room at lunch or dinner. tea coffee juices and water are provided at breakfast.

The new packages aren't really new, they're re-branding what is currently called allegrissimo to 'all inclusive'. This definitely does include water. IMO it's great value for money with some great choices

hi Suzez

We're from the UK and can confirm that water is not provided in the dining room at lunch or dinner. tea coffee juices and water are provided at breakfast.

The new packages aren't really new, they're re-branding what is currently called allegrissimo to 'all inclusive'. This definitely does include water. IMO it's great value for money with some great choices

Do you get water in the drinks package please?

yes you do, bottles of still or sparkling.

The other drinks available in the package are also brilliant; plenty of choice. Even if you're not a heavy drinker you may find it's worth it to get Lavazza coffees, nice teas, hot chocolate, water, tins of pop and non alcoholic cocktails

hi Suzez

I am disappointed to hear that MSC will not provide drinking water to its customers. Water is a basic human need. How will MSC respond to the lawsuit from a customer who died of dehydration because MSC refused a basic human need?

I am disappointed to hear that MSC will not provide drinking water to its customers. Water is a basic human need. How will MSC respond to the lawsuit from a customer who died of dehydration because MSC refused a basic human need?

They probably won't. There's no need to expect any of the MSC pax to be dehydrated since all they need do is turn on the tap.

Just wondering if you may want to rethink MSC as your cruise line of choice. It's a different cruise line, has different rules, offers different options and is best known for it's European cruises.... In other words, it may seem to have different offerings and certainly their price structure is different as well.

Edited by All-ready2cruise
PS

If you are an American citizen sailing MSC in Europe,,you will be given 1 liter of either still or sparkling water during dinner,,,

Water is not included for UK passengers unless you are an Aurea guest or have the allegrissimo package., then you get as many bottles as you want.

I have found that flashing my BLACK CARD to the head waiter and politely asking for (not demanding) glasses of tap water to be put on the table for dinner,worked. We had water for all eight people on my table every night

Pete

there is water in the buffet, just not in the MDR.

I have found that flashing my BLACK CARD

Pete, it's off topic i know but do you have a real (plastic) card??

I just received a email with a black card that i could print but then it's just paper...

If you do have a plastic one do you know where i could ask for one too?