For Americans/Canadians-How often do you cruise the MEDITERRANEAN?

Love2Cruz2015

I recently returned from my first Med cruise on the MSC Orchestra and loved it so much I want to return soon. I did an Eastern Itinerary and am now interested in a Western Itinerary and maybe one that includes Morocco.. I know MSC has these itins. I would even cancel one of my already booked cruises but with airfare being a considerable expense, I may just wait till 2018 or 19 to fly again.

How often do you cross the pond for one of these cruises? Which other itineraries do you recommend?

I recently returned from my first Med cruise on the MSC Orchestra and loved it so much I want to return soon. I did an Eastern Itinerary and am now interested in a Western Itinerary and maybe one that includes Morocco.. I know MSC has these itins. I would even cancel one of my already booked cruises but with airfare being a considerable expense, I may just wait till 2018 or 19 to fly again.

How often do you cross the pond for one of these cruises? Which other itineraries do you recommend?

We've never been to Europe but after reading your review we're seriously considering an Eastern Med itinerary onboard MSC Musica in 2017. Venice has always been a dream destination for us but I'm so hesitant to book right now without knowing exactly the cost of round trip air and hotel,,,

Edited by Mikesa1721

We have flown to Europe to cruise four times, two in the Med. Also three Transatlantics that ended in Europe. Would go again in a heartbeat, there are so many great offers out there. But the cost of airfare...EM

We have done an Eastern med, Baltic capitals, Norwegian fjords. All on NCL. Have now booked the Preziosa to Svalbard for 2017. I love northern Europe ... More so than the med. I think the north lends itself to being seen on a cruise - but countries and places around the med are better seen - and are a more immersive experience if done on a land based holiday.

But either way - you can't really lose.. Europe is a lovely destination regardless of travel mode.

We have done an Eastern med, Baltic capitals, Norwegian fjords. All on NCL. Have now booked the Preziosa to Svalbard for 2017. I love northern Europe ... More so than the med. I think the north lends itself to being seen on a cruise - but countries and places around the med are better seen - and are a more immersive experience if done on a land based holiday.

But either way - you can't really lose.. Europe is a lovely destination regardless of travel mode.

Northern European is also on my to do list...but I hear the ports and venues are not nearly as nice as the Med. Again, this is subjective. I still think it's worth a visit and I would only do it by cruise as it's my favorite mode of travel. I would do Europe every year if it wasn't for the airfare and the extended paid leave I would need...it will probably be an every other year or every 2 years trip. Asia is also on my list. I know Lirica is in Asia but not open to booking by Americans.

And a itinerary around the UK, Scotland Ireland would also be nice.

I've done two Eastern European cruises with Costa and one with MSC on the Adriatic.

I preferred the itinerary on the Adriatic but perhaps that's because I'd already been to most of the Med ports prior to the cruises.

I think we are somewhat spoiled in Canada WRT airfares to Europe. We have two discount airlines --- Air Transat and Rouge --- that offer pretty inexpensive flights to Barcelona, Rome, Venice, etc.

To give some context, Toronto to Barcelona return and Toronto to Rome return are both in the C$750 range for July departures. That's less than US$600, taxes in. Of course, these are the K-Mart of airlines, but who cares? I'd stand all the way to Europe for the right price.

I've done two Eastern European cruises with Costa and one with MSC on the Adriatic.

I preferred the itinerary on the Adriatic but perhaps that's because I'd already been to most of the Med ports prior to the cruises.

I think we are somewhat spoiled in Canada WRT airfares to Europe. We have two discount airlines --- Air Transat and Rouge --- that offer pretty inexpensive flights to Barcelona, Rome, Venice, etc.

To give some context, Toronto to Barcelona return and Toronto to Rome return are both in the C$750 range for July departures. That's less than US$600, taxes in. Of course, these are the K-Mart of airlines, but who cares? I'd stand all the way to Europe for the right price.

Wow, if I had access to those prices, I'd travel to Europe more often. I think in the US, it's the taxes they pile on that make it so expensive.

Have never been, the cost of airfare and so much unrest gives us concern.

I am doing a Med cruise in October followed by a Transatlantic. Also did a Transatlantic in May this year followed by a week in Ireland.

Love Europe and don't waste my money in the Caribbean any more.

I like MSC in Europe too.

To get around the flight issue I will try to use airmiles one way and sail the other. AAdvantage miles does one way to Europe for 20,000 miles (30,000 high season). These can be purchased for approx $500.

Also have Westjet and Air Transat from Vancouver for one way flights. Icelandair and Aer Lingus do one way flights.

• 10 months later...

We are planning a Mediterranean for our Anniversary in 2019. While we are willing to go at any time during the year we are hoping to actually be there for our anniversary which is in November and so MSC and NCL seem to be the only ones that do it at that time. My question for those that have sailed MSC in Europe. Are shows etc. in English? Not that it really matters, but just curious. Thanks.

I don't know if MSC has a similar program, but when we've done transatlantic cruises to the Med with Celebrity, we've always used their air program (ChoiceAir). A fare that would have cost us over $4,000 each cost less than $700 each doing that. Same plane, same seats, a good choice of airlines, times, etc.

We are planning a Mediterranean for our Anniversary in 2019. While we are willing to go at any time during the year we are hoping to actually be there for our anniversary which is in November and so MSC and NCL seem to be the only ones that do it at that time. My question for those that have sailed MSC in Europe. Are shows etc. in English? Not that it really matters, but just curious. Thanks.

NO!, the shows don't rely on language. but are heavily geared to visual spectacle

most of the songs in the production shows are in English, (many of the dancers / singers are British),

except opera or Italian night shows

Pete

We did our first med cruise this year (Italy, Greece, Montenegro Croatia). We are looking at going again next year. Our first trip to Europe was 2016 to Rome and Venice. I was very glad we did the land trip to Rome and Venice because one day on a cruise would not have been enough and this trip made us feel more comfortable traveling in Europe. It made our cruise much more enjoyable this year. Air from Detroit 750 this year which I thought was a great deal. A little less prior year from Chicago. Hotels much less expensive than I expected. We did not do any excursions and planned our own activities which was quite a cost saving. We need to travel during spring break or summer and our med cruise and air was less than a Caribbean cruise including airfare during spring break and much less crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are some sailings this coming Nov

HAL have Princendam 16 nights from 2nd Nov from Civitavecchia

Celebrity have Silhouette 15 nights from 4th Nov leaving from Civitavecchia

RCL have Vision OTS for 10 nights from Venice leaving 7th of Nov

Princess have Pacific Princess sailing from Venice for 12 nights leaving 11 Nov

There were also cruises on Viking and Azamara ships .

All this from a google search of

Mediterranean cruise november 2017

So there are cruises other than MSC and NCL

Hope you find a suitable cruise for your anniversary

Pete

This is an interesting thread and thank the OP. I have three boys and we have been sailing the caribbean. My boys are 9, 9 an 7...they are very active and not really into sight seeing. I have been wanting to sail the Mediterranean but don't think it would be worth taking them. I know i'm going to get a lot of opinions on my term "worth". If airfare was not so much then I would consider it...but it sounds like it would be a very different kind of vacation from the lazy beach caribbean vacation. Sounds like a busy vacation as far as sightseeing....is that right?

We took the boys to Alaska a couple of years ago and they were not into it at all. They just wanted to play in the kids club.

Here are some sailings this coming Nov

HAL have Princendam 16 nights from 2nd Nov from Civitavecchia

Celebrity have Silhouette 15 nights from 4th Nov leaving from Civitavecchia

RCL have Vision OTS for 10 nights from Venice leaving 7th of Nov

Princess have Pacific Princess sailing from Venice for 12 nights leaving 11 Nov

There were also cruises on Viking and Azamara ships .

All this from a google search of

Mediterranean cruise november 2017

So there are cruises other than MSC and NCL

Hope you find a suitable cruise for your anniversary

Pete

Yes, I have been searching too, but not all those cruises actually exist. For example, RCL Vision OTS isn't even in Europe then. The Celebrity Silhouette is a transatlantic. We are actually looking for one that begins and ends in Europe as we plan to visit family in Switzerland after as well.

A Med cruise is, so far for me, a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We did a 12-day from Barcelona to Venice, in 2014. It was not cheap - between the cabin costs (4 in an interior), airfare from Kansas City, and shore excursions, I think it ran about $5k each. However, we got to - Climb Vesuvius on Father's Day with my son, tread the same limestone tiles as Aristotle and Plato in Athens at the Parthenon, wander Las Ramblas in Barcelona, see the Library of Celsus in Ephysus, visit the Hagia Sophia and spice market in Istanbul, and many other adventures. Sleep? Who needs that? You can sleep at home...

I consider a cruise to be the way to determine what to go back to on our own.

My cruise next month will be my first, and the only thing that would hold me back from more, is pricing. I can take a couple of cruises/vacations here for what I'm paying for everything.

We have done family trips to the Baltic (Group of 23 on NCL Star) and Western Med (Group of 15 on the Epic), and are prepping for another group to the Eastern Med on Musica in July.

We waited until our boys were teens to do this, as we wanted to have memorable and educational experiences for all, and we are fortunate that it has ended up that way.

A few suggestions to families considering this type of trip from North America:

1. Watch for deals on flights and/or cruises. A year, or even two out on cruises can get some very good bargains.

2. Consider lower cost airlines. We have flown Aeroflot, Icelandair, WOW, and have booked Turkish air for the upcoming cruise.

3. Use airline miles. If it means a day or two before or after the cruise, all the better-- allows you to explore.

We are staying two days before and three days afterwards in Venice. We'll stay near VCE before an make a day trip to the Dolomites, and will stay in Venice afterwards.

4. Use private guides when it is economically more sensible to do so. I find them to be better in quality and price that ship's tours, if you do some research.

5. Fly out of hubs if possible, a bit of driving can be the difference between an $800 airfare and a $1400 airfare.

6. Consider going off-season. Airfare and cruises are lower, and cruises are often not as hectic. A few days off school may be worth it for the kids to see Rome or St. Petersburg.

7. Know the varying types of hotels, hostels, B&B's and camps in Europe. If you're adventurous, try some of the lower cost lodgings, but be mindful of location and getting around. I find European B&B's as the way to go, in general. Usually as good for lodging, and a better local flavor.

8. Do your homework. Check on CC for suggestions on cruises, ports, hotels, etc.

9. Do it! Getting out of North America and experiencing the European flavors and cultures is a great experience in and of itself.

Happy Cruising!

-Adam

One other thing I feel compelled to mention - enjoy the local products and cuisine! Two for-instances - in Toulon, France, right off the ship is a little market in a tent...they have bars of French soap, one Euro each. Absolutely stunning fragrances, and the mint one seems to act like caffeine.

The other is regular soda. They're made differently in Italy. Even brand names you might recognize (Fanta Orange, Schweppes Lemon) use completely different formulas than in the US/Canada, and the taste is amazing.

The gelato is so good in Italy I bought a machine to make it myself - not quite as good as true Italian, but it will hold me until I return.