Windstar Spirit

bobnpaml

We will be sailing on the Spirit Jan. 6, 2017. This will be our first Windstar cruise but have sailed a number of times on larger cruise ships.

Could someone please explain the embarkation procedures at Peepeete, Tahiti.

1. Is there a building/dock that we check into prior to boarding or do we check in on the ship.

2. Do we drop off our luggage prior to boarding or carry them with us. Even large suitcases.

3. Is there a security screening prior to boarding or when you actually come aboard. For both individuals and luggage.

I am sure I will have more questions but have found a lot of answers already thru these threads. And for that thank you.

There is no building. The Windstar staff are out on the dock. They will take the luggage that you don't want to carry and mark it with your room number. They will deliver it to your room. I don't remember them checking ID; I believe they ask your name and then checked you off a list. You will then board the ship and go to the lounge, for checking in. It is very fast. We were able to board after 1PM.

There is no building. The Windstar staff are out on the dock. They will take the luggage that you don't want to carry and mark it with your room number. They will deliver it to your room. I don't remember them checking ID; I believe they ask your name and then checked you off a list. You will then board the ship and go to the lounge, for checking in. It is very fast. We were able to board after 1PM.

There's nothing to prevent you from hauling your bags with you but most people like to get rid of them and they'll appear in your room in a couple hours.

Once on board it is a bit an assembly line but not onerous. You fill out a simple health form, and they take your passport and snap photos to ID you later as you leave and return to ship and scan a Credit card. From there one stop to pick up your cards and then lots of stations for spa appointments, liquor package, candles reservations, etc., which you can skip if you want. That's it. For a normal departure time in late afternoon they'll be serving lunch, and this is a good time to explore the ship on your 1st itin, check out DVDs and so on. Unpack and it'll be time for lifeboat drill and sail away.

Edited by milepig

Thank you for your replies. Wanted to know if boarding was more "big" cruise style or more river cruise.

Next question please, can you go back a shore after check in and lunch? Or just wait and check in after seeing Peepeete, and check in later in day!

Thank you for your replies. Wanted to know if boarding was more "big" cruise style or more river cruise.

Next question please, can you go back a shore after check in and lunch? Or just wait and check in after seeing Peepeete, and check in later in day!

You can typically go back on shore any time after checking in as long as you're back before "on board" time.

You can typically go back on shore any time after checking in as long as you're back before "on board" time.

Another option is to skip the checkin upfront and just drop your bags and head back out before going through the on-board checkin process.

If we just dropped off our bags at 1pm (not necessarily formally check in since the rooms will not be ready), which is the time they start boarding, what time do we need to be back on ship. The ship is scheduled to leave midnight. Can we just return in the evening, say for dinner and at that time formally check in.

We will be sailing on the Spirit Jan. 6, 2017. This will be our first Windstar cruise but have sailed a number of times on larger cruise ships.

Could someone please explain the embarkation procedures at Peepeete, Tahiti.

1. Is there a building/dock that we check into prior to boarding or do we check in on the ship.

2. Do we drop off our luggage prior to boarding or carry them with us. Even large suitcases.

3. Is there a security screening prior to boarding or when you actually come aboard. For both individuals and luggage.

I am sure I will have more questions but have found a lot of answers already thru these threads. And for that thank you.

Hi you are going to love the cruise. We just came back from a trip in August.

Embarkation is 1pm and they will not hold your bags beforehand. We just sat at a cafe opposite the port with our bags and waited. In retrospect would stay at hotel longer. Also the large local market in Papeete is just 2 blocks easy walk from the port. If one wants to mind the bags and the other shop.

Don't know if you are up to organising shore excursions yet but this info might help. The day you are moored in Tahaa the ship rents a motu and organises BBQ and lots of beach and water sport activities that day so don't book a shore excursion for Tahaa, it was a great day!

The special event motu day in Bora Bora is on the 2nd day in Bora Bora.

We always organise local excursions and in Huanine Poetaine circle island full day tour was fantastic. One of the best we have ever done.

You tender to all the ports except Raitaea nothing much in port so would definitely book an excursion there before you arrive. Local operators will pick you up from the docks. If you have anymore questions I am happy to answer them lpride@optusnet.com.au

The Windspirit is beautiful one of those cruises you would like to return to!

Hey Seabourne gypsy. Thank you for the excursion info. In regards to the bag drop off, many people have commented on CC and TA that they where able to drop their bags at 1pm before officially checking in and where able to explore Papeete before returning for check in later. So nott sure why it was different in your case. I have even asked Windstar and they have confirmed that yes one can drop off bags before check in.

I guess it was because we tried to leave our bags before 1pm. I think they are happy for you to leave your bags after 1pm and then explore Papeete and go through check in later. Before 1 pm they were just not ready to take bags.

This must be port specific. At BCN they were able to take our bags a couple hours early.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the great info and for your e-mail address. We'll be on the February 3 cruise and I'm in charge of planning the tours for my group of eight. They better appreciate it! Glad to know the motu event in Bora Bora is on the 2nd night. How strict are they with bringing alcohol on board? We will be bringing our 2 bottles of wine. Someone suggested I purchase our wine in LA at the duty free before our flight. Are there places in close proximity to the port for purchasing wine? Thanks for listing your e-mail address. I may have more questions for you.

Thanks so much for all the great info and for your e-mail address. We'll be on the February 3 cruise and I'm in charge of planning the tours for my group of eight. They better appreciate it! Glad to know the motu event in Bora Bora is on the 2nd night. How strict are they with bringing alcohol on board? We will be bringing our 2 bottles of wine. Someone suggested I purchase our wine in LA at the duty free before our flight. Are there places in close proximity to the port for purchasing wine? Thanks for listing your e-mail address. I may have more questions for you.

We came from Australia so purchased duty free during stopover in NZ. Not sure about purchasing in Tahiti when you arrive, it is a very small airport, maybe best to purchase in US?

We were travelling as 2 couples and by accident all 4 bottles we purchased were in one persons bag. Nothing was said when we got onboard so I don't think they check very throughly but that being said there aren't really any common areas away from the bars on board where you can bring out your own bottle and be aware that corkage is $15 a bottle. I brought a glass of wine with me of an evening when I came up from my cabin. We ended up taking 2 bottles away with us at the end of the cruise which wasn't a bad thing as we drunk them during our post cruise stay at a hotel. Alcohol on board is relatively cheap but expensive elsewhere in the Tahiti resorts. The friends we were travelling with purchased a drink package onboard and for them it was good value our bill at the end was $200 less but I think next time we would take a drink package as it seemed just so much nicer to order what you want when you want and not think about the price.

When you get to the stage of organising excursions let me know as we have been twice to Tahiti and 2 excursions for us definitely stood out. Don't forget not to book anything on your day in Tahaa as the day on the motu organised by Windspirit is a great day free with yoga and massages on the beach. Lots of water sports and snorkelling from the motu.

Hi

The 2 excursions we enjoyed the most were

1. Huahine we organised an island circuit tour with Poetaina tours at pensionpoetaina@mail.pf . It included 2 snorkelling stops, pearl farms, sacred eels and lunch on tables in the water after a lesson on how to prepare island food. What made it so special were the people running it so funny and friendly. Very genuine people who have the islanders sense of fun. Lots of little extras like the rum punch and they Gave the ladies vine headresses so we could decorate them with flowers. They will pick you up from the tender dock in a decorated outrigger canoe.

2. The other excursion we very much enjoyed was the shark and stingray encounter on Bora Bora. We did it as a day trip with motu lunch ( pig in pit and French champagne ) with Patrick he is well known in Bora Bora. Trouble is he has become so popular tends to charge according to numbers. First time we went it was $130 but worth it. when we inquired the last time he wanted to charge $500 far to much. You can just do the shark and stingray encounter without lunch. Maybe enquire with him to get a price but if too expensive. I would try one of the other operators on trip advisor. But don't miss the shark and stingray encounter . It will be a highlight.

Thanks seabourne for the additional advice. We are flying out of Los Angeles and someone on another board suggested we purchase wine in the duty free there.

We have one tour planned on Moorea with FrankeyFrank. It's a 3.5 hour tour for 8 of us. Read good reviews on TA.

Hope to do a combined jet ski/snorkel/rays/shark tour on one day in Bora Bora (maybe the first afternoon) and then a land tour on the second afternoon. We all want to go to Bloody Mary's . The BBQ is the second night in Bora Bora, correct?